Advice on LED

stupot89

Hi, I have a 1mx1m veg tent I use to veg 4 baby's. I usaly take them up to 2 week in flower then put in big tent. I currently use 600w hps on a digital ballast that I start of at 200w then increase up to full power as the grow. I'm looking for an led that could replicate this as its getting hard to keep temps down and humidity up. I just have no clue about leds so any help would be great.

I have vipar spectra's now. They are decent but if you really want something to replace that hps I would suggest Black Diamond Perfect Sun. They are a site sponsor, the owner is an active member here and offers discounts on some of his products to site members. I will be upgrading from the vipar spectras soon. I honestly think the perfect sun led's are the very best on the market, from what I can tell.

Mars Hydro is another site sponsor you may want to look into. They also have active members on this site and lots of people here grow with their leds.

Check out the site sponsors

:passitleft:

Hi Ive had good results using a Mars Reflector48 for vegging plants.

They have a Reflector192 version for under $300 which will do a 4x4

6DC7104F-F83B-47B8-93B7-BB7017DDF041.jpeg

Spectrum King Closet Case

A 600w LED still puts out similar heat to a 600w HPS. Among LED's, some will have higher efficiency, turning more electricity into light instead of heat. Some of the most efficient LED lights on the market are built by Fluence Bioengineering, with over 2.1 µmol / watt. Most manufacturers won't list that statistic though. A good 600w HPS light is about 1.8 µmol / watt. A cheap LED light could actually be less efficient than what you use now.

If heat is your main concern you'd be better off adding a closed reflector with air ducting to your HPS.

A 600w LED still puts out similar heat to a 600w HPS. Among LED's, some will have higher efficiency, turning more electricity into light instead of heat. Some of the most efficient LED lights on the market are built by Fluence Bioengineering, with over 2.1 µmol / watt. Most manufacturers won't list that statistic though. A good 600w HPS light is about 1.8 µmol / watt. A cheap LED light could actually be less efficient than what you use now.

If heat is your main concern you'd be better off adding a closed reflector with air ducting to your HPS.

Nope, not at all, I totally disagree with the led=arc lighting heat crap, I work in an industry where lighting is our maintstay and a 24 watt cfl gets hotter than our 90 watt led spot light, every component inside the case stays under 41 degrees.

Nope, not at all, I totally disagree with the led=arc lighting heat crap, I work in an industry where lighting is our maintstay and a 24 watt cfl gets hotter than our 90 watt led spot light, every component inside the case stays under 41 degrees.

Not sure if I believe it either. I would assume that LED's being more efficient would put off less heat. But from what I've read it's negligible. My 660w Spydrx Plus still puts out a lot of heat. Only difference is HPS puts out radiant heat that warms the plants and everywhere the light shines. LED's don't give off much radiant heat, it mostly rises from the unit to the ceiling.

IMHO you will need a fan for almost any light you will use if it is going to produce well. They all produce heat to some extent.

I have an Epi320 in a 3x3 tent. I flower 4 plants at a time under it in a perpetual rotation. Here is a pick of an AK48 that I recently chopped. She yielded about 110g. :circle-of-love::peace:

That's a pretty lady. Is the Epi320 the strongest panel Mars sells? Definitely going to have to fan 720w of heat out of a 3x3 tent. But does that yield still feel low for 720w?

110g x 4 plants = 440g. But 0.61g/watt.

Their website advertises 2.0g/watt for the Epi320 :hmmmm:

That's a pretty lady. Is the Epi320 the strongest panel Mars sells? Definitely going to have to fan 720w of heat out of a 3x3 tent. But does that yield still feel low for 720w?

You could achieve better yields by using a skrog, but since I am running a perpetual garden, I am chopping a plant every 2 weeks. Depending on stain, seed or clone etc I get 4-6 oz per plant. With the limited space I have, that keeps a continuous supply for myself and the other people I help. I have a couple with MS like myself, a several with pain issues. :circle-of-love::peace:

It's a new space so just getting used to the environment. I have cool tubes and heat isn't a concern now as its cold outside. But they are sitting nice now with equipment at about 60 % my rhino6inch extractor fan which is on my carb filter will be first to upgrade I think now

I'm sure he meant that one plant produced 110 grams. Looking at the pics there's more than 110 imo

Forgot to say I'm in UK the

We have warehouse and repair center in the Uk to offer you fast and cheap shipment, 2years warranty.
Both reflector 192 and MarsII1200 can cover your 4'x4' grow size very well.

I've been reading the linked posts and reports. Sort of understand but have a couple questions...

One report talks about this lower PPFD slowing the speed of growth. Is that the only issue because I can wait :)

Would making the panel larger, and spreading out the lights solve this? or does it need bigger size with more lights?

If I use half the power for twice as long, don't I consume the same power and produce the same quality at the same cost?

When part of a plant is getting better ppfd than other parts, does it share within the entire plant? I don't really know how photosynthesis works.

These are seeking better understanding questions only.

Thanks for doing this work and sharing the results. :goodjob:

Back
Top Bottom