1000W HPS vs COB LED

Guy Cavallero

I know that there are going to be varied opinions on which of these lights is better. I may very well be opening up a can of worms here again but I'd like to open up to this discussion to those of you who have a significant amount of grow experience.

I'm tossing the idea around about buying and or building a light specific to my room, that is why I need an unbiased factual answer. I know I have my ideas, hell I have a room full of LEDs but situation has changed. I also know that LEDs have come down significantly in the past year as far as cost is concerned and efficiency.

I have done a lot of research, and although I am not in electronics guy I am quite interested in building my own cob style LED. That being said, my good friend who has been growing for many years says that I cannot come close to his HPS 1000 w as far as the efficiency is concerned. This is where his line of reasoning comes from;, if we plug in LED in and it produces 1 gram per watt and then on the other hand you plug and HPS in and it produces 1 gram per watt then you would think that the LED would be the most obvious choice. In my situation not true because I may end up having to plug in heaters in both spaces in order to keep my temperatures correct. So, over the course of a month at the extra $20- $30 that an HPS bulb would cost to run, will potentially far outweigh the cost of running a cob style LED with similar lighting attributes and a heater in order to keep my space warm enough because of the outside climate here in winter time.

I know there are lots of lights out there like the Goliath and the Spectrum King Etc that are insanely bright and have all of the correct lighting wavelengths to sufficiently supply my plant with what they need, and of course the HPS as always had those attributes as well as other wavelengths that are not desirable to growing marijuana. The age-old question....... Which would be better for my situation?

Re: 1000 W HPS vs. COB LED.

I'm in a similar situation. I only run my tent in the winter for the passive heat benefits of my 1000w hps. I adjust the dimmable ballast up as it gets colder. On the other hand I'm really wanting to broaden the light spectrum in there. Myself, I'm thinking of adding a cmh to counter balance the hps and complete the coverage in my tent.

1000 W HPS vs. COB LED.

Hey Guy, here is my 2 cents.

I live in Washington state, and grow in a garage that is not insulated. In the winter it stays 6 degrees warmer than outside, in the summer it's way more than that, making it too hot for good production-I found that out this summer...AC would help, but I'm limited to two 15A circuits, so I can't do it and run the room the way I want.

I have a 8x5 room, and I'm running a combo of lights. I have 600 actual LED watts, and 600 HPS. The HPS fully heats the space in the winter while lights are on, and at night, I have a little oil heater that keeps it at 65. I use a thermostatic controller that turns on the heat when it gets too cold after lights off, and one that turns on the light hood extraction fan when too warm. The probe for temps is laid on top of my tallest cola, and heat is controlled.

The things I have noticed about LED vs HID are notable, but I️ really like the combo of both. Tight Nodes and fat buds.

My vote is both:)

I'm in a similar situation. I only run my tent in the winter for the passive heat benefits of my 1000w hps. I adjust the dimmable ballast up as it gets colder. On the other hand I'm really wanting to broaden the light spectrum in there. Myself, I'm thinking of adding a cmh to counter balance the hps and complete the coverage in my tent.
I see, thanks for chiming in. I'm eager to see the difference in opinions, or maybe not, LOL!

In a situation like that would it not be more beneficial to run a led which is more energy efficient and has a broader overall spectrum? No added heat though, but Les on the energy bill...... No?

Hey Guy, here is my 2 cents.

I live in Washington state, and grow in a garage that is not insulated. In the winter it stays 6 degrees warmer than outside, in the summer it's way more than that, making it too hot for good production-I found that out this summer...AC would help, but I'm limited to two 15A circuits, so I can't do it and run the room the way I want.

I have a 8x5 room, and I'm running a combo of lights. I have 600 actual LED watts, and 600 HPS. The HPS fully heats the space in the winter while lights are on, and at night, I have a little oil heater that keeps it at 65. I use a thermostatic controller that turns on the heat when it gets too cold after lights off, and one that turns on the light hood extraction fan when too warm. The probe for temps is laid on top of my tallest cola, and heat is controlled.

The things I have noticed about LED vs HID are notable, but I️ really like the combo of both. Tight Nodes and fat buds.

My vote is both:)
My goal is to try to be as energy efficient as possible, but still get good quality and production out of my lights. Presently I have to 800E LEDs that are full spectrum including UV and IR. Myspace is roughly the same as yours plus a separate veggie area and will be fully insulated R20 walls and R40 ceilings. I bought an ink bird thermostatic controller, and my plan is to using oil-filled heater for Myspace in the winter. I guess overall my concern was getting the same yield and quality from a 1000w HPS and not having to run a heater versus having to run a heater and getting energy efficient LEDs to do the job, that's my dilemma........ other than the insulation, you and I sound like we're in very similar situations.

I see, thanks for chiming in. I'm eager to see the difference in opinions, or maybe not, LOL!

In a situation like that would it not be more beneficial to run a led which is more energy efficient and has a broader overall spectrum? No added heat though, but Les on the energy bill...... No?

I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a growant 400. .

I'm actually about to pull the trigger on a growant 400. .
Exactly. Are you growing in an out building?

Man, u should keep your soil warmer then 71F. Once the roots drop in temp, they stop growing. Then it takes almost probably 6-7 hours to start to warm the core of the pot, then starts to cool again because of night temps. Even putting the pots on a regulated heat pad, controlled with a temp thermostat. Those bottoms of the pots are just as important as the lights,

Man, u should keep your soil warmer then 71F. Once the roots drop in temp, they stop growing. Then it takes almost probably 6-7 hours to start to warm the core of the pot, then starts to cool again because of night temps. Even putting the pots on a regulated heat pad, controlled with a temp thermostat. Those bottoms of the pots are just as important as the lights,
I'm thinking if my environment is around the 70°f mark at night and I have an 8° upswing in daytime, then that's ideal for me. Are you suggesting that I elevate my pots? I have taken the precaution of insulating my floor with R20, Ill likely be heating the space through a radiant oil heater when it's lights off.

Let me ask this then... how can I keep my leaf temperatures on the cool side to help with better trichome production and then keep my roots on the warm side, is a heating pad the best way to go for this? To be honest, I had not even thought about the soil getting too cold, I just assumed that if I keep my environment ideal, the soil will follow.

I think that once you see how that cmh performs, you'll buy more cmh.

I'm thinking if my environment is around the 70°f mark at night and I have an 8° upswing in daytime, then that's ideal for me. Are you suggesting that I elevate my pots? I have taken the precaution of insulating my floor with R20, Ill likely be heating the space through a radiant oil heater when it's lights off.

Let me ask this then... how can I keep my leaf temperatures on the cool side to help with better trichome production and then keep my roots on the warm side, is a heating pad the best way to go for this? To be honest, I had not even thought about the soil getting too cold, I just assumed that if I keep my environment ideal, the soil will follow.
Up till a month ago all my pots have been on concrete. Veg still is. The only reason I even got them off the floor was for easy access. In the winter I draw air from the outside into the flower side to cool them down. Haven't ran into any issues, and your floor is insulated. If you are getting them that cold to where the roots might be effected, it probably would be near the very end and shouldn't matter.

As far led vs any other light. So far 2 out of 2 growers that use hps saw my grow and said they are going to switch. I've never used hps or any other light so I only know I like my LEDs.

Back
Top Bottom