COB DIY Journal

Gree N

Hey there fellow 420 friends, I'll be putting together a few different types of COB's and will detail them here, currency I will be dealing is AU$, just hoping for constructive feedback and to put my experiments out here for other people to build on.

My first learning curve was quick, I ordered 5
s-l5004.jpg
CLU038 citizen chips that have a max currant of 1380ma and test current of 550ma. On eBay the seller listed them as "55 watt cob" so I purchased 5 constant current power supply's listed as "50 watt led power supply".
After some feedback from fellow 420 members and a lot of research I found when working with cobs that watts are irrelevant, it's imperative you match the milliamps and voltage for the cob.
When running cobs for long periods of time it is recommended to run them under there maximum output the main reason is to manage heat/electricity more efficiently and extend the life of the cobs.

After a lot of procrastination I decided to purchase this
elg-150-cseries.jpg

So I'll be running them at 700ma which is going to be only about 3000lumen per cob, but still manageable.

Next on purchase order I'm hoping to put some $$$$ together and build about 6-10 vero28 cobs.

In the meantime have already ordered a whole bunch of random aftermarket COBS for experimental sakes.

"100w warm white & 70w Blue"
s-l160012.jpg
$30

"3x100w warm white"
s-l500_1_.jpg
$18

"5x 100w warm white"
s-l500_3_.jpg
$18

"3x 50w full spectrum"
s-l1600_1_.jpg
$16

"2x 100w cool white inc. drivers"
s-l1600_2_.jpg
$26

Finally got a few parcels in; 5x 1500ma/36V dc constant current led power supplies for $7 each.
5x clu038 citizen chips for $12 ea.
1x 70w/34v blue cob. 1x 100w/36v warm white.

Finally got my finger tips dirty today,

First build; $71
100w warm white $16 - 70w blue $12 - 2 x 1500ma ps $14 - heatsink (200mm x 75 mm) from bargain bin at electronic store $10 - wiring $6 - thermal past $3 - 70mm pc fan $10.

I think I might have f'd up with the blue cob because I though it was the 5500-6000k light but it appears to be a dark blue colour and after going back to the eBay listed they havnt specified a colour temp for this COB, I'm hoping it won't have any negative affect on the plants and won't be a total waste of $$$ and electricity but keen to know what you guys think, thanks.

420-magazine-mobile693192628.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1025802358.jpg

420-magazine-mobile667593075.jpg

420-magazine-mobile476464918.jpg

Pretty stoked my first little frankencob works, it's blindingly bright. My multimeter wasn't working so I'll have to head out and buy another one before I install the light into the grow room.

Both sound like positive effects? So good too go? :)

Just had my elf-150-c700 arrive woot!!
420-magazine-mobile960852317.jpg

Just made a call to a pc repair guy and asked if he had old CPU heatsinks laying around. Said he has box's of them and to come pick some out at $5 each ;)

It feels like Christmas this week with packages rolling in haha, just got home with the heatsinks from the pic repair man and had 5 x 100w cheapo Chinese cobs in the letter box

420-magazine-mobile1028680304.jpg

Dude those are sweet! Ive been imagining something like that 5 unit guy for a long skinny semi hidden closet. How many W does it pull?

It's pulling 145-149w but Kinda doubles as a heater.... I've strapped the 5 CPU fans to them aswell which draw 2.4w each - 12 w for all 5 so the whole unit pulls 155- 160w.
I feel the 100w cobs run at 50w put out less heat and a lot more light compared to these clu038 cobs running at 30w each.
For the next build im looking at an exact same size light unit fitted with vero28 chips to do a side by side comparison.
I'm going to have to invest in a light meter some time along the way as well.

Me too, I need to do something simple. Been researching for so long the amount of info is a little overwhelming.

There are a few videos on YouTube of people doing diy spot light torches using these cobs which can be useful. Research is definitely paramount, the key is to match the leds with a constant currant power supply that won't burn them out and most of the manufacturers are doing it for us, making unique power supply's for their cobs.

I'm starting to really like those Cobs. Got me thinking for sure!

Yeah I am really getting into this whole optoelectronics scene, it's looking like led's are moving in for a takeover of the $100billion dollar per year light bulb industry.
I'm actually enjoying the research and putting these little units together, so much so I am going to take a look at some optoelectronic uni courses and see if I can have a share of that 100billion dollar pie.
:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom