Lighting Dilemma

MrFortwenty

I'm only growing in a 2.3x2.3x5 tent, currently running one Mars II 400. I would like to maximize the space and use as much light as I can. Now the current Mars is less than 6 months old, so I would hate to replace it completely, but would if required.

Having said that, what do you think I should do or get? Replace the 400 with a used Mars II 700? Add another 400? Buy two ECO 49's for either side of the 400? OR get rid of the 400 all together and get a different LED?

More lights - more heat as well, maybe one way of looking at it (extraction may have to be increased). Whats got most light intensity with less heat, trying to think out the tent(box). In saying that i have no experience with said lights mentioned. regards

Since the Mars puts out approx. 170W of energy and you're using about 5 sqft that will allow you to grow a couple of decent sized plants in that space with that light. Adding another 100W would start to overwhelm the space-and remember that increased power means increased thermal to the space so environmentals need to be monitored.

The only way you are going to grow anyrhing better is to upgrade your light efficiency. Either go HPS, COB, or qb boards. For about $180-$260 I can show you a exactly what to buy for maximizing your current spaces lighting needs.

Since the Mars puts out approx. 170W of energy and you're using about 5 sqft that will allow you to grow a couple of decent sized plants in that space with that light. Adding another 100W would start to overwhelm the space

I must respectfully disagree. I don't think 270 watts of LEDs is going "overwhelm" the space. In fact it should give denser buds and more resin. (I agree that things will get warmer, of course.)

The only way you are going to grow anyrhing better is to upgrade your light efficiency. Either go HPS, COB, or qb boards. For about $180-$260 I can show you a exactly what to buy for maximizing your current spaces lighting needs.

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with this one as well. He can grow better plants simply increasing the light he has--no need to switch to HPS, COB, or whatever. And an LED grow light is pretty efficient!

I'm with sci. As always. Give them more u moles. D OSENT matter what lights source just add more!

I'm gonna respectfully disagree with this one as well. He can grow better plants simply increasing the light he has--no need to switch to HPS, COB, or whatever. And an LED grow light is pretty efficient!
I don't think he physically has room to squeeze more light into said tent. That's why I said efficiency. I have the same mars400 in a larger tent and there isn't room for another fixture next to it. I mean there is maybe 6-8" of play on each side in my 2.5"x2.5"

And why wouldn't a small qb120 board in that tent do him well? It'd be cheaper than any mars fixture and do an awesome job. It'd be less than $100 for two boards and a driver.

LPC-100-2100 = $23
Qb120 board = $30 x 2 = $60
Misc wire and connectors = $20

I think the 2.3x2.3 can fit another 400 in it pretty much exactly. It's 11.5 inches across, so side by side they would almost span the entire tent. This is the dilemma I face, get another light to stuff in there or replace the 400 all together. Such a small space, might not require two lights but rather a pretty decent single light. I'm not overly concerned about heat, the 400 doesn't pump out much and my oscillating and extractor fans do well in such a small space.

I have no clue how to build a cob, and might end up breaking or spending more $ than what is needed. Someone want to build me a killer light, or two little ones for either side of my 400? :) Those quantum's seem pretty neat.

I think the 2.3x2.3 can fit another 400 in it pretty much exactly. It's 11.5 inches across, so side by side they would almost span the entire tent. This is the dilemma I face, get another light to stuff in there or replace the 400 all together. Such a small space, might not require two lights but rather a pretty decent single light. I'm not overly concerned about heat, the 400 doesn't pump out much and my oscillating and extractor fans do well in such a small space.

I have no clue how to build a cob, and might end up breaking or spending more $ than what is needed. Someone want to build me a killer light, or two little ones for either side of my 400? :) Those quantum's seem pretty neat.

The mars 400 is 14" wide. They lie online, I have one myself and you can BARELY fit a mars 300w next to it.

Send me a PM and I can walk you through it brotha!! It's easier than you think. Cobs/qb boards are the way to go if you are going to invest already. You could even use that mars light for its drivers and recycle them for your cob fixture! I'd said until you have zero use for it though. They make good veg lights.

Here's your parts list for two vero 29s.
420-magazine-mobile1738660883.jpg
420-magazine-mobile261716443.jpg
420-magazine-mobile82968202.jpg

I can send you individual links to each part as well. Total is about $123 without frame work. A rapidled frame would be an extra $25.

Damn, this seems overwhelming. So all this would build a light to completely replace the mars and I could use it in a veg tent? What would be the wattage of this new light?

It's not that hard tbh. You'd be screwing in two screws per cob on the heatsinks. Putting a thermal pad on, and poking a wire in! There are tons of diy kits online that will walk you through it. Worst case scenario you can call me and I'll help yah!! Haha. This light would be good for about 100w.

VERO29SE 2' x 2' LED Grow Kit

This kit is good for 225 watts, and would completely replace the mars 400. Yes, it only has 50 more watts, but it's efficiency will outperform the mars like no other. I'd expect a half - 3/4 of a pound with ease from this setup. I yielded about a 200 grams from my mars 400 + mars 300 for reference, and the nugs quality couldn't even share the same jar as my cob nugs.

Quantum boards are a little cheaper, but finding them in stock is a different story. You could start with two cobs, and then add another two later! They'll fit next to the mars 400 for sure.

I'm glad to see that there are finally kits out there so you don't have to do your own engineering. That one looks pretty cool.

Right!!! And rapid does a pretty good job of not screwing you over! I priced everything in that kit out myself and it's $330!! If you are a first time customer, you'll get 10% off as well and FREE shipping. $240 for 225w of cob power YES PLEASE!!

There is this too, and it can come pre-assembled for $25. Horticulture Lighting Group 260 Watt Quantum Board LED Kit | GrowersLights

Would that come assembled with the rails, anyone know? And would this be too much for a 2.3x2.3? Or is the VERO29SE 2' x 2' LED Grow Kit a better match despite it not covering my total sq feet?

That cob setup will more than cover your tent! Either one of those options are ideal! I don't have experience with quantum boards, I plan on running them in unison with my cobs in the future though! These are kits though. Like I said prior I can assist you with piecing together your own kit, and it'll save you some money. Send me a PM brotha.

Also you are at 5.44 sqft. You want around 30-50w a sqft with cobs/qb boards depending on stages of growth. Either one of these will meet those demands ..

Back
Top Bottom