Regular household LED bulbs or CFL for small veg area?

Kip22

I'm thinking of finally building a small veg area (up to 4 small plants). Has anyone had any luck with regular LED bulbs and if so what color temps?

The other two possibilities I'm thinking of are CFL or maybe a t5 florescent fixture.

Thanks!

I'm thinking of finally building a small veg area (up to 4 small plants). Has anyone had any luck with regular LED bulbs and if so what color temps?

The other two possibilities I'm thinking of are CFL or maybe a t5 florescent fixture.

Thanks!

48b91892444aaba5b315295e450a8964.jpg

Currently finding out. I will want white for veg. I have 200watts of led house hold bulbs. You can get the cob led full sprectrum which works all through the stages. There about 25 a light at Canadian tire

Thanks!
I saw that t5s work great for small plants especially cloning but full spectrum led is the way to go if u also need a little heat off your light. I'm still relatively new at this so this is just what I researched not from my experience. Good luck

I saw that t5s work great for small plants especially cloning but full spectrum led is the way to go if u also need a little heat off your light. I'm still relatively new at this so this is just what I researched not from my experience. Good luck

From what I've read and seen from another friend who grows. Those full sprectrum bulbs work amazing.

Thanks for the reply Ty.

I'm sure someone out there has tried it and can report the results?

For me I've already got lots of bulbs and split bases so I was thinking 4 LED 60 watt equivalents for about 1.5 square foot veg area. I know I could go CFL but those run hotter and are getting harder and harder to find.

A little advice for ya. With LED and CFL the bulbs can and should be almost touching the plant. In your case maybe 3 inches above the plant/box.

Thanks for the reply Ty.

I'm sure someone out there has tried it and can report the results?

For me I've already got lots of bulbs and split bases so I was thinking 4 LED 60 watt equivalents for about 1.5 square foot veg area. I know I could go CFL but those run hotter and are getting harder and harder to find.

A little advice for ya. With LED and CFL the bulbs can and should be almost touching the plant. In your case maybe 3 inches above the plant/box.

Good to know I'll raise them up right now. If u can I would get those full spec led. U cannot go wrong. To me in my opinion. If I can get 50 watts per sq foot with led. U cannot go wrong

Hey ty. Keep in mind that's 50 real watts. So a 100 watt LED equivalent bulb is really only about 15 to 20 real watts. If I was gonna spend 100 bucks on a veg light I'd buy a low end/small mars MEIZHI or a vipar.

My flower area I have an appollo 100 and a MEIZHI 120 watt in a 3.5 sq ft area and they work fantastic. My issue is I only have that area right now so its always start to finish no clones no perpetual grow etc.

Hey ty. Keep in mind that's 50 real watts. So a 100 watt LED equivalent bulb is really only about 15 to 20 real watts. If I was gonna spend 100 bucks on a veg light I'd buy a low end/small mars MEIZHI or a vipar.

My flower area I have an appollo 100 and a MEIZHI 120 watt in a 3.5 sq ft area and they work fantastic. My issue is I only have that area right now so its always start to finish no clones no perpetual grow etc.

Yea the power watts is crazy low. Yea the local store ones for the cob full spec are 60w. But if u get a power bar double sided. Get 4x100w lamp bulbs. Plus 2 cobs. I'd say that's an apple supple of light for 60-70 bucks. Plus a real good power bar is another 60. Price range sound 120 160. For the extra 50 the led grows are worth it. They have pre built fans

Thanks!
Home Depot released a LED line of plant lights perfect for this, they have 2' led full spectrum light bars in the garden centre online and in some stores. Only 19W of led but they say it covers 2'x2'. More likely 2'x1'. As they are longer than wide. They also have some for just seedlings that are t5 florescent and I use them myself in a 4' Length and have great clones using 6500k lights.

I'm using 100w equivalent Philips bulbs for my PC micro grow at the moment. Using 2 14w (100w) equivalent 5000k and 1 2700k for veg for full spectrum. Having amazing results but for a more focused light take the light diffuser off. The plastic covers do spread the light better but reduce intensity and penetration.

cut the plastic off them if you use them.

but you could get a HLG qb120 for $30 and a driver. Be something like $45

cut the plastic off them if you use them.

but you could get a HLG qb120 for $30 and a driver. Be something like $45

Yea I'm doing some digging around. I want the full spec cob led. But they're not cheap. For the 4 bulbs I'd like going to be over 100$

"Full Spec" is highly overrated. 3500K, and your good for the entire phase. and really, being in that small space, you dont have room for stretch, so 3500k is perfect. For $100 you can get the QB120 with driver, ready to roll. cant beat that, not for what they are. Used to be able to get them for $30 and buy a driver separate, but its hard to get them in stock. DIY community scarfs them up instantly.

a luminus cxm22 is $19, heatsink with fan is $19 Driver is $12, holder $2.00 aluminum, Less then $60 you have a nice, easy driven, COB setup.

good luck bro,

edit, your not OP,lol, still bro, good luck, lol,,

Back
Top Bottom