Opening a hydroponics store

Durango Trip

I am in the planning stages of starting a hydroponics supply store. I was wondering if there was another topic anywhere on this forum.

So far in my research, I have found that most big name companies require you to have a storefront. That is my ultimate goal, but to get things rolling, I would like to open a web only business, and maybe provide local deliveries.

Any thoughts?

It costs anywhere from $50,000 to 75,000 to open. Companies like Sunlight Supply require a $25,000 min buy in. No internet only companies are allowed

That's nice to hear, you plan to open hydroponics supply store. I would suggest you to do your homework carefully prior to stating your store as there are countless competitors waiting to take you down. Best Of Luck!!

Any thoughts?

Yeah. Plan on warehouse space of some kind and STOCK every item you sell. I hate ordering from somewhere only to belatedly learn that the delay in shipping was because the person on the other end of the website I ordered from was operating out of his bedroom and has everything drop-shipped from 3rd parties - or even worse, sits on orders until he has enough to make minimum purchase numbers to receive a certain price.

I'd say the $50k-75k estimate might be a little low for a brick & mortar retail establishment. Don't know about "Internet only" type places, because I do my best to avoid them like the plague since they are hard on the B&M types.

Good luck. Hope you have a healthy chunk of liquid (non-borrowed) capital and an excellent credit rating. Also the luck to live in an area that is NOT already well-served by hydroponics stores.

Yeah. Plan on warehouse space of some kind and STOCK every item you sell. I hate ordering from somewhere only to belatedly learn that the delay in shipping was because the person on the other end of the website I ordered from was operating out of his bedroom and has everything drop-shipped from 3rd parties - or even worse, sits on orders until he has enough to make minimum purchase numbers to receive a certain price.

I'd say the $50k-75k estimate might be a little low for a brick & mortar retail establishment. Don't know about "Internet only" type places, because I do my best to avoid them like the plague since they are hard on the B&M types.

Good luck. Hope you have a healthy chunk of liquid (non-borrowed) capital and an excellent credit rating. Also the luck to live in an area that is NOT already well-served by hydroponics stores.
TS, I have to support my local B&M guys and they will often price match against the web-based guys.

I can't imagine another hydro store opening up near me, we have as many as we have Starbuck's, I have 6 within a 3 mile radius of me, which means there must be a bunch of old ladies growing tomatoes in their spare closet :)

With a little ingenuity you will do just fine. Stock as little as possible. 90 percent of internet based retail just take orders and ship directly from distribution warehouses. Search engine optimization is your biggest priority. Buy 5 to 10 domain names and point them all to your site. Pick domain names that will resemble search criteria. Eg. Newyorkhydroponics.com, hydroponicnutrients.com californiaebbandflow etc. People will search these terms in google. Does that give you an unfair advantage? Whoever is doing your seo, will be able to help you pick this stuff by showing you what people are searching the most. Post testimonials from all clients, not just the good ones. Address your unhappy clients issues immediately and learn from mistakes. A testimonial page of everyone saying your company walks on water is obviously a bunch of shills. Establish and nurture relations with suppliers and dont peddal crap. Volume will establish buying power. In time these suppliers will seek you out. They are interested in profits as well. For certain orders it will be beneficial to invest in stock, but be aware you will need shipping supplies as well. When orders come in, assemble and ship the same day, follow up upon delivery as well.
Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. You can do whatever you set your mind to and people will try and drag you down. If I listened to all of the naysayers I wouldn't be in the position I am in. I have had people say, you cant do that. It will never work and then years later say shit like I knew you could do it, I had faith in you all along or I wish I had jumped on that bandwagon with you years ago.

With a little ingenuity you will do just fine. Stock as little as possible. 90 percent of internet based retail just take orders and ship directly from distribution warehouses. Search engine optimization is your biggest priority. Buy 5 to 10 domain names and point them all to your site. Pick domain names that will resemble search criteria. Eg. Newyorkhydroponics.com, hydroponicnutrients.com californiaebbandflow etc. People will search these terms in google. Does that give you an unfair advantage? Whoever is doing your seo, will be able to help you pick this stuff by showing you what people are searching the most. Post testimonials from all clients, not just the good ones. Address your unhappy clients issues immediately and learn from mistakes. A testimonial page of everyone saying your company walks on water is obviously a bunch of shills. Establish and nurture relations with suppliers and dont peddal crap. Volume will establish buying power. In time these suppliers will seek you out. They are interested in profits as well. For certain orders it will be beneficial to invest in stock, but be aware you will need shipping supplies as well. When orders come in, assemble and ship the same day, follow up upon delivery as well.
Lastly, don't let anyone tell you that you can't do something. You can do whatever you set your mind to and people will try and drag you down. If I listened to all of the naysayers I wouldn't be in the position I am in. I have had people say, you cant do that. It will never work and then years later say shit like I knew you could do it, I had faith in you all along or I wish I had jumped on that bandwagon with you years ago.

100% great advice.. the product review, company/customer service, testimonial page is a GREAT addition to any online business, is what i ALWAYS check first when buying online, especially company review and feedback on service and helpfulness, nothing wrong with having negative feedback as long as any issues are addressed immediately and ammended as dumpy said.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom