Heat from 1000W HPS?

onewarmguy

Hi All, I'm pretty new to all this and I recently scored a couple of 48" daisy style reflectors with mogul sockets, 2 mechanical MH/HPS ballasts and 4 1000 W HPS bulbs and I've got some questions that I'm hoping to get some answers to.
I only grow a plant or two (this year it's Auto Jack Herer) at a time in my garage, the grow enclosure is lined with heavy duty white plastic sheeting about 4 ft high X 4 ft dia. and it's open at the top. I'm thinking I only need to use one fixture suspended from the rafter keeping it about a foot above the enclosure.

How much heat am I looking at? The garage roof has a couple of convection style roof vents to the outside. Am I going to burn my garage down? Will the heat build up kill the plants? Anything I'm forgetting to consider?
Thanks folks.
Onewarmguy:thanks:

I take it your garage it high enough to put a tent in? If you can afford it I would put one in a 4x4 just spoke to a other member here he got a vovisun tent for a 110 bucks of Amazon, so far he has brought 3 and swears by them very good quality for the money, and you will need a air cooled reflector for any 1000watt light to cool it as they run super hot and I wouldn't leave it exposed to any wood work as it could be a fire hazard, your best bet is to check out eBay for a used setup grow 6 plants in it as it will pay for itself on the first crop if you are going to run a 1000w light you have to make the best of it cause of the energy bills and such, just my opinion plus I would use fem seeds as they can finish in similar time but with better yields don't get me wrong autos are ok but they can be hit and miss you can get a good one or a runt with fems they more predictable plus if you stick with one you like you'll get better every time you grow it cause you understand the strain, hope this helps cheers

Thanks Bud Basher FYI I have my 2 gals in a 4 ft diameter enclosure about 4 ft high made of an 80 mil thick white polyolefin sheet, the reflector is set at about 5 ft. Since my post they've been growing about 1" a day and other than a small problem with mites (resolved with insecticidal soap spray) seem to be thriving. The heat from the HPS bulbs seems to stabilize around 80 F which is perfect for the gals, and because the reflector is higher than the walls of the enclosure, temperature in the grow area isn't an issue.

The only problem, to paraphrase is "the room is so bright, I gotta wear shades"
:trance: :icon_cool

Back
Top Bottom