Heat concerns over stacked 315W vertical 5 plant grow

gr865

I am considering a Stacked (2 - 315W) Vertical 5 Plant Scree grow. I have Vertical experience with a single 400W HPS. Right now I have one 315 and planned on doing a stacked grow with the 315 as the top light and a 400W HPS as the lower light. I believe I can get a good deal on another 315 and if I can I will use two 315's.

I am in a 4x4 tent 7' tall, 6" Max-Fan, three speed, 291 to 420 CFM, inline suction fan beyond the 6" Phrish filter, that is exhausted into the garage, so I believe I have plenty of air movement through the tent. I also have an AC if needed in the room I draw my intake air from. From the lights to the screen I have minimum of 16" and a max of 22". My ballast will be outside the tent so the only heat will come from the lamps themselves. Growing in coco 2 gallon Smart Pots with automated drip irrig. using the BlackHoles emitter.

My question is: Will I have a heat problem with the 2 315W lamps in the tent?

This first photo is of the light stand for the lower light, it is set up for the 400W at present but I can change that to the 315 if I go that direction. If you note the red arrows, I can switch the PVC pipe out to change the height of the lamp. This are 6" rizers in the unit now, can go up to 18", but don't think I will ever need to go over 12".
20161130_140626_21.jpg

These are the frames without the net on them, 20 x 40 inch frame, overall height is 54". The 315W that will hang is not in this picture but will hang directly above the bottom lamp.
20161130_140550.jpg

Pic with the net attached. Note that each individual screen is movable as I stated above, from 16" to 22" from the bulbs.
20161207_094622_2_.jpg

The fan is not centered on the screen in this pic, but you get the idea.
20161207_094641.jpg

Thanks in advance!

GR

No one has grown like this before, can't believe I am the first.
Would just like some thoughts, positive or neg.

GR

Well I just ordered the new 315W, so I will be running the stacked 315's.
I am looking forward to this grow, light is everything. I have gone from a 16 light CFL with home made fixture, to a SS400 LED, to a 400W HPS, to a combo 315/SS400 LED, and now will be using the two CMH.

I will start a new thread when I get it all together after I return from a long needed vacation next month. Want to plant in late may early June, not sure if it will be seed or clones. I need to see if the plants from this grow are worth keeping the clones or not. Either way, I will veg for a minimum of 6 weeks, and start the training at week three or four of veg.

You can review my last attempt at vert, it was a long grow that failed. It was my error for not paying enough attention to the Blumat watering system. The plants basically cooked, all ended up in the compost pile, thought I could salvage them but nahhhhhh! I have now set up an auto system that worked will with is grow.

I harvest one plant tonight, second one next week. 100% Canna coco, with Canna nutes, auto irrigation. This is the two plant grow under the 315W and the SS400 LED.
20170407_090508_2_.jpg

GR

I admire the vision and direction you're taking here this is very cool! Subbed, excited to see everything along the way. Definitely interested in taking a look at how the rest will look, especially drip system. Cheers ✌

Basic rez setup
info_on_rez.jpg

Same setup only showing more detail and the lower rez.
Manifold_pics_1.jpg

Home made anti-syphoning device
20170306_113557.jpg

In tent manifold.
20170213_184221.jpg

At present I am running BlackHoles emitters,

20170412_072417.jpg

but going today to check out other drip components, also need a way to prevent complete line dumping after shut off. Now when my system shuts down everything in the lines from the main manifold to the emitters drain into the plants, which is about a gallon or so extra. So if I set my timer for 1 minute, the drainage after shut down gives me more nute solution that I want. At present I am running 4 cycles and should have less than one gallon runoff for the 4 times but I am getting 3 to 4 gallons and that is not acceptable.
I am thinking of going to smaller multiple emitters, have time before next grow to figure that one out.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

GR

It's alive!! This sure opens up a new path of studying for me.. To be honest I'm lost for words lol Never worked with a drip system before. But I definitely understand your concerns with the runoff, you are worried about all that excess water into the plants? Maybe some kind of pump that could bring back out the excess, connected to a line that feeds through all the others, but then you would need shut off valves Closed valves on all lines when in use, open during pumped excess extraction.

It's alive!! This sure opens up a new path of studying for me.. To be honest I'm lost for words lol Never worked with a drip system before. But I definitely understand your concerns with the runoff, you are worried about all that excess water into the plants? Maybe some kind of pump that could bring back out the excess, connected to a line that feeds through all the others, but then you would need shut off valves Closed valves on all lines when in use, open during pumped excess extraction.

I am growing in coco so the extra water to the Smart Pots is not a problem, only the waste of nutes and water. You do not want to reuse the water that has past thru the pots, did that and got fucked big time. And having to shut valves and then reopening them defeats the purpose of the auto system, having to be there all the time.

GR

Back
Top Bottom