Harvest time

Lemual Poot

Once again it's time to sit and trim buds for hours on end. It finally got too dark to do any more tonight. We start picking buds in late afternoon of hot days and usually work 'till dark. My lap, legs, and all around my feet was a pile of tiny leaves and leaf tips. I keep a bottle of isopropyl handy to clean the resin from the surgical scissors but it also helps to unsticky my hands as well. My wife doesn't use scissors though. Donna's old school she likes to scrape her fingertips with her teeth. That black sticky substance that sticks to everything sure looks like Opium but I've tried smoking it and the similarity definitely stops with looks. She swears it gives her a great buzz, but by the time she's ready to chew it off her digits, she's been smoking heavily for several hours. Trimmers always have a lit doobie making the rounds. Sure it's full of good stuff, but it's also full of chlorophyll, dirt, and human skin cells. It's harsh and it tastes terrible!

Anyhow, we went quality over quantity this year, and planted a much smaller garden that we did in the past few years. In the first few, after Colorado's amendment let us take our expensive grow bulbs and trade them for the sun, we went nuts with huge gardens. Donna's allowed six plants and my Emphysema allows me twelve, so eighteen is what we grew, and who had time to trim buds? We were so busy working on getting everything put away for darking and seasoning we barely trimmed enough buds to last us a month. The rest of it wasn't as pretty as kind bud, it didn't smell as good, but if you smoked enough of it, it sure worked as well.

Donna's always been a bit paranoid. She has plenty hidden away in the big chest freezer just in case the Republicans decide to repeal common sense but I seriously doubt if they could. So far this year, Colorado has taken in more taxes on pot than they did on alcohol, and alcohol is selling just fine. With thirty-something states embracing mmj, and the knowledge that Colorado's been in the black since pot prohibition ended here, there'll undoubtedly be more coming into the fold than leaving it. In this country, money talks the loudest and right no it's screaming, "LEGALIZE NATIONALLY!"

If Obama has any guts he'll pardon all our brothers and sisters in prison for pot. For some stupid reason presidents really believe the hype about "legacy" but they seem to forget, as soon as someone dies, their mistakes and misgivings come out and all their dirty laundry unfolds in public. I campaigned for him, I donated money to his campaign, and I even voted for him but I think he would have been a much better president a few more years down the line.

So during this harvest season as your cutting buds, pulling plants, or whatever, think of all those poor folks who haven't even smelled bud in years,. And remember, unless the coffee colored gentleman who runs this country grows some cajones, they may not smell, or taste it, ever again. Peace upon all of you!

Well before today I learned that I shouldn't write so late at night. I just read my post, and I really didn't proof it very well, if at all. Some lessons are simply more difficult to absorb than others I guess.

Back
Top Bottom