Are all LED grow lights the same? $100 vs $500 lights?

Great question. I just went with cheap ones from china to start with, i opened it up to clean inside and although they are 300w and operating with 250v supply this is reduced to 12v to operate cooling fans and the l.e.d.s. I know that dosn`t answer the ?. i expect they are all similar inside components wise.
SAM_6054.JPG
SAM_6056.JPG
SAM_6061.JPG
SAM_6063.JPG
regards

Welcome to irresponsible marketing...

The cheap led units base their 'power' rating on the theoretical maximum the diodes can be driven-for about 10 minutes before they burn up. I bet the actual power consumption is probably less than 200W. The better units give you real world specs rather than theoretical max so power rating is more in line to what the lamp consumes. When it comes to trying to figure out if a blurple light has enough umph-I would shoot for at least 30W/sq ft of ACTUAL power consumption.

Found some 1000 watt Led grow lights with good reviews for $149 on amazon. Wondering how they compare to the more expensive ones?
Thanks

There are 5w and 3w chips in the market, if Amazon shows it is 1000w, then it must have at least 200pcs of leds, USD149 even could not cover the cost of chips with a good quality, so you check the chips brand firstly, then ask the draw power of led. 1000W is not the draw power. Also ask the warranty and certification and grow pictures from other customers, then you can judge if you should buy this light.
Hope it is useful for you.

A more expensive light inside. A very high quality lamp that gives you 800 real watts with 320 led diodes × 5 watt

That cheap shit from Amazon ain't gonna give you 1000 watt. Perhaps a couple of hundred?

420-magazine-mobile1655302880.jpg

420-magazine-mobile146477269.jpg

Cheap and expensive LED grow lights are not the same... Most of the cheaper units found on amazon have less efficiency than high pressure sodium bulbs watt per watt so you should save your money and stick with HPS until you can purchase a higher end LED unit.

Always find the "true wattage" or power draw from the wall. The advertised wattage means nothing.

Right now the best LEDs out there are "midpower" found in brands like fluence, nextlight, smargrow, quantum boards, and others. The old 3W and 5W diodes are the least efficient and oldest technology. Some COB LEDs are very good as well.

LEDs are crazy, man! We haven't even gotten into the spectrum. Because LEDs are like colors on a paintbrush almost any spectrum is possible. The current problem is most LED manufactures just use red/blue/white colors because those are easily found in the marketplace.

The 3 and 5 watters are not the most efficient when it comes to draw from the wall. I agree. I do love my 320's with 5 watt epistar though.

Think cob is the next mainstream thing after blurple. Seem to take over more and more. Am testing a cob right now and so far I am loving it.

Also seems cree and osram chips are more efficient than epistar

420-magazine-mobile797577242.jpg

The plants do love a good quality LED or 4. They sure do.

I tend to agree with the comment above. If you can't afford a high quality LED, you're better off with HPS

420-magazine-mobile2001312061.jpg

For real depending on the brand I guess you get what you pay for. But I've had a few of the cons that said they were 1,000watts each and I paid a buck50 for them and they lasted about a year and the chips died. Then I thought I'd go double the price and I got a 1,800watt cob panel. It was ok but the ones that said they were 1000 turned out to only be 250 watts and they came from China. I ended up doing away with all the overseas stuff and I settled on a black diamond perfect sun mini and it was $180 free shipping. So far I'm happy with it and the spectrum is pretty awesome and the light it's self is pretty awesome looking I plan on getting another one here soon. I forget the specs on it but it's a 125 Watts. But for the most part if you want a real good quality light it may cost a bit up front but it'll pay for its self eventually cause you'll have it years to come and the expensive ones well I guess it depends on what you consider expensive but amongst other things your getting quality and not something that's just put together and it lights up

A more expensive light inside. A very high quality lamp that gives you 800 real watts with 320 led diodes × 5 watt

That cheap shit from Amazon ain't gonna give you 1000 watt. Perhaps a couple of hundred?

420-magazine-mobile1655302880.jpg

420-magazine-mobile146477269.jpg
Nice that's more like it cheers for pics every one can see the difference in build quality( stay away from the far east lol ) and bring back the British kyte mark instead of e.u. no offrnce to any members, the label on boxes from CH said they were 600w when in fact i ordered 300w ones and i thought you dancer but after a while it niggled me so i contacted them and got a silly answer that i cant remember thought the whole affair was proper dodgy. Unlike Arnie i wont be back after these cheep ones fail,next time i`ll research more before buying. regards

For real depending on the brand I guess you get what you pay for. But I've had a few of the cons that said they were 1,000watts each and I paid a buck50 for them and they lasted about a year and the chips died. Then I thought I'd go double the price and I got a 1,800watt cob panel. It was ok but the ones that said they were 1000 turned out to only be 250 watts and they came from China. I ended up doing away with all the overseas stuff and I settled on a black diamond perfect sun mini and it was $180 free shipping. So far I'm happy with it and the spectrum is pretty awesome and the light it's self is pretty awesome looking I plan on getting another one here soon. I forget the specs on it but it's a 125 Watts. But for the most part if you want a real good quality light it may cost a bit up front but it'll pay for its self eventually cause you'll have it years to come and the expensive ones well I guess it depends on what you consider expensive but amongst other things your getting quality and not something that's just put together and it lights up

420-magazine-mobile1659675641.jpg
420-magazine-mobile499933501.jpg

In many cases you can use the power supplies and the chassis of the cheap led to power higher quality chips. That's interesting

Great question. I just went with cheap ones from china to start with, i opened it up to clean inside and although they are 300w and operating with 250v supply this is reduced to 12v to operate cooling fans and the l.e.d.s. I know that dosn`t answer the ?. i expect they are all similar inside components wise.
SAM_6054.JPG
SAM_6056.JPG
SAM_6061.JPG
SAM_6063.JPG
regards
That's will.just be for the fans not the leds that's not a bad thing little fans don't need loads.of volts its the wats that matters for the led

There's a huge difference.There are many factors when you are buying led grow lights.I would recommend you to visit this site to find difference between them

What are you growing in ?What size is your LED? I personally tested some the led grow lights and I can tell that there's a big difference between a $100 grow light and a $500 grow light. And more importantly, the effectiveness used for development depends on understanding the stages of the crop

Unless you're buying name brand from a reputable seller like Budget LED for a QB or Timber for a COB, I wouldn't waste my money on other LEDs. I have tried growing with blurple and you can but it won't be horribly impressive of a harvest. A lot of other factors contribute to what light is right for each grow though so without knowing more about your grow it's hard to recommend a proper light for it.

Back
Top Bottom