So you want to grow some pot eh?

Stilletto

I wanted to make this post for new growers to help them decide if they have what it takes to grow some fine weed.

There are hundreds of people who think that they can just get some seeds and grow some pot, only to waste time and money and fail due to the fact that they didn't think ahead.

These are just some basic points to check to see if YOU have what it takes.

1. Hydro vs. soil(organic) vs soilless. -
1a. Are you able to purchase a toy do it yourself model and complete it? Or do you get half way done and it it forgotten? If you finnish building the model is it good or half-assed?
Hyrdo takes knowledge, experience, money and dedication, like a toy model. To set it up takes dedication and fine tuning and perfectionism to get it right and you have to be dedicated to the very end. If you half-ass it you will waste your time and money.
1b. Do you like to dig around in piles of feces with your bare hands? How about dealing with stinky buckets of organic compost? If so soil/organic is the way to go. I dislike crap and rot and decompostion, stinks the place up and is messy and a pita to deal with.
1c. Do you like to be lazy and only have a little time each week for your growing hobby? Do you want ferts that can be bought anywhere and easy to get? Do you want clean set up and eay disposal. Then Soil less is the way to go.

2. Space.
Do you have an area that 3' high bushy stinky plants can grow. Or do you have a little box or closet that you want to start in and yet havenot figured out where the flowering plants will go? Think ahead. Fully mature flowering plants can not be "hidden" from mom/roommate etc. If you do not have the room to finnish, don't start.

3. Equiptment.
Do you think you are going to grow pot plants with an old light you found and some florecents you grabbed out of the ol' garage? Do you think you will just spent $7 on ferts to get started? Do you think that rigging up an old oscilating fan and opening a window is good enough for exausting air? If so then think again. Don't waste your time.

4. Time.
Do you have a schedual that will alow you to take care of your plants? Or do you like to go skiing for a week without notice? Can you dedicate yourself to a schedual?... not maybe... but do you? For 3-4 months? , without ever forgeting?

I can go on but that is a good start.

Here are some other points. If you do it half assed you will get a small amount of crappy weed. It will take the same amount of time for minimal results. If you are going to take all the risks and spend 3 months growing a plant, why not get maximum results instead of minimal results. Don't waste your time. Buy all the right equiptment that you need up front... have your space ready, clean and good to go. Have all the nutes you need ready.
So often I see people with a few seeds from last nights bag and a scoop of dirt from the garden and these people are asking how to cure plants and make hash. FOCUS. information is the best tool you have. Take it one step at a time and do not try to cut corners etc. Just do it right, do it right the first time, and reap the rewards.

Feel free to comment :)

Jonny

lol, i like the comment about opening a window. I had to go outside and board mine up laughable contrast to the situation. great post man

great post,,,,, now lets hope the NEW growers read it!

great post,,,,, now lets hope the NEW growers read it!
new grower here and i have asked a couple of not so bright questions. that said, it defenetly is important to read sometimes even the bad Qs. but your right about doing some homework before you waste time and many $$ only to be disapointed in the end if you even get that far. you fellas no your stuff and i thank you for shareing info.:cheer:

Sounds GOOD-- should of could of would of-I WILL try to learn!!!! I have a 4'x4'x9' tall room-Framed on top of a pallett(Garage leaks)-I used wood framing,a 6 mill thick vapor barrier,then 1/2" drywall, the bottom 4' is Green board( mildew resistant)-the rest is drywall. I built a 12 pak cfl-THANKS TO DIRTINMYEARS Great light.. Vented it thru the topof the light with a 400 cfm inline fan, I have a 16" circulaating fan in the room for that gentle breeze.Need to build a cheap carbon scrubber for the stink,(that's what I FORGOT TO THINK AHEAD ABOUT!!!) I am a newbiee to this fourm, and I THANK EVERYONE for ALL the HELP. Any suggestions for improvement without getting too HIGH tech????

As a new grower about to start my first grow up this post is really helpful.

1 question - can I keep my plants in a large converted bedroom closet from seed to harvest? Will it be big enough at appox 2.5ft deep x 6ft wide x 8ft tall for 4 - 6 plants or am I blue dreaming?

Many thanks

IS

of course you can keep them in your closet from seed to harvest, the real question is how well has the closet been converted?
im sure you could fit four to six plants in that space...it just depends on how big they get

I'm growing 5 plants in a 2' x 3' x 4-1/2' space myself. Because of the limited height I had to top them out, but they seem to be doing the SOG thing pretty well(Sea of Green; I'm just under the recommended 1 plant per square foot). I don't expect a good yield (I'm new at this, too), but the plants are doing fine. Make sure that you can vent heat from the light(s) out of the closet. 15 square feet at the recommended 50 watts per square foot comes out to 750 watts of light (I imagine you will be going with a 1000 watt HPS setup at flowering time), so it might get a little hot.

Note: I have only been at this about 3 months, and there are many people on this site that are experts compared to me. They can give you more accurate info.

Great thread! I wish that I had read it 3 months ago. :reading420magazine: I may have been a little better prepared for what lay ahead. I'm 3 months into my first grow and I have really been enlightened. I had to learn the hard way.

Things I'll do different;

1. I'm not using soil for indoors anymore. (fucking bugs and fungus)
2. I'm only growing outdoors in the summer. (power bill increase of 100%+)
3. When I do use soil, I'll spend the extra $ and get good shit. No more Miracle Grow crap. ( I'm sure that's where all of the damn bugs came from.)
I'm sure that there are more. These are the important changes.

Yes...I do want to grow some pot.

I want to grow my own pot.

I have grown my own pot.

I like growing my own pot.

I like smoking my own pot.

It's not so hard.

It's not so bad...

once you've gotten the basics down.

I don't need to have someone else grow pot for me.

I'll do it myself.

Thank you.

:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom