Seeds Container

jahjahweed

Before purchasing a vacuum container (photo attached) used keep seeds inside a zip packet, put within a simple glass pot filled with rice grains. And it was in a refrigerator. Now i've put the same zip packet in the refrigerator, but am not sure whether i should add some rice or silica gel as well to control the level of humidity, or it isn't necessary due to vacuum nature of the container?
please share any ideas on the subject!
Many thanx!!!
vacuum1.jpg

been saving seeds for years - use a good air tight baggies and then put in a black container (plastic,ect) at present use a Muscle Milk protein container -- then store in dark place (drawers)were ther is a constant temp -- NEVER no issues - I don't store in frigerator (misspelled) freeze or even vacum seal them. The containers you post look good ( looked at them before on amazon) - all seeds I stored have a excellant germination rate (98%) never let the sun or wettness on seeds for preseervation. At present forget the temp that is good for seed storage -68-70% basicly you can go with your rooms "ambement" temp ------- beside seeds many store their weed in the frigerator even freeze it, not a fan of the "ice" box methods

Before purchasing a vacuum container (photo attached) used keep seeds inside a zip packet, put within a simple glass pot filled with rice grains. And it was in a refrigerator. Now i've put the same zip packet in the refrigerator, but am not sure whether i should add some rice or silica gel as well to control the level of humidity, or it isn't necessary due to vacuum nature of the container?
Many thanx!!!
vacuum1.jpg
been saving seeds for years - use a good air tight baggies and then put in a black container (plastic,ect) at present use a Muscle Milk protein container -- then store in dark place (drawers)were ther is a constant temp -- NEVER no issues - I don't store in frigerator (misspelled) freeze or even vacum seal them. The containers you post look good ( looked at them before on amazon) - all seeds I stored have a excellant germination rate (98%) never let the sun or wettness on seeds for preseervation. At present forget the temp that is good for seed storage -68-70% basicly you can go with your rooms "ambement" temp ------- beside seeds many store their weed in the frigerator even freeze it, not a fan of the "ice" box methods
Where did you find that post? 2016
Info is still relevant though.
Small ziplocks in a Mason jar with a bodeva in a dark cool spot. Nowadays.
It used to be a film case in a sock drawer back when they sold film. Hehe
Stay safe.
Bill

Many thanx!!!
vacuum1.jpg
I asked the "how to store" question to a handful of very well known breeders (people we all have heard of before) a while back and here is the general consensus for conditions they recommended:

Dry
Cool/cold/frozen (cool good for 10 years, frozen 20 I was told).
Dark
Low oxygen
Some said sealed/some did not

What I generally do is I use either small 2x4 mylar bags for each batch of seeds, or I've also found on @mazon that they sell bulk 30ml and 50ml plastic vials with screw on caps that work very well. I usually add 1 "silica" dry pack per container and when I put all the containers together I generally drop a few extra silica packs, along with oxygen absorber packs inside of either a mylar ziplock bag, or I use vacuum sealed bags. Seems to work well thus far.

I haven't "sealed" all of my seeds with a vacuum and they have so far been viable and good germination rates after 4 or 5 years.

I keep all of them in the refrigerator which seems to work well, however after a while I lost use of my fruit/veggie drawer due to overflow of seeds..lol Its also best to have them in a cold place that the temp doesn't fluctuate a lot.

I asked the "how to store" question to a handful of very well known breeders (people we all have heard of before) a while back and here is the general consensus for conditions they recommended:

Dry
Cool/cold/frozen (cool good for 10 years, frozen 20 I was told).
Dark
Low oxygen
Some said sealed/some did not

What I generally do is I use either small 2x4 mylar bags for each batch of seeds, or I've also found on @mazon that they sell bulk 30ml and 50ml plastic vials with screw on caps that work very well. I usually add 1 "silica" dry pack per container and when I put all the containers together I generally drop a few extra silica packs, along with oxygen absorber packs inside of either a mylar ziplock bag, or I use vacuum sealed bags. Seems to work well thus far.

I haven't "sealed" all of my seeds with a vacuum and they have so far been viable and good germination rates after 4 or 5 years.

I keep all of them in the refrigerator which seems to work well, however after a while I lost use of my fruit/veggie drawer due to overflow of seeds..lol Its also best to have them in a cold place that the temp doesn't fluctuate a lot.
RH needed for seed storage ?

From all the "known" breeders I asked, almost all of them said dry... but didn't give a RH.
just curious - was looking at a post about "how to germinate 10yr +old seeds") never used knowing special for that, small container , lined with 120 grit sandpaper - tighten lid and shake,shake, shake hope-ing for a "crack"

just curious - was looking at a post about "how to germinate 10yr +old seeds") never used knowing special for that, small container , lined with 120 grit sandpaper - tighten lid and shake,shake, shake hope-ing for a "crack"
I had 3.5 year old seeds that I got to crack … one just came up this morning. I had better luck soaking them in 50/50 water and 3% hydrogen peroxide on a heating mat - within 12 hours 3/4 had cracked, 1 had the start of a definite tail, one looked like the tail was starting to emerge along the crack, and one from the tip. As soon as I saw that, into the rapid rooters they went. It has taken 4 days to get the first one to break ground, but TBH I didnt think they would at all!

good solid information - tail to rapid rooters - might try that - generally once a tail at least 1/4-1/2 inch long I plant in a cup for 1 week then in final container As for cracking them seeds -=- DAM !!!

good solid information - tail to rapid rooters - might try that - generally once a tail at least 1/4-1/2 inch long I plant in a cup for 1 week then in final container As for cracking them seeds -=- DAM !!!
I use rapid rooters because I’m running DWC

Back
Top Bottom