First time grower 250w HID light is this enough?

saulgoodman18

420 Member
Hi Guys,

I have a 600w HID light with a ballast that has controls with the ability to reduce down to 250w. The area I am growing in is around 1 meter by 1 meter.

The problem I am facing is maintaining desired temperatures (20c-25c). I can only achieve such temps once I Reduce the lights potency to 250w. The next setting up is 400w which takes the room temperature to around (30c-35c) 10c over desired. This is with intake and outtake fans on max, during these warmer months the fans just cannot achieve the temperatures while at 400w the heat output is just too high. I am desperately trying to figure out the best route to take while my seed's germinate. My question is 250w to low or is it fine or is it just not enough? Alternatively I have been looking into LED lights more specifically the Mars II which should produce much less heat.

Any advise is greatly appreciated!

The more lumens per square foot you have the more bud you will get. So you could grow with just 250w but it will not produce the buds you could get from the whole 600w. Figure out how to lower the temp with the 600w and then you will be much happier with your end result.

Thank you for the fast response! Yes I thought as much I mean I suspect the 250w mode will do well for the seedling stage, but after that I would imagine they will need more (like you confirmed). However the space is so small and the temps outside are much higher due to summer being so close. I can increase to 400w and maintain a steady 35c. Would you say the increase in temperature from 25-35c is not such a big deal and worth it for the increase in light? Or would a LED be much better for me due to much lower heat output.

Any input is appreciated.

Temps no higher that 85 and humidity 75% for veg. Flowing same temp but 51% humidity is optimal. A humidifier in your veg room will allow for more light with lower temp. Raising the humidity will lower the temp. Lights are way important. All about the lumens per square foot. Los of good info online for that.

Thank you for the fast response! Yes I thought as much I mean I suspect the 250w mode will do well for the seedling stage, but after that I would imagine they will need more (like you confirmed). However the space is so small and the temps outside are much higher due to summer being so close. I can increase to 400w and maintain a steady 35c. Would you say the increase in temperature from 25-35c is not such a big deal and worth it for the increase in light? Or would a LED be much better for me due to much lower heat output.

Any input is appreciated.

cooltube sounds like a good plan for you..

Back
Top Bottom