Wanting to go LEDs need some help

Dabaday

Hello all
I have normally grown outdoors, but I am starting an indoor operation and I am leaning towards L.E.D lighting. So here are some of my details. I built a 8x8x8 room and i am only going to grow 2-4 plants maybe 4-5 ft tall (depends on how much i drop on lights initial may buy another one or two later). I was thinking of buying (2) 600W L.E.D.'s. Will this work for 2 or 3 plants? or should I get some smaller L.E.D's and do one light per plant? Any info or extra advice is much appreciated! Wishing you a highly productive year!

Re: Wanting to go L.E.D.'s need some help :)

Hello all
I have normally grown outdoors, but I am starting an indoor operation and I am leaning towards L.E.D lighting. So here are some of my details. I built a 8x8x8 room and i am only going to grow 2-4 plants maybe 4-5 ft tall (depends on how much i drop on lights initial may buy another one or two later). I was thinking of buying (2) 600W L.E.D.'s. Will this work for 2 or 3 plants? or should I get some smaller L.E.D's and do one light per plant? Any info or extra advice is much appreciated! Wishing you a highly productive year!

You need to take my advise I highly recommend you look at ps 1000 lights black diamond

Also fushion boards white light technology.

I can recommend you to a great helper fella named furcifer he is very great at lighting so is derby bud as well .

Bit furcifer and pennywise helped me with great info .

Welcome to the led world.

Re: Wanting to go L.E.D.'s need some help :)

What's your budget?

LED's doesn't quire work that way, and watt just measures how much power goes in, not how much light/heat comes out.
Many LED companies will try to sucker you in to buy the sub par lights.

Fact is that none of the LED lights you can buy use the latest tech, and most are barely more efficient than HID watt for watt.
EDIT ---> There are a few, but you can DIY a better version a lot cheaper ;)

Basically the best advice I can give is to buy HID or build your own COB lamp which is not as difficult as it seems at first glance ;)

It is always better to have many smaller points of light than one big (see inverse square law)

You might want to divide your room into a veg room and a flowering room, gives a faster turn around and if you want to grow different strains and/or big plants it's very nice to be able to give each plant the veg and flowering times it needs.

To properly saturate that space with light you need at least 4x 600w HID lights, or 2x 1000w HID light on movers.

If you only want to grow a few plants start out getting one or two 600w HID's and get to know the indoor game before spending money on LED.

No need to break out the big bucks before you find out what style of growing you prefer. Your lights should suit your needs, not the other way around.

600W L.E.D.'s. Will this work for 2 or 3 plants?

I've been growing 4 plants in a 3' by 3' by 6' with an LEC 315 with no problem. In an 8' by 8' you could grow an orchard. I'm currently growing with COBS (Migro 400) to save energy and to cut down on heat. I'm getting plenty of PAR (2 micro moles per watt) and more even lighting. You want to buy an LEC? COB'S and Quantum board LED's are the most efficient lights out there. If I were going to burn huge amounts of electricity I would just grow with metal Halide - HPS.

Hello all

What is your budget?
I have to agree the most efficient lights are the Quantium boards from Horticulture Lighting Group. I however am growing with Vero 29 COB's and the are kickin ass this picture is from 4 weeks into flower in a 4'x6' grow space
IMG_3342_copy.jpg

Dab, as you've probably realized by now it will benefit to do some research. There are so many options available for lighting so choosing a particular technology merits a closer look at its real world performance-doesn't make any sense to invest in 'new' tech unless it actually works better. I chose to use led's because my grow environment can be challenging to manage heat. This is where it's important to look at efficacy(how efficiently it converts electricity to light)-HID's are hard to beat $ for $ as long as you can get rid of the heat. My advice-spend some time learning about the different types of light, see which are more efficient and see if they are worth the investment.

If you have the money build or buy good cob fixture. I second the migro light as it has even light through total footprint. They are expensive but should be good. But on the other hand boards and cob kits are almost as good for less money.

If you have the money build or buy good cob fixture. I second the migro light as it has even light through total footprint. They are expensive but should be good. But on the other hand boards and cob kits are almost as good for less money.

Board -and COBkits are much better for a fraction of the money, with the Migro400 most of what you pay for is fancy framing....

You get a looooooot more for your money if you DIY! A Migro 400 uses 4 COBs running waaay too hard and costs 950 euro / $1185!!!!
4 COBs are best used running soft covering around 2x2.

4x Luminus CXM22 COBs = $76
4x Passive heat sinks = $40
1x Meanwell driver = $70

Total = $186! Leaves you with $1000 for framing and lenses which can be done for like $50, if you go with reflectors in stead of lenses it's gonna be $10-$20 ;)

Aluminum profiles are very cheap and can be found in almost every hardware store, hell you can even use an old kithen cabinet door or a bicycle wheel, it's just a fixture for holding the light in place and that's all we need it to do. If you wanna copy that migro design pull the base of an office chair and exchange the wheels with some adjustable holders for the heatsinks ;)

Pay for components if you want light, pay for design if ehhh... I can't seem find a good reason for this.... :)

Cut out the middle-man and grow your own and build your own :passitleft:

I completely agree, I was planning to build something like migro before it even came out. I would pay the big bux for migro if I was rich, but alas I never had the cash to build one even close to those.
I was mEvelyn pointing out what good quality grow lights are made with. And like everyone says build it way cheaper always. Even look up king Brite on alibaba. There are some decent deals to be had there.

Back
Top Bottom