UVA/UVB Lighting

GodOfPot

I know there's another thread touching on this, but I wanted opinions specifically involving UV light and didn't want the other thread going off topic too much.

So UV lighting. I've read that UVB helps produce additional THC while not contributing to CBD production, and UVA help with the production of both THC/CBD, however too much UV can also be harmful to your plants(feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

What I can't really seem to find is "how much" or "what" is considered over exposure.

This is the light spectrum for a new lamp I've just purchased;
spec.png

As you can see it seems to be lacking UV, if it really has any at all tbh. UV isn't essential in the growth or production on cannabis, but let's not kid here, I grow for quality not quantity. Any day of the week I'll take a plant that gives me 1g of the best smoke ever over 100g's of your every day smoke. So if UV light helps and isn't "too expensive" then I'll look into ways to introduce it, which I've been doing.

In the other thread there was mentions of using reptile lights to introduce UV light. So after looking around a bit, it seems that they're basically UVB with no mention of UVA, so I dug around some more.

This is what I found;
51KMzMZ5xOL.jpg

It's a 2'(also comes in 4') T5 HO 24W fluorescent bulb which ranges 280-400NM. To me this looks optimal, though I am new to this so I could be wrong.

I was thinking of adding 2 of the 2' ones into my 4'x4' tent and what wondering peoples thoughts, would that be too much UV? Not enough? Should I go for 2 of the 4' ones instead or perhaps 3 of the 3' ones?

This is my first grow so I am new to all this, but I haven't really come across a whole lot of talk about UV and introducing it to grow tents. I've also seen UV led "cords" but I doubt the'd have enough penetration with their light.

All feedback is always appreciated!

Hey GodofPot you are definitely on the right path looking to bulbs for UVA/UVB -- LEDs have a hard time creating a full range of UV. Experiment with it in flower!

I would actually go with a full reptile light because you'll be adding primarily UVA/UVB with that. The powerveg you linked would have a significant amount of UV only if you were using that as your sole light source.

No no lol, that won't be my sole light source, I'll be using a lamp called the P6 from one of our sponsors(SunPlus), that's where the spectrum graph came from, the power veg is strictly for UVA/UVB since the P6 doesn't look like it's hitting those bands

Please protect your eyes!!!

YES!!!! Reposting this as its very important!!! EYE protection is a must, especially with the UV range (and blue LEDS)

Hello GodOfPot...

I was wondering if you can share any results. If you have applied the UVA/UVB source. I was looking into using them with my next Auto-flower grow. I was looking here for info and seen your post. I have a 600watt LED Full Spectrum and a 1000watt LED FS panel.

I have only my opinion to go on and feel it will complete or fill-in what the LED's lack. From the simple watt difference. HPS need to be ballasted to 400, 750 or what ever the rating is for the bulbs actual watts. The 600 watt LED panel on its spec sheet shows it is really pulling only 285watts.

If it makes for a high UV index, creating a source closer to real sunlight. It would be a simple way to help the plant do its thing. With out going nuts with nuit's and over the counter boosters. They promote for anything indoor grown especially Auto-flowers.

Just curios if you tried it Thanks and keeper green...Peace.....

:420:

Hey Goofyfoot, I have no problems sharing my opinion, but you should know none of this is actual data, merely observation at this point
420-magazine-mobile849504276.jpg

I did indeed install the 2 fluorescent UV bulbs as you can see.... What I've observed is zero negative side effects as a result of it. I couldn't give you a definitive answer as to weather it's been helpful or not, I believe it is based on what I've read about UV effect of cannabis.
How much UV is it putting out right now? This I'm still unsure of, it requires a special meter to measure UV and I haven't invested in one yet, I do plan on investing in one, and once I do I will take measurements of what it's outputting.

Once I have those measurements I'll compare it to what the sun outputs around me, and I'll look into finding out how much UV is being output around some of the cannabis that grows in higher altitudes, then I'll try to create enough to be somewhere closer to the higher altitude measurements

Just remember, if you do decide to install something like this, always turn them off when you're working in the tent. I keep mine on the same light schedule as my LED is, so I don't hold back, but I turn it off anytime I'm working there .

Hey and thanks for the reply. I understand and agree on the info sharing. Most or my personal info is from trial and errors. So what not to do is what I have as info to share. Also, this is only my second grow with only LED'S as the light source.

I am new to LED'S so I have no trials to use for a guide. The first grow up until half way into flower was only the 600watt LED. I borrowed a friends old back HPS @ 300watt lamp for 20 days left till harvest. The heat factor removed any $$ savings the LED provided. Then adding extra fans to vent the grow area. The plant fattened up more, but the cost was sketchy.

By adding the 1000watt panel with the 600 watt I hope that alone increases the plants potential. Like this is just my opinion but. I notice that the LED's mature VERY healthy, excited looking foliage. There properties allow aggressive, maximum efficient growth. But the true wattage limits or slightly reduces the "quantity" the plant MAY produce. But it has the extra benefits to multiply the plant "QUALITY" instead. If that makes any sense??? They include 4 or 5 IR emitters in the panels as is. I don't know how much UVA/UVB plants react to, benefit from or EVEN REQUIRE??

Adding the bulbs are the equivalent of a 11 UV beach day or it being over cast. Making it only a 8 index. Reducing the suns effect or chance of sun-burn.

I am looking to do what I can because Auto are on a different grow rate. So even though you harvest sooner. Any simple addition ( plugging in one extra bulb in the timer loop ) that will help it during the shorter veg time. To me is worth it.... again I myself enjoy growing. I use it to replace an aspirin, or if my back is stiff after a 12 hour day. One hit and I can get out of the chair after sitting a half hour. Not being bent over!!

My location allows me to grow two auto between Thanksgiving till Feb's end. Then two more between March and mid-May. I am looking for 4 oz. dry per plant. Netting 1 lbs. for the year that brakes down to one 1/4 oz. per week. More then what I need to manage my non-prescription aches and old age pains.

I will be running the same two strains of Auto's the first grow so I will be able to compare what happens with the extra 1000 watts for 18 hours instead of just 600. Big help.

Happy growing and will keep an eye out. For any useful stuff...Peace.....

:420:

With LEDs it's better to plan based on the "actual" watt draw, not what these companies list as "600", you should be going by the 285 you listed, that's the important number.

I do like LED, I love my panel big ups to SunPlus for that .

I don't have experience with HPS though, this is still my first grow so couldn't really give you a comparison

Back
Top Bottom