Help choice of HPS or LED

Hey Question. Trying to decide between 600watts hps Phatnam 2 by Hydro Farm or Spectrum king led 400+ and Gorilla grow tents?
From my limited knowledge I would say how grows better but puts put alot more heat.

I guess it would depend on how well your fresh air and exhaust are set up. If you're like me and slow going setting up the LED is nice.

It depends on what you want really. Both HPS and LED are growing great plants. LED run cooler - that's an advantage for some people.

I have tried many top end LED's in side by side grows; with other led's and sodium lights. I am dumping my expensive LED's and setting up a new grow room using old school Metal halide/sodium 1000 watt lights. Room is producing incredible results first 3 weeks. I do believe I am done with LED's. Save your money and get real lights. Manic Mike

Seen some pretty good reviews about cmh(ceramic metal halide) too if that's an option for you
I'm more than happy with my COB/LED I picked up from one of our sponsors(SunPlus), draws 620w(true power) and comes in cheaper then the spectrum King .

Ceramic lights are next on our list. But regular metal halide and sodium can be obtained for about $125.00 including:
both bulbs
small wing
dimmable 1000 watt ballast
light hangers

Ceramics are a bit pricy and my partner and I are producing our ' Best Ever' and we have been at this for a while. Seriously, I purchased everything listed above at the price listed and it works. I paid about twice that amount for my first digital ballast. A whole system for the cost of 1 brand name Sodium bulb!!! The Human element (love) plays a bigger part than all the hardware. I do the hardware and my partner loves the plants... Incredible results. We are documenting the construction and grow and will post a journal time permitting.

logo12.png

Grow with the Sun!

Looking for a quality supplier for LED grow lights?

We Provide Professional, High Quality LED Grow Lamps specifically designed for horticultural applications.

Let me know if you have any questions

Happy Growing

T.

LEDs for sure! I'm on board with GROWant! I am growing a Pineapple kush under their 240w light and it's amazing!

HID lights (MH/HPS) without doubt provide better light penetration than LED. Have used both HPS and LED and in terms of yield, a 400W HPS beats a 400 W LED hand down. I live in a hot country and use HPS only in winter as any other time of year I cannot control the heat. I also use a true spectrum LED when the weather gets hot. In terms of bud quality, LED produce much denser buds - HPS tends to produce airier, fluffier buds. The ideal is to use both - that way you get excellent light penetration plus full spectrum light. Each technology has its pros and cons but after 5 years of doing side by side LED and HPS grows, I have found that (despite manufacturers claims), an HID light will always yield more than its LED equivalent. The above is based on panel LEDs - I hear that ppl here have had great success using COB LEDs with a dimmer (that way you can get LEDs closer to the canopy without harming the buds).

Here's the only way. You go to Spectrum King and get there 4' by 4' tent for a reasonable price with a free extension. You then buy the 120 degree reflector SK 400 with a dimmer. That will get you through the hot weather.

Then go to ebay and get a SunSystem 315 LEC for the Colder months of the year. The LEC's beat everything out there.

This plant in coco/perlite was in a 27"x 42" closet, and was started with a 360 watt cmh philips bulb... That bulb isn't sold any more, and it was driven by a 400 watt hps ballast..
I switched to a 430 watt hps to finish it off.. 8 oz yield.. it's in my Mixed Hydro thread... you don't need to get a 600 watt hps to get an excellent yield..

IMG_303612.JPG

I am running a led/hps hybrid light and will harvest in 1-2 weeks; will update. Switched all other rooms back to HPS; they simply work better. Tried nice American made led's for 2 years; then side by side with hps. HPS wins hands down- if you have a huge a/c unit.

So much false information being spread here. My Cree CXB3590s shit on any HPS. All the money you're gonna spend on bulbs, electricity, and a ac unit you can build a cob that'll blow a HPS away.

420-magazine-mobile456892564.jpg

Curious LB07, how much did you COB unit cost to build shipping and everything included?(not sarcasm)

I'm using a COB/LED unit right now from one of our sponsors, it uses 6 CREE CXA2430's, but what I love about it is the addition of the Blue/Red LED's. COBs provide great spectrum, but that additional red/blue is powerful, the use of both of them together has been giving me GREAT results.

I ordered stuff through rapid, and I spent $340ish all said and done. That includes their rail as well. I don't have lenses on my setup, and shipping was free.

If you order through china, it's $230 before shipping without the rail. It comes with lenses though which is a nice touch. Shipping to me was $67 so total would've been around $300. I would've still had to order the rail from rapid for $60, and shipping cost would've been additional. So you spend about $20 more, and get lenses through alibaba.

I'll likely add lenses in the future once I have a couple more rails built.

If you pm me I can send you info/parts lists.

Right now I'm super happy with my light...... If I ever get the chance to expand I may consider DIY COBs, the biggest thing I like about them is that you can space them out accordingly to your space, which is a HUGE plus..... I love my lamp to pieces, the only "down side" I guess you could say is that it's so compact, I often think about trying to "re-design" the housing so I can spread the COBs out more

I purposely built my cobs to be modular. At any given point this set of 4 can pop out a half pound out of any tent with ease.
420-magazine-mobile508479248.jpg

On the flip side, they are really hard to get into if you don't grasp the concept easily. I'm an electrician so picking up on building them was fairly easy.

To a beginner grower, or someone afraid of wiring/building something, a HPS would probably be their most cost effective route. Buying any decent cob fixture premade gets extremely spendy.

Back
Top Bottom