Ladybugs for mite control!

RandyL

In my first grow, we never had any mites until halfway through flowering. Then my associate in the venture came up with a concoction of vinegar, isopropyl alcohol, lemon juice, and baking soda to kill them. After the first few spray applications, we took out the vinegar and baking soda.

But the damage seemed to be done. Shriveled up leaves, it mostly killed the mites but took the plants with it. Someone at a collective told me these things we used can also flush some of the good chemicals out of the trichomes. I don't know if that is true or not. He also said you should not spray ANYTHING when the plants are in flower.

But for my second (and SOLO, thank god!) grow, I decided to go all natural and use ladybugs. These plants did get the spray a few times while in veg but they seemed to be ok.

Ladybugs are unusually stupid. You put them on the leaves right next to a bunch of mites, and they go tottering off everywhere else first. Despite my clear American English explanation to the whole bag of ladybugs that any attempts to escape the grow room would result in punishment by death, quite a few tried. And I caught most of them.

But after 2-3 weeks, they did get the mites under control. I have not seen any mites at all on the 3 plants that had their upper leaves loaded with mites in the first week or 2. They have been mite-free for over a week now!

I did see a few mites yesterday on another plant that never had them before, so I found a live ladybug and relocated him to that bud to take care of the problem.

So I will use ladybugs, all natural, and no chemicals!

No, only $12 for a bag of 1500. They lived in my fridge for 3 weeks while I put some one every now and then.

Not really. Some flew out the vent fan, some escaped outside the grow room and were caught by me, and some died and fell on the floor. I got them with the vaccum cleaner, after first cleaning my carpet so the dirt in the filter kept them from getting caught in the filter itself, but rather on top of the dirt so they came out easily.

he's right, ladybugs never kill them all, they just keep them under control. but for 20 and no work, it's good. the clean up is simple, vacum.

Azamax will kill them little sons of a dirty trichomes eating mothers, and the neem oil makes your baby look so sexy work in the food garden as well, it is a vegetable based product. wont kill bees and lady bugs how good is that.

I think lady bugs get sick of eating them. I seen some small black and white spiders wipe out mites I heard put your plant on and ant hill let the ants do the mite eating. I like AzaMax because of all the befits. Lots of F'n grasshoppers and crickets this year they munch plants in no time it stops them to. If anyone has bugs in your Elm trees AzaMax can help. Just stop misting when harvest flushing, we want to smell and taste fine cannabis oils not AzaMAX. Peace and happy 420 smoke one!:Rasta:

Neem oil and hang a couple "Hot Shots" in there they will be gone in a few days... Someone told me about the Hot Shots and have not had a Problem since.

I have lady bugs naturally year round in our part of the USA. They are from non native bugs first imported to Georgia to control aphids on pecan trees. They have spread and multiplied all over the south in the billions and billions! They infest buildings, getting under siding in to vents and etc. and hatch out regularly even through the winter on warm days, entering the building and being a nuisance! However, they have been a boon to me! They have almost eliminated aphid infestation problems outside in the gardens(helped by the imported fire ants!) and I have them in large numbers in my grow room year round! I do not know how effective they are on spider mites but I have never had a problem in my grow room with mites! Outside in our hot, humid climate spider mites can be a problem still. I use to wash down plants with a strong fine mist (rinsing off many mites) then as soon as dry spray with rosemary infusion and a little soap for mites then spray them down to wash again before harvest.Repeat applications were sometimes needed. I do not want to smoke anything but pure bud, so I would throw away a plant infested with spider mites before I would smoke it or if it had been sprayed during late bloom with anything! :rollit:

Back
Top Bottom