Ceramic Metal Halide Lighting Questions

growvt420

HI all I'm new to 420mag, but not a new grower. i have been reading the 420 forums for the last year also doing 2 indoor grows and also a successful outdoor harvest. I feel that I'm ready to step up my growing standards and dive into CMH! IN the past i grew with my 600 watt hps while using an led bulb light panel for vegetation. I built using 5000k led bulbs that i purchased from the home depot. the led panel made of wood with 9 led bulbs for a total of 126 led watts. not bad for a 2x2 grow space.... my first indoor grow, a bag seed hermied and did not turn out well lol. my second indoor grow consisted of 4 auto northern lights by 00seed bank. using the 600 watt hps yielding 10 oz. i then had an outdoor grow that i babied like my first born child that yielded me enough to upgrade my indoor grow!!!! i am now in the midst of building a 4x8 wood frame grow room. the actual dimensions are 54x110x90 inches giving me enough space to build a diy flood tray. my plans are to fuse 10 7 gallon fabric pots ( 5 pots per 4x4ft scrog ) then for now use my 600 watt hps on half of the 4x8 grow room then on the other half i was planning on purchasing 2 315 watt cmh lights so that brings me to my first question

question 1. would 630 watt of cmh be too much for a 4x4 ?

also my plan is to use the 600 watt hps for one harvest then upgrade with two more cmh lights totaling 1260 watts for a 4x8 space.

I can get a 315 watt cmh for 220 dollars off of growershouse.com and when they offer there 15% OFF LIGHTING deals i can get it much cheaper ! so my 2nd question !

question 2. is there a lighting difference between a wing reflector and a reflector made for cmh like the sun system cmh vertical reflectors ? so i guess what is the difference between vertical and horizontal hung cmh bulbs.

thank you for all the help in advance. i plan on making my purchase within the next week so if anyone can give me some advice that would be awesome !

thanks.

so i will be ordering the 2- 315 watt cmh wing reflector grow lights 3100k tomorrow!

i hope i'm making the right decision on purchasing the wing reflector vs the sun system lec remote ballast type to save money....
i read somewhere that cmh bulbs have a small dot of high heat ceramic paint on the bottom of the bulb to prevent hot spots when grown vertically hopefully this doesn't effect the performance when grown horizontal.

also i'm trying to figure out how i want to position my lights. i was thinking that i could have the 600 watt hps on one side of the 4x8 with the reflector pulling air from the cmh grow side using my hurricane 6 inch inline fan. i will be running 3 barneys farm critical kush and 3 humboldt blue dream. the seeds should be arriving soon and then ill start my journal !

Hey friend, I'm running the SunSystems 315 right now for the first time. I'm on week 5 of flower and haven't seen a problem with the light yet. The Sun System LEC bulb does Double Glass jacketed I pop the outside glass cover off to increase my UV
420-magazine-mobile1668131421.jpg
420-magazine-mobile521620066.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1571246796.jpg
420-magazine-mobile2003882463.jpg

2 of those 315's in a 4' by 8' would be great. Especially if you have enough height. I hang my 315 Sun System vertical fixture in a 5' 11" tall 3' by 3' tent. I can't grow tall plants like I would like due to the height.

question 2. is there a lighting difference between a wing reflector and a reflector made for cmh like the sun system cmh vertical reflectors ? so i guess what is the difference between vertical and horizontal hung cmh bulbs.

I think the vertical bulb mounting decreases the hot spot in the middle giving more even lighting.

Here's a photo of my white widow grow from yesterday with the 315 SunSystem taken at 38 days from seed.

IMG_039654.JPG

Today the heat reached 106 degrees so I have decided to switch to my 140 watt Spectrum King closet case. Until the heat wave is over.

IMG_039850.JPG

Hey friend, I'm running the SunSystems 315 right now for the first time. I'm on week 5 of flower and haven't seen a problem with the light yet. The Sun System LEC bulb does Double Glass jacketed I pop the outside glass cover off to increase my UV

Looks like your getting great results. I would leave the safety glass on as the B UV is blocked by our atmosphere and is reported to be dangerous.

Hey thanks everyone for all the responses ! I just put my order into growers house for the 2 315 cmh wing reflectors should be here in a week !

The Phillips 315 bulb has a slight color shift when used horizontally..... I bought 2 ss315s 2 years ago... They replaced my 600 watt hps lights.... I ran them in my last rdwc grow... I'll never go back to my hps lights.. I consider the 315s to be my goldilocks lights.. Not to big not to small, just right... You can see them in my mixed hydro thread...

I'm sure you won't be disapointed with LEC 315's. Their just as efficient as LED's. This video helped inspire me to buy my LEC. I'm getting even, intense lighting that grows strong plants. All my friends want my weed. They can't find anything better. :circle-of-love:

[video=youtube;u9ltLEWHd4w]
[/video]

Ceramic MH 315w Wing Reflector Package

This is the light I just bought. Got 2 of them. An lb a piece would sure be nice ��

Dr fish I do plan on reading your journal haha that's on the list for tomorrow.
I would put that 600w hps in the middle, with one 315 lec cmh on each side. i run one 630w lec cmh in a 4x4 and I got a 315 sun system that I got at the same place you're buying yours. I paid 250 for sun system. Those folks at the growers house are fantastic people. I had a bad ballast, new out of the box, and they bent over backward to help me in any way they could. Not their fault, that Fedex ground moves freight moves like snails. The sun system is next to a 430w eye Hortilux, but by the time i got it back, it was week 3 end of stretch. The strains I got under it now, are not big yielders. Two Bubba's gift, 1 og kush, and the blue dream, which is a good yielder. I've been using the 630w for over a yr. now, and if you can control the heat, it's a great light. I'm finishing a grow under it now, if you want to check out what it will do. Last grow I got 22 ozs., and I'm hoping to improve on that . Another member grew 3 lb. with two 315w lec cmh, think he calls himself dogwash. but they are the future in hid. LEDS are looking very good lately, if they can compete ? Where i live, I'd have to use a space heater if i used leds only.
If you don't mind , I'll hang around to see how the 315s perform, and good luck !!

Back
Top Bottom