LED Distance To Seedlings

04cobra

Hi guys! I'm starting my very first grow and pretty excited about it! I've got a ton of good info from these forums but can't find the specific info I'm looking for at the moment so I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm growing 2 CSK white widow auto flowers (they've sprouted and are on their 3rd day since seeing actual serrated leaves) in a 3x3x7 grow tent and using a Galaxyhydro 600 watt full spectrum LED light, but not sure how close this light should be to my seedlings. I know that LED's can burn seedlings even though they don't put out a lot of heat, so I started out at 56" as per the manfacturers recommendations but quickly realized that's way too far after some reading on here so that only lasted a day. I've since lowered the light to 24" and this is the third day at that height. They've been showing noticeable growth in width everyday and look healthy but the plants are only an inch across. They're not growing taller so I'm taking that as a sign that the light isn't too far away. I kind of want to move the light closer but I also don't want to burn them. But on the other hand because they're auto flowers I don't want to stunt their growth from being too far away either. My temperature and humidy are good, soil moisture is good. Sorry for the long winded post, any advice on how close to keep this light would be much appreciated! Also I don't have a meter to measure light output at all. Thanks

I'd aim for 40 inches to start. Maybe even 48". To be safe. And lower them by a couple inches every few days

The reason they are not growing taller is because the Blue light stops the stretch. The Galaxyhydro300 ( advertised par of 453 at 18in)has a par of 215 at 18inches, which is barely good to even veg with. I heard the Galaxy600, is WORSE, if that makes any sense. Good buds need at least 400 par up to 1000 par. They say at 18in the 600w has 529 par, I bet its half that. i cant even find a single ad with the actual watts used, but its probably around 140watts.

Dont be afraid to lower that thing to 18 inches, even at this stage. When you flower with it, 10 inches and keep a fan on your canopy.

Not doggin you man, just helping. That is one of the crappiest LEDs available. Just being honest.

Well shit, I’m glad I didn’t pay much for it. Actual wattage is about 230w. Maybe I’ll try lowering it some more then and see how they respond.

I have a 600w LED (277W draw), and started my seedlings at 18" distance from it. I just moved the light to 20", as the plants are about 2.5" tall now and starting on the third node development (at 9 days after poking through the soil). The light I use has veg and growth switches, and I started them out with just veg for a week then put both switches on. The temp inside my seedling tray/humidity dome was around 28 C at 18".

4 x 4 room setup with 600W LED (277W draw) with veg and bloom switches. Light 18" above pots.
20171116_114715.jpg

7 days after popping through soil.
20171116_114747.jpg

i was advised to lower my leds to within a few inches of my seedlings, is his bad advise? just a new grower and have 2x vander 600w leds, not sure the actual draw they werent overly expensive, and have a marshydro 240w coming i will add also,
after reading this i think i better go raise he lights back up to where i first had them
though haha

I would set aside the led for now and just use a CFL, but that's just me. Hate to kill a seedling. Couple feet away is fine early on....

I would set aside the led for now and just use a CFL, but that's just me. Hate to kill a seedling. Couple feet away is fine early on....

i only have the leds, may look at getting a cfl then?
have 2 royalhaze af, 2 gas og and 1 critical all a few days old, have raised the lights to about 20” for now, have to nip out so will drop the pots lower too when i get back to add some more

Go with what you got just hang them high.

Back
Top Bottom