I think I'm done with Smart Pots

Blazer420

Let me start off by saying that I think that Smart Pots and their ilk are a good idea and certainly have their place. I think I have been using them for 3 years now and they have served me well - most of the time.

Like many things, they have their pros and cons. I think they are great for the beginning and novice grower. They really do protect you from some really common mistakes like over watering, or bad soil, no root binding, etc.

That said, I'm moving back to plastic pots.

Recently, I had a problem with a non-ph potassium lockout. I think that the mechanism (and what makes Smart Pots a decent option) of action of a Smart Pot was at least indirectly to blame. More on that in a moment.

Here is why I'm going back to plastic:

• Significantly more water consumption
  • Uneven watering - water can and will hit the sides and run out the pot
  • Uneven drying - the airflow through the pot can dry soild faster in some areas
  • They get "sloppy" during the grow - i.e. there is a lot of movement of the pot and the soil/plant because the pot isn't rigid
  • Corrective flushing is hard - water just flows out everywhere instead of evenly top to bottom
  • I believe that because of the uneven drying, you can easily get concentrated nute pockets with no water to act as a carrier to roots

Maybe I'm completely off my rocker with this, but at this point in my growing life, I think I have just "out grown" Smart Pots. Like I said above, I think they are a good thing overall, they just don't fit my needs anymore.

B-

HI Blazer,
check out post #647 on this thread. This might be an option too. Benefit of the fabric pot and a sturdy ridgid cotainer:
Jay233 Grow - Jack Herer - NL x Skunk - THC Bomb - White Rhino - Critical - 600W HPS

Now that looks interesting. So essentially a fabric pot suspended in a net pot? That may be a very interesting way to go.

One thing, I couldn't seem to find any references to anything bigger than 1 gal - I probably missed it. Can you get a net pot that would accommodate a 7 or 10 gal fabric pot?

Thanks again Cannafan!

B-

Hey Blazer420,
not sure if you're still reading this but I have a watering method with the smart pots that seems to work out great to keep water from running to the sides. I use a wood chopstick and go about half way down with a few holes couple inches from the sides. When I water/feed it helps to keep the liquid where I want it as it goes down the holes.
here's what I mean:
Water_Method.jpg

^^^

I do the same as above but with a fork. I basically use the fork like a mini rake/hoe to break up the dirt and help aerate the soil. Aside from aerating the soil it also helps w/ water absorption. I began using this method because in plastic pots the soil gets pulled away from the sides and you're essentially dealing w/ the same issue. I use smart pots now and this technique still works wonders.

I drilled some holes into the lid of a 2 Lt bottle and just squirt the water into the pot without causing over flooding, works great.

Hey Blazer, Canna, Gadlfly; I poke multiple holes into the soil with a bamboo tomato stake as well and have wondered if any one else did or if I would be thought of as off my rocker for disturbing the roots!? Same situation as Gadfly mentions with soil pulling away from plastic containers caused me to begin doing it and my girls have responded well!

Hey Blazer420,
not sure if you're still reading this but I have a watering method with the smart pots that seems to work out great to keep water from running to the sides. I use a wood chopstick and go about half way down with a few holes couple inches from the sides. When I water/feed it helps to keep the liquid where I want it as it goes down the holes.
here's what I mean:
Water_Method.jpg

I have just started using smart pots on my first proper grow (check out my journal if you fancy :) )

IMG_34882.jpg

The tips in here are great and I will take note.

I have already noticed uneven drying out of the soil. This isnt a problem right now as I am just using water for the seedlings but I can see how it could be a problem at a later date.

Hopefully these tips will help prevent those issues

A little satire, if it's allowed. "My name is Blazer. I do not like smart pots. Shortly, I will tell you why I do not like smart pots. I will tell you now why I do not like smart pots. Although I have used them for many centuries, I now conclude they are stupid. They should from here on out be referred to as STUPID POTS. In conclusion, smart pots are, in my robotic opinion, stupid."

A little satire, if it's allowed. "My name is Blazer. I do not like smart pots. Shortly, I will tell you why I do not like smart pots. I will tell you now why I do not like smart pots. Although I have used them for many centuries, I now conclude they are stupid. They should from here on out be referred to as STUPID POTS. In conclusion, smart pots are, in my robotic opinion, stupid."

Not bad. Could have flowed a bit better though. I want to be able to rap to it next time. :)

B-

Now that looks interesting. So essentially a fabric pot suspended in a net pot? That may be a very interesting way to go.

One thing, I couldn't seem to find any references to anything bigger than 1 gal - I probably missed it. Can you get a net pot that would accommodate a 7 or 10 gal fabric pot?

Thanks again Cannafan!

B-

Yes you can get net Pots in 7 and 10 gal...the net pot and fabric pot in the pic Canna posted are 7 gal

havent had my go with smart pots yet but I was going to on my outdoor this summer. might have to reconsider.

I used 7 gal ones for my outdoor last year and they worked great in my opinion. I had roots growing thru the bottom and into the ground. I did have to water a couple times a day on the 100+ days we had but normally I would just give one gallon every morning and they were happy. My only complaint is that I wish I had used bigger ones but this year Ill be building 3ft X 3ft raised beds for them and keeping the 7s for indoor

Has anyone using fabric pots ever had a mold/fungus problem with the bottom staying perpetually moist? I'm going to put a few inches of hydroton expanded clay in the bottom of the SmartPots to help with drainage but it seems the fabric in contact with the drain tray on the bottom would always stay wet.
Great tip on the net pot. I might go with that idea for some added rigidity.

Has anyone using fabric pots ever had a mold/fungus problem with the bottom staying perpetually moist? I'm going to put a few inches of hydroton expanded clay in the bottom of the SmartPots to help with drainage but it seems the fabric in contact with the drain tray on the bottom would always stay wet.
Great tip on the net pot. I might go with that idea for some added rigidity.

I have zero problems with mold/fungus but I keep my pots suspended off the ground so the bottom hallways dries out

Back
Top Bottom