My fan just passed a stone!

Yep... you learn something every day.

I have a couple of those 6" Vortex fans... sturdy things... I love them. Well, the one pulling air through my carbon filter started making some noise the other day... an ugly noise. Something was not right.

The noise over the next few days got louder and louder. At first it was only able to be heard if one stuck their head in the tent when it was running, but eventually it was also clear from outside of the tent... that fan was failing. Something was out of balance or had changed somehow, and it was just a matter of time before it either ripped itself apart of seized up, burning out the motor. I was simply waiting now, and instructed my housemate to listen carefully for the impending disaster, surely due any day.

So today I was in the tent, up-potting my little coven of 13 plants, listening to the noise the fan was making, when all of a sudden there was a different noise, and then a tink, rata tat tat as something cleared the fan and was pushed down the ducting and out of the tent. The noise was gone!

My best theory is that a chunk of charcoal from the filter became airborne, and got stuck in the fan. It took days, but eventually that workhorse of a turbine, my Vortex Fan with its 10 year warranty, cleared that stone. Quality equipment is where it is at!

Back
Top Bottom