CMH question

LxCxPx

I have an extra 600W ballast and hood sitting around that I want to add into my grow room. I need to buy a bulb for it as I only have a spare 400w hps. I am curious is my ballast able to operate a cmh bulb, and if so what kind would I need? I was at my hydro store today and I was told that there is no 600w cmh and I may need some kind of more expensive converter bulb based on my ballast. So I would figure I would come here and ask you fine folks for some help.

Can I fit a 600w cmh into an 600w hps, do i need 'converter'? or expensive bulbs? or is it too much hassle and stick with hps, which is what I'm very close to doing.

f3u980.jpg

Some do that type of thing. But I would only install a CMH bulb in a proper CMH fixture. Even if it doesn't cause a fire you probably aren't getting the same efficiency.

It says right on the label to only install an HPS ED style Bulb or you're risking fire.

You should be able to install your 400 HPS bulb if it is the right ED style into the 600 watt fixture. The fixture will handle up to 600 watts.

I don't believe that there are CMH bulbs for that particular ballast available.

There "used" to be CMH bulbs that would work in 400w HPS magnetic ballasts, the Phillips Retro White Ceramic Metal Halides, but they were discontinued a few years ago. These were only made in 400w though, and only were to be used in magnetic HPS ballasts.

The Pulse Start CMH bulbs took over and I don't know too much about them, or what kind of ballasts they are compatible with, but I think they only come in 315W or something like that... I don't believe they are made for the type of ballast you have.

Your best bet would be to see if they have a Metal Halide 600w Conversion bulb, which should work in the HPS ballast. I have used the 400w Ushio MH bulbs in the past and they are excellent bulbs, made to work in magnetic HPS ballasts. Not sure if they still make them but may be a good option to seek.

Other than that I'm not sure what else would work with that magnetic ballast other than 600w HPS bulbs. I would possibly write the manufacture to see if they have some suggestions.

Wish I could help more.

ceramic high pressure sodium? i thought all the rage was ceramic metal halide.

Hmm yeah, a closer look, it left that out didn't it. I cant find any info on them anyways...

So its ok to run a 400w bulb in that 600w ballast? cause at this point ima give up trying to find a cmh for a 600w.

THIS! This looks perfect, has the screw in part, I don't need that funky prong converter thing. However, it doesnt exist. I can't find it anywhere and the manufacturer website link for it isn't found/removed.

Page not found | EYE Hortilux

None amazon... I can't find one anywhere.

Sorry mate. I just received that pamphlet, and had no idea it wasn't available. ✌️

Hmm yeah, a closer look, it left that out didn't it. I cant find any info on them anyways...

So its ok to run a 400w bulb in that 600w ballast? cause at this point ima give up trying to find a cmh for a 600w.

I guess not. It seems to me that as long as you're using the same voltage and wave form, it wouldn't matter as long as the fixture will supply enough wattage . Whatever the bulb uses is what the wattage will be. But according to this article they have to be matched.

Does the Bulb have to match my Ballast?

Well I threw that light in with the 400 bulb a couple days ago... no fire yet.

so now with 1 plant left, I have a 1000w hps, 400w hps, and supposedly a 1800w led...
I don't believe that led one Ill have to make a separate questionnaire post on that one.

Hello there!! I have a question. So I am upgrading my lighting to CMH set up from LEDs because I want to try something different something new and bulbs that I've heard great results about. My question is has anybody went through a full grow veg and flower with the 4200 k CMH bulb?

Back
Top Bottom