Jbro

hey guys,
hope everyones going sweet out there :)
Im definitely not new to the outdoor grow but totally new to the indoor grow and looking between a mars hydro 96 reflector or a mars hydro mars II 400. is there any recommendations to either of these? i don't want to get to technical for my first grow but really wanna understand whats going to be easy and effective with LED.

any help would be great :)
thanks
JBRO

search in the lighting section in the growers section.. lots of info... some say good and some say bad... cob ppl will say they are the best, quite possibly. But some others have luck with lights of this type. I have read that the mars2 run a little warmer than someother models.
hope this helps

First of all how big is your grow area?

Are these the only light source you will be using?

How many plants are you looking to grow?

These are the major factors for deciding what light is good for you.

Example:

In a 4 x 4 x 6/8 foot high area the epistar 320 is the best for that space growing a Max 8-10 plants depending on what grow style your going to be using like scrog, lst or just straight grow with a trim and topping.

First of all how big is your grow area?

Are these the only light source you will be using?

How many plants are you looking to grow?

These are the major factors for deciding what light is good for you.

Example:

In a 4 x 4 x 6/8 foot high area the epistar 320 is the best for that space growing a Max 8-10 plants depending on what grow style your going to be using like scrog, lst or just straight grow with a trim and topping.

2.5L x 2.5W x 5.3H 0r 70cmx70cmx160cm is the size tent I'm looking at, mainly looking at 1 plant ScrOG in DWC. the 96 reflector is about 200 watt and the Mars II 400 is at 400 watt, so unsure on how much difference these lights are being the same price in Aus $ and bang for buck. strictly looking at LED only for a first grow for ease of use with the veg/bloom for single light.

I have two reflector96 and I like them so far. The plants are still in veg, so can not comment on fllwer, but the plants are liking the lights. More light is better, the reflector is rated 2x3 foot coverage but more would be better.
xobe is pointing you in a good direction, those lights are pricier but suppose to be mre intense.

Yes,compare with Reflector series,and the Mars Pro II series,Mars II will run a little warmer,this model install with glass cover.:high-five:
search in the lighting section in the growers section.. lots of info... some say good and some say bad... cob ppl will say they are the best, quite possibly. But some others have luck with lights of this type. I have read that the mars2 run a little warmer than someother models.
hope this helps

:goodjob:yes,the Mars Pro series is little expensive among our lights,but it will better light performance.:thumb:
I have two reflector96 and I like them so far. The plants are still in veg, so can not comment on fllwer, but the plants are liking the lights. More light is better, the reflector is rated 2x3 foot coverage but more would be better.
xobe is pointing you in a good direction, those lights are pricier but suppose to be mre intense.

hey sara, this is what I figured. The mars pro is suppose to be a better light, I just could not spend the extra to light a smaller area than the reflectors. how many watt is each diode in the pro? I know they are multi diode chips but not aware of the wattage of each chip.

jbro, sara is from mars she can help you out.

I agree custom cobs are more "intense"ly appealling. I didnt find them and knew nothing about them or may ave gone that route. But I had no knowledge of what they were or how to start. Thats why I told him to look at led thread.
I got reflectors because for the price with 5w leds they were better reviewed and lower priced than some other low watt leds. Didnt have 3w leds at least and local shipping with no duty. There are alot of overpriced leds I find, but I chose best performance for price of the type I got. Maybe I am wrong. We will see in a couple months I hope!

:circle-of-love:We use 5w upgraded chips in our Mars Pro II series.If you need small light,you can check the Mars Pro II Epistar80 Mars Pro II Epistar120.
1000_.jpg

1000cemian.jpg

hey sara, this is what I figured. The mars pro is suppose to be a better light, I just could not spend the extra to light a smaller area than the reflectors. how many watt is each diode in the pro? I know they are multi diode chips but not aware of the wattage of each chip.

jbro, sara is from mars she can help you out.

One of the advantages that some COB technology has over older discreet diodes is being more efficient at converting electrical energy into light that the plant can use. That's the primary reason I constructed my current arrays-it also allowed me to build lamps that were best for my grow space(walk-in closet).
That being said, I have grown some pretty primo using simple Mars lamps-still have a couple of the old 300's that I can use if needed. I would look at the spec sheet of the two and see which one can produce the most umole of energy. That should help determining which one is the best value.

The Mars 2 400 is NOT producing 400 watts. You need to be looking at the true watts... which is in the details when you look at the Mars Hydro page. (They list 'Draw Power').

I have a Mars 2 1200 and if it put out 1200 watts I would be irradiating my tent which is a square meter. The Mars2 1200 is just barely enough light for my space (3.28 feet squared)... It is actually less than 600 true watts.

So the Mars 2 400 is listed at 177 watts and the Reflector 96 is listed at 207 watts.

If you have a square tent... I'd go for the Mars2... it will fit your footprint better, the watt difference is truly negligible, and you get better penetration with the Mars2. If you were working with a rectangular tent, the reflector would fill the space better.

There is also the less costly option of the original Mars 300 (135 true watts) and 600 (265 true watts) which they do not sell on their site but they do still sell through ebay and amazon (still made by Mars Hydro). I bought the Mars 300 first to make sure I liked the tech... and although I have upgraded since... I still use it in my veg cabinet.

I am happy with my Mars lights... for now. Of course I'd love a Gavita or Amare... but I am a broke beeotch. Maybe once I don't have to pay for my smoke in addition to everything. Mars lamps are great for people new to the growing game and as far as affordability... simply cannot be beat.

Buy once cry once.

I have ran Mars and I now run a diy setup.

As Mars is a sponsor that's all I'm allowed to say.

+1 Worst mistake I ever made, works well the first grow or so, then... Well, you don't want to figure it for yourself, do you?

Do some research and you will find that the best quality-price option is to build it yourself, it is not difficult, and much more convenient (by the way those days we all use passive coolers,while most if not all the comercial lights come with a loud as hell fans,so good luck finding this on a budget... diy is the way to go if you want to go led(cob)

Peace:Namaste:

bit of an update. I am still running the mars 96 reflector. I also added 2 chinese cobs at 50w each and a few cfls but the plants are loving it, they are 6 weeks into flower and filling up nicely with bud. a five foot bc bigbud and about a four foot blueberry. I finished a blueberry and hashplant already and they wre nice andsticky. to each his own. I am happy with my mars, but in the future will prob try buiding some because of price. I have a couple computer powr supplies so I am thinking running a bunch of 9v crees with voltage limmiters or getting some cheap chineaee 12v to do it. 500w of 12 power from the comp supply so I can run my fans from it as well.

2.5L x 2.5W x 5.3H 0r 70cmx70cmx160cm is the size tent I'm looking at, mainly looking at 1 plant ScrOG in DWC. the 96 reflector is about 200 watt and the Mars II 400 is at 400 watt, so unsure on how much difference these lights are being the same price in Aus $ and bang for buck. strictly looking at LED only for a first grow for ease of use with the veg/bloom for single light.

My tent is 2'x2' and my Mars Pro II 80 is great!
It say its equivalent to 200W HPS, not sure if its true, but my plant really love it! :)

IMG_20170611_144830.jpg

We will have a COB led grow light come out soon, have you noticed that? CREE CXB 3590 and MW driver .
I'm going with Mars for my first grow since I was looking for a convenient plug and play setup. I've mostly seen positive reviews.:blunt:

I'd like to try a COB setup in the future though to compare the results.

C266.jpg

Picture here. this is the highest quality mars hydro make. but the price is a bit high also. you can get what you pay for ,so if you want get the best product, please do not mind the price ,it will be high for sure, but worth it :)

Back
Top Bottom