Newbe with question

Twogone

I have a 17' by 17' glass greenhouse and my plants are still not getting enough light. A friend has given me a number of light fixtures that came form a closed down sawmill. They are made by Cooper lighting and the catalog number is FM 408. They can be found on the internet. The T Type is CWA which I have been able to determine means Constant Wattage Autotransformer. They have 400 watt bulbs in them but they are just for lighting, not growing. I also have some HORTLUX metal Halide Conversion Grow lamps and they call for a S51 ballast. My question is: Is a CWA ballast the same as a S51 ballast (so I can use the Grow bulbs in these fixtures? Thanks for your help, twogone

Not sure about the ballasts, but your Cooper lights would work great for growing. I assume they are MH bulbs which are perfect for the Veg stage. You would just need to get 400w HPS bulbs for the Flower stage.

Many thanks for the response. Yes, you are correct the MH bulbs that came with the fixtures will work. The fixtures were covered in a thick coat of sawmill dust and I was cleaning one up yesterdayand uncovered a second label on the ballast. It reads "HPS, MH, HG'' which I assume means High Pressure Sodium, Metal Halide and Mercury vapor. What luck, if would appear these Cooper lamps will run almost any kind of bulb. I may try a combination and switch them independently. Thanks again for your advice, Cheers & Happy Easter; Twogone

OK!!!!!!!!!! I'm excited. As you say, they are perfect and they didn't cost me a cent. Looking forward to some super plants.
Thanks once more for your help and advice.
Cheers; Twogone

Back
Top Bottom