The Mountain: Grow Support From The Over 50 Club

uptheholler

:yummy: There is more growing experience in The Over 50 Club than in most growing threads on 420 Magazine.

Other threads consistently replow the same ground; "Am I over fertilizing? Over watering? Is this a male?" :scratchinghead:

Look, dont take this wrong. I'm happy folks get to learn a lot on here :geek:
And the general attitude of the folks on the site is great :high-five:

BUT...(you knew it was coming)... :skeptical:

If you want a growing question answered from folks with a vast amount of hands-on experience, from people who are used to making stuff work well, WITHOUT a lot of money and input costs, or extra work...then The Mountain is the place to be ;)

:nomo: People from all over the site can come here, to the Mountain, to have their growing questions answered for real, by the oldest and most experienced growing folks on 420 Magazine!

If I had a growing problem with any of the crops on my farm, I asked my Dad and Grandpa and that is precisely how I view our contributions to this site. :amen:

So this is it.

The Mountain.

:Namaste:

Hi Uptheholler :ciao:

I have 2 questions for discussion.

Do you have any tips for home composting?

Does Cannabis have any companion plants that are useful in the grow room to keep bugs off, etc?

:thanks:

So does our old thread follow us here or U just gonna throw it away ?? Rico this is The Mountain !!-- If U have to grow in dirt --Yuck !! Get a commercial composted and follow the directions!! -- A companion plant ?? That's easy more pot plants !! Do we pass the test ?? Is this acceptable to the group?? Damn!! I can see my house from here !!

Corn is a great companion crop. pot will thrive with corn. But tomato's should be stayed away from. I grew with both . the corn was great. and hides the pot well. But tomato's will give the pot an acidic taste . Taste like your smoking the tomato plants. At least that's my experience. As for bugs, I use ladybugs. You can have 9000 delivered to you door for 42 dollars . When you buy at a store, you will get dead bugs. Get them delivered and they are all live.:Namaste: woops I just saw grow room. I was thinking of outdoors lol
Hi :ciao:

Does Cannabis have any companion plants that are useful in the grow room to keep bugs off, etc?

So does our old thread follow us here or U just gonna throw it away ?? Rico this is The Mountain !!-- If U have to grow in dirt --Yuck !! Get a commercial composted and follow the directions!! -- A companion plant ?? That's easy more pot plants !! Do we pass the test ?? Is this acceptable to the group?? Damn!! I can see my house from here !!

Thank you for welcoming me to the Mountain, Keef :ciao:

You could always post some links back to The Over 50 Club, if you want to :)

There is even a link toThe Over 50 Club in Uptheholler's OP.

Corn is a great companion crop. pot will thrive with corn. But tomato's should be stayed away from. I grew with both . the corn was great. and hides the pot well. But tomato's will give the pot an acidic taste . Taste like your smoking the tomato plants. At least that's my experience. As for bugs, I use ladybugs. You can have 9000 delivered to you door for 42 dollars . When you buy at a store, you will get dead bugs. Get them delivered and they are all live.:Namaste: woops I just saw grow room. I was thinking of outdoors lol

It's still very valuable information Bozzo, I may grow in the greenhouse again and I did not know that about tomatoes. I'll look into getting Ladybugs :thanks:

Didn't mean to be an ass Rico !! I grow aero under LEDs --- Knats --Dog Pecker Knats as the Hippie calls them !!-- I had always grown in dirt but I went to.war with the bastards and won !! I have absolutely no bug problem !!! I bought a aero cloner and built my own aero grow boxes -- I run a 5 month cycle harvesting a 17 spot SEA OF GREEN every month with my rotation !! Took awhile and the.end of this month will be.my first full cycle !! Had to isolate the cream of the crop females before I could begin ! Now I clone the shit out of them girls and am currently thinning my 7 mother lines down to 2-4 -- pick of the litter White Widow from as close to the breeder as I could get !!! My Widow don't lie !! Gonna cross it with a mutant landrace Indica I found to speed up finishing time without giving up any quality !! I have a.small competitive streak and when I no longer have to hide-- I plan on stepping up and just TAKE me one of them CUPS !!

DSC00680_800x532_2_.jpg
gnats are easy in dirt. put a 1/4 inch of sand on top.......no more gnats.

I'm down with my aero and LEDs now -- once U know U can't go back -- I grow in Texas over a hundred plants is a ten year sentence -- makes everything very real !! I grow a SOG rotation which puts me a wee bit over the line !! All clones !! Someone suggested I could make stems into baskets -- One such basket would get me arrested for possession in Texas !! I take a chance every time I post !! For growing a freaking plant -- I truely live in the twilight zone -- not only do I have the assorted Po-Po to worry about -- the cartels catch me growing down here and I die or grow for them !! The old silver or lead choice !! Then there's rippers should U even thing about growing outdoors with three levels of aircraft looking down! Should I get bold and provide anyone with this quality of weed and the Po-Po get wind of it !! They have a special unit to hunt it down and bust the source !! Got a head injury but I ain't stupid !! Welcome to my world !!! Did I mention the roving border patrol checkpoints ?? This Ain't Colorado !!

I am here! :thumb:

Rico, I would not use the standard instructions that come with a composter. Don't put the kitchen scraps in except for the ground up egg shells and coffee grounds. Grass clippings and weed leaves are good but not tree leaves and stems or twigs. They decompose way to slow here in Colorado. :Namaste:

Hi Uptheholler :ciao:

Ricorico: Home composting is a little more difficult than what most folks believe that it is IF the goal is to consistently get a quality product. The most common mistakes in small scale composting is maintaining a consistent moisture levels and oxygen levels in your pile to get good decomposition. The old style barrel composter is still a great tool if you are going with a small scale project.
The mix of plant material should also be a consideration. If all a person does is try to compost grass clippings then it is unlikely to produce the kind of compost that you are trying to achieve. I personally compost using a combination of manure, leaves, grass clippings,
algae from the pond, sand and peat moss. Into this mix goes sundry other items such as kitchen waste and ag lime not pelleted lime.
After that comes the hard part. That is the manual mixing. You have to keep the mix oxygenated and moist for proper decomposition to take place. I use a 3 bin system with removable walls so that I can mix and move my compost from one end to the other as it begins the process ending up at the far end with ready to spread material. Composting ain't for sissies it takes work but in many cases it's worth it

Now part 2 as far as companion plantings are concerned. There are 2 schools of thought. The first is plants that compliment each other in a synergistic manner. An example there would be if you have a shallow harder soil planting a tap rooted crop very close next to a shallow rooted tender crop in an effort to keep the soil aerated. In hot environments you may want to plant a crop that provides partial shade or even alot of leaf surface area to create a cooler environment. The second school of thought focuses on pests. Here I am more of an "identify" then trap crop kind of guy. If you have a known insect pest that you are concerned about then identify crops that it prefers, plant them in abundance then kill the pest on that crop to keep insect pest populations down. The same pertains to animals. If I am trying to protect a melon patch from coons I may plant a sweet corn variety in close proximity timing it to mature along with my melons then trap the coons out of the sweet corn patch!

Hopefully that helps you out and if I can be of further hepl I'll be just uptheholler

I am here! :thumb:

Rico, I would not use the standard instructions that come with a composter. Don't put the kitchen scraps in except for the ground up egg shells and coffee grounds. Grass clippings and weed leaves are good but not tree leaves and stems or twigs. They decompose way to slow here in Colorado. :Namaste:

If you have a problem getting leaves to decompose I add lime and aerate. It's not a cure all but it sure as heck helps. We live in the woods so i have tons of leaves every year. Layer of leaves , layer of green clippings, layer of manure, layer of lime water and repeat.
I've added kitchen scraps for years and never had any problems but in my plie it's a spit in the ocean.

hey all , im just starting out and much prefer to speak to and get advice from the wiser men with all the "years of growing experience" rather than the "months of googling experience" think my main problem is my budget although i think im doing pretty well from partsm in my shed "i am a huge hoarder i hate throwing useful items away but hey i have loads of success i find items to fit perfectly for what i need in my many boxes or tat , i have constructed a small grow cupboard im running a total of 150w cfl's 2x 2700k 2x 6400k, im and a standard household 60w bulb (purely for heat not for light its keeping a constant 24-26 degrees celcious with my fans running i am growing in my shed so sometimes it gets a bit chilli) planning on a SCROG grow just for the height restriction i have laden myself with.

i covered with tin foil on inside obviously thinking that it would reflect my lights the best i have since learned that it could have the potential to harm although my light are not hot i still here that white reflects allot better something like 90%, what are your thoughts about this and what would be recomended ? mat or glossy type although im thinking glossy ?

OK to my strain. , i have bought 10x strawberry blue from world of seeds i have place 4 in a paper towel to germinate wet but not soaking etc etc although my thoughts from the water in cup method used by many with a better success rate it obviously doesn't matter how much water you use at this stage, but that is just my thoughts for now , one has sprouted a root within 24 hours and is now happily potted, one seed has cracked open but no change in 24 hours, and the other 2 bare no change, they where all placed in paper towel 2-3 days ago. im a bit worried about the cracked one i thought it would have pushed its root out slightly by now but its nature i suppose.

Someone asked about growing a companion plant. Have grown Marigolds, along with my girls, in my grow room. Room inside is 7' x 7' x 7'. Helped with the odor. Never had bugs, with or without them. Supposed to help repel bugs though.

Marigolds are supposed to repel bugs but to me when you crush up marigold blossoms it always reminds me of the smell of the big pickles of balck hash that we used to get back in the 70's. Smells very similar

Just so you don`t get too lonely,I`m in the neighborhood, stopping by for a quick visit. So high uth, hope sunshine and gentle breezes invade the holler today. Here it`s cold (42) and rainy, no weather for man, nor beast, nor growing outdoors. My girls are passing the day`s away in their grow room. Gotta update my journal and try to get some pictures up. Peace bro.

Back
Top Bottom