Rainy Season with Outdoor Plant

OlderStoner

I have a small plant about 14" tall growing outside. She has a gigantic single cola on her, bigger than my entire fist and I have big hands. She's about ready with maybe 25% to 30% red pistils and I have looked but don't see any amber trichomes yet. The rainy season was really supposed to be over at this calendar date but it's been raining cats and dogs for over a week now. She's still out there looking fine, a little yellowing but there's also signs of distress. The leaves have a burnt orange tinge to them which I figure was too much of the Fox Farm regime (again?). I gave her a full dose about 3 weeks ago thinking since she's outside and should be able to handle it. She did for most of the time, but the last week I started seeing those orange tinges. She also has a little bit of insect damage but nothing major. I'm excited about seeing how it turns out but I worry that she's getting drowned by all the rain. And the forecast calls for more rain most of next week.

Sounds like you are in my part of the world ... Northern California?

Keep a close eye onthe bud ... look real close for mold. Get a magnifying glass and look REAL close. If you don't know what mold looks like under a mag glass, look on line. It's a bunch of gray small lines moving in multiple directions. If you see that ... harvest NOW and look up "bud washing" here on 420 Mag and do that when you harvest.

The big thing is .. I believe, that it not get warm while it's wet. If the bud gets real soaked, and THEN it gets sunny and 70 degrees or more ... it's almost a sure thing .. you 'll get mold. Once it starts clearing, hope that there is a brisk breeze to dry it. If there isn't a breeze, set up a fan and dry that bud out. I remember spending all day walking thru a field of over 100 Blue Dreams with a leaf blower hooked up to a generator, drying cola's. We ended up with a few moldy ones, but not very many.

I have gotten large crops through some pretty inclement weather.

Much of it depends on the individual strain, or plant and her ability to resist mold. Another good reason that I only grow old school genetics ... stronger and more resiliant than these new hybrids.

~ Auggie ~

Thanks Auggie,

The rain is supposed to let up tomorrow. I have looked closely with my 30X loupe and no signs of mold are present. There will be nice sunshine the rest of the week...or that's the forecast. The number of red hairs is increasing. I will give it until this weekend and then make a decision on whether to cut it down. And no, I live in South Florida. Always heard of the infamous grows that happen in your area and would love to one day travel there and see some of it.

the sun coming out is a BAD thing. Shake those big cola's ... grab ahold of em and give them a good hard shake, get as much of the water out of them as you can. Then set up a fan, or better yet get a leaf blower and get air moving around them.

At this poinit - a lot of it depends on the phenotype of the plant you have - just how resistive to disease she is.

Good luck.
`
~ Auggie ~

the sun coming out is a BAD thing. Shake those big cola's ... grab ahold of em and give them a good hard shake, get as much of the water out of them as you can. Then set up a fan, or better yet get a leaf blower and get air moving around them.

At this poinit - a lot of it depends on the phenotype of the plant you have - just how resistive to disease she is.

Good luck.
`
~ Auggie ~

I'm curious about the "phenotype". This plant came from a seed which I can track back like so:
The original mother plant was a "Cotton Candy" and wow did it produce some frosty buds which produced a very instant and intense head rush. What I call "one puff stuff". I pollinated her with a White Widow X male. The seeds I got from that produced a male that was very studly, beautiful symmetry, close node spacing and just one of the nicest looking plants I've ever seen. I took pollen from him and pollinated a Strawberry Blue mother plant which also produced some top drawer buds. This I have now plant came from a seed from this last pollination.

I cloned this plant several times and the ones that were grown indoors produced some nice smoke. One of the clones which I took my time with really produced some more of that one puff stuff, but it's not as intense a rush as I like. I actually had this clone (the one outside) for a friend but he never came around to pick it up so I stuck it in the ground and let it take off. If all goes well I'm going to cut her down this weekend and let it dry and cure properly. I''ll let you know how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom