Quantum boards - Tips and advice

Rathunter83

420 Member
So I've decided I want to try a quantum board LED for my next grow light. In particular the HLG 135 or 185 watt kit.

Does anyone run a quantum board and what advice can you give to someone who is new to them?

Yeah you can build a QB120 for around 60$ total... id recommend running at max 60W.. Im using a LPV-24-60 mean well driver for one of my lights and it does well... the second one im using an ELN-60-24 mean well driver. But heres a picture of one of my lights in a small garbage can grow... I just put the Quantum board in a few days ago.
420-magazine-mobile1091908589.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1242719874.jpg
its a good light and two would fit your 2x2 well its worth the dollar a watt to assemble it yourself it costs a good bit more to buy the preassembled lights. The qb120 is the only one that doesnt require a heatsink.. and it is recommended to be ran in the ranges of 10W-60W even at 60W it stays cool... the driver is a bit warm but I keep it suspended above the board not on it so its no problem.. I know the OP above me ran at 70W but I wouldnt recommend it... the lower you run it the more efficient the. light is per watt... say you ran them at 50W each that 100W of light would be more efficient than the 120W of light if you would of bought 60W drivers... im not sure at what point its worth it or not im not experienced in that but growmau5 is good at breaking it all down if you search him on youtube.. great diy'er.

Price breakdown
QB120 29.99$ +shipping

24v 60W driver 15-20$ shipped

Power cord Free just cut a two prong cord off an old appliance.

Hangers you can make due with 2-5$ at walmart or some junk in the garage lol.

Yeah you can build a QB120 for around 60$ total... id recommend running at max 60W.. Im using a LPV-24-60 mean well driver for one of my lights and it does well... the second one im using an ELN-60-24 mean well driver. But heres a picture of one of my lights in a small garbage can grow... I just put the Quantum board in a few days ago.
420-magazine-mobile1091908589.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1242719874.jpg
its a good light and two would fit your 2x2 well its worth the dollar a watt to assemble it yourself it costs a good bit more to buy the preassembled lights. The qb120 is the only one that doesnt require a heatsink.. and it is recommended to be ran in the ranges of 10W-60W even at 60W it stays cool... the driver is a bit warm but I keep it suspended above the board not on it so its no problem.. I know the OP above me ran at 70W but I wouldnt recommend it... the lower you run it the more efficient the. light is per watt... say you ran them at 50W each that 100W of light would be more efficient than the 120W of light if you would of bought 60W drivers... im not sure at what point its worth it or not im not experienced in that but growmau5 is good at breaking it all down if you search him on youtube.. great diy'er.

Price breakdown
QB120 29.99$ +shipping

24v 60W driver 15-20$ shipped

Power cord Free just cut a two prong cord off an old appliance.

Hangers you can make due with 2-5$ at walmart or some junk in the garage lol.

I'm using two of the LPV-60-24 on the boards and that's what it's registering on my killawatt out of the wall

I'm using two of the LPV-60-24 on the boards and that's what it's registering on my killawatt out of the wall

Ahh okay my bad . just making sure the OP didnt go and try to buy a 70 or 80W driver is all lol. Ive yet to test my lights yet its been on my mind to buy a meter I just been lazy. Now I definitely want to check now though lol im curious to see how my different drivers preform.

I couldn't decide if i wanted to run two 60 boards or just go up to thier 240 or 304 boards and run a higher wattage from one board. But 2 60 watt would be damn cheap to build.

I originally stumbled on QB by watching growmaus videos on youtube. He seems very knowledgeable with these. Growmaus is actually working for Chilled LED now helping them develope new lights.

Thanks for all the info guys. Big help

I couldn't decide if i wanted to run two 60 boards or just go up to thier 240 or 304 boards and run a higher wattage from one board. But 2 60 watt would be damn cheap to build.

I originally stumbled on QB by watching growmaus videos on youtube. He seems very knowledgeable with these. Growmaus is actually working for Chilled LED now helping them develope new lights.

Thanks for all the info guys. Big help..

Definitely much cheaper to build the 120's lol hell you could buy their 260 boards and do a diy but it would require a heatsink as well so it wouldnt be as cheap. Any of them will work well but if you are wanting to stay at around a dollar a watt then definitely qb120 lol.

I watched a video by LED grower last night and he reviewed the 90, 135, and 260 diy kit HLG has. I was very impressed by the output at 18" from the 135 kit. I can definitely get a full footprint with 2 120 boards in my tent. Just gotta wait until they're back in stock!

I watched a video by LED grower last night and he reviewed the 90, 135, and 260 diy kit HLG has. I was very impressed by the output at 18" from the 135 kit. I can definitely get a full footprint with 2 120 boards in my tent. Just gotta wait until they're back in stock!

Yep will definitely give you quality lighting thats for sure id go with two 3k soectrum models though... worst comes to worse you add a 6500k CFL in during veg but youll want that 3k for flower where it really counts... youd be best off buying two drivers like these Outdoor Waterproof Mean Well 60W AC / DC ELN-60-24 LED Driver Power Supply 2.5A | eBay or Mean Well LPV-60-24 AC DC Power Supply LED Single Output 60 Watt US Distributor | eBay both of which will work fine for single lights... Id also recommend buying a couple sets of ratchet hangers as they are very very convenient for the price... 2PC GROW LIGHT ROPE HANGER RATCHET REFLECTOR HANGERS 150lb 1/8" | eBay also youll want need stuff to hang it but you can find everything at walmart for dollars...
420-magazine-mobile1040290366.jpg
those clips can be had in the walmart fishing section for a dollar and some change my wires are all attached to a keychain that I also suspend my driver from and the keychain gets attached to the ratchet hanger so you can adjust the height... if that makes any sense lol.

Just got 4 of the 135w kits from HLG a couple of days ago, which are now in my 120cm x 120cm tent ;)

They're super easy to assmble and very bright, they can be dimmed to 30w and max out at 170w (@230v)
The driver will stay above 90% efficiency down to around 60% of maximum output.

I have seeds germinating and hope to see these boards kick some ass soon :)

In your grow space a single 135w kit would be very good and 2 would be overkill unless you dim them.
Get the 3000k one for flowering/full cycle.
The biggest issue with QB's is that they almost always out of stock and sold out in a few days.
You can get the kits from growerslights.com aswell, but my experience with HLG was very pleasant and I totally recommend ordering from them.

I got two QB120 boards last week. I'm gonna run them in series with the HLG-120-48a. Getting really excited to build the frame and get something in my tent.

Back
Top Bottom