Does Size Really Matter - LED?

DaMunchieMan

420 Member
Okay so we all know when we use HID lights the more wattage you have the more you yield right? You are more than capable of doing a grow with a 450w light but if you use a 1000w light you have a better yield correct?

Is this the same way with LED? If i have a 4x4 tent, instead of using the recommended 450w for coverage can you hang a 1000w for more light and a bigger yield?

And is it better to get 1 big light or a couple smaller lights? For instance would it be better to have a one big 1000w LED or two smaller 450w LESs?

The reason for my question is I'm looking to purchase LED lights and I'm torn on what to do. I'm choosing between
PlatinumLED, Meizhi Reflector, or going with the Mars Reflector everyone seems to like. The size I choose I guess depends on the answers I get to this post.

Please let me know if I got this right or if it's not necessary to spend the extra cash on the big lights.

> Okay so we all know when we use HID lights the more wattage you have the more you yield right?
Yes
> You are more than capable of doing a grow with a 450w light but if you use a 1000w light you have a better yield correct?
Yes
> Is this the same way with LED?
Of course
> If i have a 4x4 tent, instead of using the recommended 450w for coverage can you hang a 1000w for more light and a bigger yield?
Yes. And by the way, one "450 watt" LED lamp, which will use about 200 actual watts from the wall, would be a better choice for a 2 x 2 tent than a 4 x 4.
> And is it better to get 1 big light or a couple smaller lights? For instance would it be better to have a one big 1000w LED or two smaller 450w LESs?
A few thoughts come to mind:
  • Do you want some redudancy so if a light fails your plants are not completely in the dark?
  • Look at the light distribution footprint. More lamps will give you more even coverage.
  • Cost: More lights costs more per lumen

Okay so we all know when we use HID lights the more wattage you have the more you yield right? You are more than capable of doing a grow with a 450w light but if you use a 1000w light you have a better yield correct?

Is this the same way with LED? If i have a 4x4 tent, instead of using the recommended 450w for coverage can you hang a 1000w for more light and a bigger yield?

And is it better to get 1 big light or a couple smaller lights? For instance would it be better to have a one big 1000w LED or two smaller 450w LESs?

The reason for my question is I'm looking to purchase LED lights and I'm torn on what to do. I'm choosing between
PlatinumLED, Meizhi Reflector, or going with the Mars Reflector everyone seems to like. The size I choose I guess depends on the answers I get to this post.

Please let me know if I got this right or if it's not necessary to spend the extra cash on the big lights.

It's not necessarily so with the lower watts yielding less per gram than a more powerful light. 600w HPS seem to get more yield than a 1000w. There are variables and it comes down to space most of the time. The spread of light from a 1000w light compared to a 600w is not a great deal. Because of this, in certain grow scenarios, the 600w gives out more useable and beneficial light than a 1000w.

I've never grown with LEDs so I don't know if it's the same principle.

I'm happy you've started this thread, LEDs are not as widely used across the pond as they are in the States. I'm planning on doing a controlled LED vs HPS so need as much info as possible!!! :)

It's not necessarily so with the lower watts yielding less per gram than a more powerful light. 600w HPS seem to get more yield than a 1000w. There are variables and it comes down to space most of the time. The spread of light from a 1000w light compared to a 600w is not a great deal. Because of this, in certain grow scenarios, the 600w gives out more useable and beneficial light than a 1000w.

I've never grown with LEDs so I don't know if it's the same principle.

I'm happy you've started this thread, LEDs are not as widely used across the pond as they are in the States. I'm planning on doing a controlled LED vs HPS so need as much info as possible!!! :)

Anyone who's paying 67% more for electricity but getting a lower yield has a major problem with their setup!

A few thoughts come to mind:
Do you want some redudancy so if a light fails your plants are not completely in the dark?
Look at the light distribution footprint. More lamps will give you more even coverage.
Cost: More lights costs more per lumen

To be honest I never really thought of it as a backup light using two. I did think about the coverage using two lights though and to be honest for those two reasons I think that might be the way I go depending on MySpace. I was using the 4 by 4 as an example. I think when it comes down to it I only want to grow two to three plants so I will probably go with a 2x4 or 3x3 depending upon the space I have in my new place.

To be honest I never really thought of it as a backup light using two.

There used to be a gigantic freight locomotive that could do the work of two. I thought it was pretty cool, but it didn't sell well. The problem was that when it was in the shop, it was effectively like having two locomotives off line and it was ultimately more effective just to buy two plain old locomotives than one super locomotive. That's what came to mind for some reason...

Icemud did a very good post on LED lighting that is worth a read. See Post 1245

Like Scientific said, 2 small lights may work better than 1 flamethrower. Analyse your space & do your research. We have some great lighting sponsors so reach out to them as well for recommendations.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom