UV lighting thread

Advocate420

Okay. I am having trouble finding input and answers.

How should UV lighting be used in conjunction with HID lighting?

Should it be used during veg, flower or just late flower ?

Should is be used in short durations to prevent plant cell damage or can is be used the full 12/12

This is pure UV lighting, much more powerful then any black light. I know it can help produce more resin. How are you using it ?

There is limited information on this site and on the web in regards to using UV lighting. Please help me create an informative thread. Look forward to learning more about this. Thank you.
Pic for attention.
IMG_040257.JPG
IMG_040449.JPG
IMG_040356.JPG

UV studies are still very new so I haven't seen any specific studies on cannabis which highlight the best or proper ways to use it.

UV-B generally is the UV light associated with a plants protective measures which amounts usually in higher anthocyanin production an trichome production. (basically the plants sunscreens) Its also shown to increase phenolics and flavinoids in plants.

The specific receptor responsible for this reaction is the UVR8 receptor which has only been discovered within the last 5 years.

I wonder if the plant will react to UV-B like humans do. Does the plant respond to the sunburn by secreting resin as a sunblock.

That is the theory ! Still think it's fishy not to have more experience offered lol

If I could think of a practical approach. I'm no science major. I'm just getting going so no flexibility to experiment. There is little mention over the years. Maybe it doesn't wor idk

What kind of bulbs are they? what range of UV light do they emit?

I would use them sparingly at first, maybe 2-3 hours a day in the middle of your daylight period to start and see how your plants react. UV is damaging to plant cells just like humans, so the goal is finding the right amount of damage that causes trichomes to form, but not enough to slow or damage plant growth...

I would start slow, and see how the plants react and if you see no harm bump it up slightly little by little until you feel comfortable and see a favorable change.

I would use them sparingly at first, maybe 2-3 hours a day in the middle of your daylight period to start and see how your plants react. UV is damaging to plant cells just like humans, so the goal is finding the right amount of damage that causes trichomes to form, but not enough to slow or damage plant growth...

I would start slow, and see how the plants react and if you see no harm bump it up slightly little by little until you feel comfortable and see a favorable change.

Finally some interaction!

They are 75% UVB and 25% UVA T5 bulbs ( clearly more powerful then any aquarium or reptile bulbs. I learned after scorching my eyes.) Oops.
Sounds like I may be on the right track. I had s feeling it was like high stress training. Damaging so it repairs stronger but doesn't die. I'm going to have to be careful with these bad boys.

Makes a lot of sense.

the LEDs I will have in flower will have 1 UV diode, I have 2 300w (140ish draw) one have a UV and one doesn't. but I dont think it makes a difference in veg. heard somewhere the UV could help with pests, one of the sales pitches on teh cheap chinese LED boxes.. lol

Pest deterrent is always welcomed here lol. Yea I was only thinking of exposing the some in veg to slowly introduce them to the UV. Since I will intentionally be hurting my lady.
So you just started with U V lighting?

Just started growing,,lol (well, first run in 8 or 9 years and then it was HID not LED) didn't really think about UV, just saw that the LED I bought had it. I bought different panels from different makers. since they were cheap chinese panels, i figure if I got a bum one from a bad company, it would only be one panel down, not potentially all of them,,lol spread the risk.

Yeah. But wouldnt the primo stuff stop growing in countries like afghanistan if high uv would burn plants?

Yeah. But wouldnt the primo stuff stop growing in countries like afghanistan if high uv would burn plants?

Most of the light they receive is UVA which is less harmful than UVB and UVC. Most UVB and UVC get absorbed by water and gasses in the atmosphere so very little UVB hits the surface, and little to no UVC hits the surface of the earth.

Good to know. These lamps usually are UVB and UVA afaik. While it burns your skin (ask fanleaf lol) it doesnt seem to hurt plants.

Yea the UVB is definitely more harsh on living things than UVA, but they still both pack a lot of energy in the photons. UVA actually can drive photosynthesis around 380nm which is why some consider the PAR range of light to include some UVA... down to 380nm..

There also is a receptor called the UVR8 which was just recently discovered which uses UVA light to trigger plant responses similar to the SAR response from like methyl jasmonic acid. This typically results in higher levels of anthocyanins...

UVB less is known about, and too much could be damaging to plants, but very little that I have found goes into details, especially with cannabis. I do have a good study/writeup combing multiple UV-B studies, but I'm at work so I will try to find it later when i get home and post it if I can find it.

Back
Top Bottom