What is germicidal light?

I know that this is an old thread but we were wondering if there may be a light that you could put into an indoor grow room. This would be great against powdery mildew ..

Grow Lights Grow! | The Benefits of UV Light for Indoor Plant Growth

UV light activates a plant’s natural defense mechanisms, producing a sort of “sun screen” to protect itself from the damaging light. Some plants can produce as much as 15 different defense proteins with exposure to UV. As the amount of UV increases, so does the production of defense proteins. The presence of these proteins can enhance a plant’s smell, color, taste and resistance to disease. Plants grown indoors without exposure to UV can lack these enhanced benefits.

Though like everything in life you can find "opinions" on all three sides of the coin ;) :rofl:

Grow lights have UV-A and some UV-B. Those wavelengths don't kill germs and at weak levels actually do help plants. UV-C is much more damaging than A or B and light strong enough to kill pathogens will kill plants.

I'm not contradicting anything on grow lights. Just pointing out that they use different spectrum than germicidal lights.

Hey Jed, I'm just a noob trying to get it right. However, I have done some reading and both Dwight and Kingston have valid points. If you want to battle WPM which I have, I got rid of it with NEEM OIL. You know how it is do a little googling take what you need and leave the rest. But if you like to experiment like I do here is a link for a plug and play UV bulb "no driver needed" just get a pigtail socket from lowes or home depot wire it up and start experimenting. E17 Intermediate Base Germicidal Tube Lamps | 1000Bulbs.com
God Bless, Good Luck. Keep it Green, Keep it Growing

Back
Top Bottom