Examining Trichomes - Best Way?

I'm almost 30 days into flowering and need to start keeping an eye on the trich's. Don't have a camera that can zoom to the atomic level like some of the pics I've seen on here so what strength magnifying lense or loop should I be looking into. I've seen 30x and 60x-100x magnifying lenses in some gardening catalog's.

What would you recommend? - thanks

I got the 60x-100x lighted one from Radio shack.Its OK not the best one out there.
I prefer my 10x jewelers loop,i can get up close and see the tri's very good.
The one i use is a #479 Hamilton Bell 10x model.
The radio shack one is hard to use.

McBudz - Hope that works out for ya. Maybe post back with a report?...since I'm looking
to get a better one!

larryg420 - Sounds like a sweet piece! Unlike my P.O.S. :) ...off to get a better one..

Got my pocket microscope today. Works well. just have to be steady and stable so its hard to examine directly on the plant. You'll have to take a sample back to the table to examine.

An experienced grower can tell 'ripeness' by observing the overall colour change of the maturing colas. Much like a Jonathon Apple that goes red when it is ripe, cannabis flowers also show a ripe colour.
I feel too many growers are in a hurry to harvest and more than often are doing themselves a dis-service by not allowing full ripening. I always allow all of the new pistilation to cease, then I watch for the colour change as the calyxes mature and the resins turn amber. Take White Widow for example, you see a distinct colour change if you allow the buds to go to 70 days, as recommended by breeders, instead of 60.

Got my pocket microscope today. Works well. just have to be steady and stable so its hard to examine directly on the plant. You'll have to take a sample back to the table to examine.

Glad to hear a good report, Mcbudz, thanks!

An experienced grower can tell 'ripeness' by observing the overall colour change of the maturing colas. Much like a Jonathon Apple that goes red when it is ripe, cannabis flowers also show a ripe colour.
I feel too many growers are in a hurry to harvest and more than often are doing themselves a dis-service by not allowing full ripening. I always allow all of the new pistilation to cease, then I watch for the colour change as the calyxes mature and the resins turn amber. Take White Widow for example, you see a distinct colour change if you allow the buds to go to 70 days, as recommended by breeders, instead of 60.

Very helpful read for me, thanks. And I got 2 White Widow's at Day 52.
And another WW at day 73 that looks as if no end is-in-sight!

Pardon me if this is "common sense" but what is a trichome and what is its purpose?

A trichome is a fancy word for a resin gland. Here are some macro images of trichomes.

194IMG_2327cropped1.jpg

194IMG_2374cropped.jpg

194IMG_2368cropped.jpg

194IMG_2351cropped.jpg

194IMG_2350cropped.jpg

194IMG_2344cropped.jpg

194IMG_2335cropped.jpg

194IMG_2334cropped.jpg

Great pics moose.

Unfortunately I do not know the breeder recommended flowering period as my current flowering ladies are bag seed. I'm trying to "feel" the whole plant out. I figure examining the trichomes can only do good and no harm. Currently at 35 days and keeping a close eye on them. A lot of the leaves have turned yellow at this point and some of the older larger leaves are dying off. I assume this is part of the natural process as I have read it several places here. I figured the whole cola would turn an amber hue once the hairs and trichs went amber. I've screwed enough things up in the beginning just trying to get this part right. Certainly don't want to harvest at the wrong time since I have a lot of time, money, and energy put into this first grow.

ive got got greenhouse seeds, himalaya gold, and i went to their website to see all the info i could get and actually awesome enough to Arjan and Franco for doing little videos from 3-13 minutes showing each week of the plants stage, and theyve truly inspired as well as you moose and the other master growers to really use and practice my patients... if i want a good smoke there is lots of patience needed... i myself am going 10 weeks (70 days with mine) maybe a few days longer.

Back
Top Bottom