Help me please! Pretty please!

yayasue

420 Member
Hi everyone.
I've only been growing indoors since last year (when my outdoor garden was attracting too much attention).
We've built a 1.2mx1.2mx2m grow box and started off with a 600w HPS light. It was fine last year because we didn't grow in summertime when the heat is a problem (in Mallorca).
This year we did 2 grows January thru May, then started again 6 weeks ago. This time the heat is doing my brains in!
We've had to leave a door of the box open and direct an extra fan in to try and reduce the heat (plus humidifier/iced water/etc.)
So I'm seriously considering going down the LED route, but I'm a techically dumb OAP, so advice is desperately needed.
From reading various sites this morning, the VipaSpectra seemed good - but what does anybody out there who really knows think?
:Namaste:

whats your budget?

Going to be hard to beat a 600hps with some cheap led light, so just know that,lol..

There are cheap ROUTES you can take, but you must use the brain. If your DIY, there are a few options. If your looking for straight out the box, hang, plug in and go, there are many other options. If your looking for HPS type rewards, then it kinda dwindles down as per your money you want to spend.

There are really 3 good ways, just like i said in the other thread asking basicly the same thing.

1- Perfect Sun LED
2- Samsung Diode boards
3- COBs

So, depending on your wallet size, your ability to build things, or right outta the box, you have options.

I know that I'm going to have stump up a reasonable amount upfront - I'm ancient and technically stoopid, but I didn't fall off the christmas tree . My husband's equally ancient - but he did a pretty good job constructing the grow box, and he likes his blow, so he can probably manage.

Like I said, it's the heat (and the fuel bills) that are getting problematical.

So, I can go to about 250€ - and I need something for a 1.2mx1.2mx2m box, which houses 4 plants. (I'm growing Blue Dream for the first time - the last seeds were autoflowering, so they don't really count - and they are HUGE. I hope to hell that the weather gets a bit more seasonal before they start to smell and I have to shut the door on them!)

You can purchase a relatively inexpensive LED light online for about $150. As you get into the better names and higher wattage, you may find that you are going to run into the same kind of issue again. LED lights do cause heat. Some choose to run A.C. in their space to combat the same issues. If I were you, I would send a message to one of our site sponsors and ask them for their advice. Gee from Growant is very active in this forum and he would definitely have some great advice for you unbiased. The reason I say unbiased is because if he sells you a light that doesn't perform the way that you expected, you are going to come on here and say that. That being said, it's good business practice to be as honest with your fellow Growers as possible. I have read and seen him give excellent advice in so many aspects of growing so far since they joined.

I see that you only have a couple of posts so I will direct him over here to your grow.

You can purchase a relatively inexpensive LED light online for about $150. As you get into the better names and higher wattage, you may find that you are going to run into the same kind of issue again. LED lights do cause heat. Some choose to run A.C. in their space to combat the same issues. If I were you, I would send a message to one of our site sponsors and ask them for their advice. Gee from Growant is very active in this forum and he would definitely have some great advice for you unbiased. The reason I say unbiased is because if he sells you a light that doesn't perform the way that you expected, you are going to come on here and say that. That being said, it's good business practice to be as honest with your fellow Growers as possible. I have read and seen him give excellent advice in so many aspects of growing so far since they joined.

I see that you only have a couple of posts so I will direct him over here to your grow.

Cheers, Guy. :thumb:

I think a good option would be a Spectrum King 120 degree reflector SK 400. It will supposedly cover a 4' by 4' area in flower, which is a little bigger than 1.2 square meters. You could veg with it year round and then in the summer use it for both veg and flower. Heat wouldn't be a problem.

To cover your area with a VipaSpectra you would probably have to get the largest (1200 watt) which is actually 549 watts.

In your grow area. With Perfect Sun you would have to go with a Perfect Sun Goliath or Perfect Sun COB unless you use a light mover. That would be for a super aggressive grower. Black Diamond LED grow lights Perfect Sun.

You could also get 4 small lights and spread them out (put them in the corners). Like this Mars light.
s-l160024.jpg

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

I thought I should just mention that I use a separate veg box, and only use the 1.2mx1.2mx2m grow box for flowering - I don't know if that makes a difference to the suggestions.

Like i said, I'm technically dim - my husband's spent 45 years trying to explain the internal combustion engine to me, and my brain just switches off when he starts. Life was SO easy (and cheap) when I could grown in the garden, I just planted, fertilized and harvested, but thieves have hit nearly all the gardens in our village, so I had to move indoors. It sucks!

So, any more suggestion are gratefully accepted, bearing in mind that it's only the flowering stage an LED set up has to cope with. :thanks:

I know that I'm going to have stump up a reasonable amount upfront - I'm ancient and technically stoopid, but I didn't fall off the christmas tree . My husband's equally ancient - but he did a pretty good job constructing the grow box, and he likes his blow, so he can probably manage.

Like I said, it's the heat (and the fuel bills) that are getting problematical.

So, I can go to about 250€ - and I need something for a 1.2mx1.2mx2m box, which houses 4 plants. (I'm growing Blue Dream for the first time - the last seeds were autoflowering, so they don't really count - and they are HUGE. I hope to hell that the weather gets a bit more seasonal before they start to smell and I have to shut the door on them!)
Blue dream are one of my best strains check these out 25oz from 3 plants and don't worry about smell they just smell of fruity blueberrys no weed smell at all
be7b7196aeef93e39c44f0da12c28bde.jpg
d5dc30997ef749b5ec67f66aa6e7eab1.jpg

Hello my name is Gee I am a fellow grower and sponsor for GROWant Grow lights.
Please check us out. We have a few different models that would be perfect for your tent. We also have discounts for 420 members. Feel free to hit me if you have any questions or concerns.
We also have members here on 420 mag that are doing grow journals with our lights. So you can see them in action. Like I said please feel free to ask anything.

Hi yayasue. If I understand your post the problem you're experiencing is too much heat. The lights are sufficient for your grow but the temp is too high. If this is the case then I would deal with the heat problem and not change the lights.

Is it possible to ventilate the box? Heat rises so a hole in the roof would allow hot air to escape. Another hole at the bottom would allow cooler air to be drawn into the box. This would allow air to flow and that should reduce the temp in the box. I've used 2" pcv plastic pipe to ventilate a grow space and direct it to a garage. One thing to keep in mind for a flowering space is to block light from entering the box through any ventilation holes if that seems like a solution.

Back
Top Bottom