Germination Frustration!

JuanCarlos

Boy I tell you, I read about germination for days upon days before the time came. I read about all the methods, watched videos on germinating and read some more.

My first try I decided to germ right in my DBHB soil. I was using some older seeds, so I wasn't too optimistic. I soaked them for about 18 hours and then popped them in cups, watered them (maybe a little too much) and under the lights they went. Fast forward 48+ hours and nothing. I waited a couple more days. Finally decided to dig them up and not one of those seeds had popped.

My next try I figure I would go the easy route and just pop my seeds in distilled water. Away I go with my little plastic cups, one seed per cup. Using tweezers, making sure not to touch the seeds. And I wait. One day, two days. Today is day three and still nothing. One of the seeds does look like a part of the seed husk has come off, but not cracked.

So I figure yesterday I would take a few seeds out of the water and stick them in Rapid Rooters to give that method a try. I have been keeping them damp, but nothing to report as of yet. Today I took another seed out of the water and tried the paper towel method.

Thinking I was maybe wrong in not pHing my water, I just went and did that. Reads right around 7.0 on my digital meter and around 6.5-7 on my liquid test kit. I am stumped. I will give these guys another week and then I might need to rethink things.

I swear I am jinxed here. Just sharing my frustration with you guys. :thanks:

I've had good success with the Rapid Rooters. Good luck, I bet you'll be great at cloning ;)

I don't soak my seeds- though I'm sure it's fine to soak them for a few hours. I just put them in a Tupperware type container on top of some damp paper towel. In a darkish spot at roughly 80 degrees C. I put the lid on loosely, or at least open once in a while to peek inside- so it's not totally stagnant air in there. But the humidity stays near 100% (I'm assuming) I don't need to add water after the initial moistening- but if I did it would be just a few drops- or a little misting. They sprout in a day or two then I plant them. If I kept them in there with the lid on and no fresh air they would eventually start to mold or rot. If they don't sprout in 3 or max 4 days they generally don't ever.
They don't need light to sprout. They shouldn't stay soaking wet- just humid and warm. Overwatering and rotting is the main killer. Your pH is fine. You're not jinxed they're probably just staying too wet. You could have bad seeds too.

agree with other posts keep them warm also and you will have better results , i started to put mine into a glass of water then have the glass sit on my hot water tank , they show tap root in 12/24 hours then i plant them in soil , 12/12 all popped and serviced this week within a couple of days in the soil :thumb:

I appreciate the help guys. I am going to try a little bit of everything and see what works best for me. I feel like I may have been keeping them a little colder than they like, going to try some warmer spots and see what happens. Going to skip the GA3 for now, I feel like I should be able to get them to pop naturally. Time will tell.

I am not a very experienced grower here but I was having a lot of problems germing the seeds in water and paper towel, but what I did this time is took clean tuper wear sprinkled a light loose layer of soil on the bottom and put the seeds (4) directly on top then sprinkled a lil bit more over the seeds watered with spoon. 2 days later carefully dumped the soil out to check the seeds and all 4 had a tape root about 1/4 th inches.
11949281_877164832391227_9090445177799480687_n.jpg

these are 2 of the at day 5 from planting

in my short experience with germining the method I used has been the fastest and the easiest.

I actually just had to transplant plant 1 to a larger container because her roots were growing out already after 5 days after planting seed..I am so excited

I totally screwed up the first two seeds I tried to germinate using the "soak in water and put in a paper towel" method. What I did differently the second time that worked:

1. I scuffed up the seeds a little with an emery board
2. I soaked them for 18 hours
3. I didn't pour all of the water into the paper towels -- just enough to dampen the towel. Side plate -- damp paper towels folded over soaked seeds - second side plate upside down on top of first. (The first time I fricken' drowned them :()
4. I put the plates under a 60 watt incandescent bulb for warmth. (The first time I gave them no extra heat -- and my kitchen was too cold)

This worked like a charm for me.

Did you ever get any started yet?
I am sure, like anything else, it takes a little bit of skill to get just right. I blame the seeds 100% as they were quite old.

You could pick yourself up an aloe plant. Aloe contains many enzymes and hormones that directly play a role in seed germination and plant cloning. When ready to germinate, cut a little leaf of aloe and place seeds directly in leaf. Leave it for 12 hrs then plant in soil. Works like a charm!! All natural too. You can even mash and soak that same chunk of aloe in some water and soak the soil with that. Excellent all natural plant enzyme. You can also pick up some all natural aloe juice from a health store, no preservatives, and dilute with water and use to water seeds in soil. Hope this helps!!!!

I have only lost one seed due to germination and im on my 5th grow. I think it was more of a genetic thing when that one seed did not pop. Here is what I do:

1) Get a prescription pill bottle and put some sand paper in there to line the walls of the pill bottle. I use #4 fine grit, make sure the sand paper part is facing in(obviously) You can also use a small matchbox and put a piece of emery board in there. Put you seeds in the pill bottle and shake it vigorously for about 20 - 30 seconds. This method is called Scuffing the seeds. The point here is to scuff the hard shell of the seed so that water can flow in easier.

2) Place seeds in a cup of water and cover it with a container so that it promotes humidity and darkness, I only soak my seeds for about 12 hours.

3) Get your medium ready about 5 - 6 hours before the 12 hour soak is up. I save medium sized coffee cups from the coffees i buy from Tim Horton's(coffee and donut shop in Canada) I poke holes in the bottom of the cups and fill the coffee cups with soil and water them, then let them sit for about 5-6 hours.

4) make a hole in the centre of the soil coffee cups about 1cm deep.

5) Remove seeds from being soaked in the water by pouring it on a paper towel.

6) Plant seeds into the soil coffee cups. Place the cups in propagation dome and put on the lights when you see the first sprout.

Generally I will see the first sprout about 2-3 days after putting the soil coffee cups in the propagation dome. I hope this helps!

I have read several people on here using the soaked paper towel that is my prefered method i have a 100% germ rate and 70% grow rate. If you feel you would like some added help use kelp extract and amino acids from NPK-RAW.
Another little trick i saw was putting them in your fridge they think its winter and they prep for germination then you put them in the damp towel and bam.

I definitely think germinating in the soil is a good method.

+1

7 out of 8 are doing very well in my grow, all tossed into roots original, watered, capped with soil, and a glass jar placed over seed, placed under LED(s), keeping her covered for about a week - 10 days. Average sprouting time for me has been as quick as 3 days and as long as 5 to 7 days. All are growing, one is a little stunted, 1/2 the seed hull didn't pop off, I had to help her get her "bonnet" off, lol. Once I learn me how to post photos, I'll let you all in on my grow, peace

greg < ) ) ) ) ) >

Take a sewing needle, scratch the rib on the seed. Add 10-15ml's hydrogen peroxide to 100ml's distilled water. Warm the water to around body temperature. Drop your scratched seed in a coffee cup and fill about half way with the water and place the cup somewhere warm and dark for 12-14 hrs. You should now have a root starting to show and your ready for the paper towel.
Works for me about 80-90 percent of the time.

Back
Top Bottom