It's That Time Of Year

HaroldTheTuch

I have worked in the outdoor lighting industry for over 20 years and it's the slow time of the year for lighting suppliers / distributors. Add in the fact that most of the manufacturers are phasing out 'last years' lights for new and improved ones.

I'm not saying this is a certainty but I think it is possible that, if you call your local electrical distributor, you might be able to pick up some lighting on the cheap. Personally I can get all I want 'sampled' to me but to provide it to anyone it would be prohibitive once the shipping costs were added in.

I'm not trying to make a profit here gang. And, as I said, I might be wrong in your area. But it might be worth it to make a phone call or two between now and December to see if you can pick up some lighting on the cheap.

What do you suggest? Like commercial lighting? Building your own lights? Or just like led manufactures in general?

Go with local electrical distributors. In general it's going to be commercial lighting. Think the kind of lights you see on top of poles at Wal Mart etc or fluorescents that are designed to work with standard office fixtures. As advances are made in the LED industry there is possibly some inventory out there that they want to dump while they get prepared for 2018. Nobody wants to carry too much inventory into the next tax season.

My cost on a universal 3' fluorescent light is around $12 to $13 right now. Which is pretty nice but my shipping costs pretty much anywhere around the country is $40 so, in order to make it remotely profitable for me, I'd have to sell at least 10 of them to make it worth my time. A 'shoebox' (the square things you see on poles at Wal Mart) runs me around $170 but, again, shipping costs are prohibitive for this particular market.

I'm just hoping a fellow enthusiast or two might be able to find a steal to help them with their grows because you guys and gals have been an absolute WEALTH of information, support, and kindness, to me from my first grow to my next one.

That said I'm considering having discussions with manufacturers I work with in the next coming weeks to see if there's a way to provide quality, affordable, and easily obtained, lighting for growers in the future that I can provide at a reasonable cost. Even if I can get there I'm not going to advertise here or on any other 420 site. Personally I think that's unseemly. I might put a link in my signature but that's about all I'd do.

Back
Top Bottom