First time grower - Took 4 years but finally doing it!

ChronicPDX

So after years of watching and helping other people through their crops, seeing all their work and dedication coming to fruition, now I finally get to experience it all. I ended up in this position by accident trying to help my own medical grower by vegging his plants for him in prep for being moved to one of his flower rooms. But due to a number of limiting factors on both ends, he decided to gift me with pretty much all the stuff I need to grow for my husband and myself. After a couple weeks of crazy running around and slapping stuff together, taking it apart and redoing it all over, we got the ladies moved in. After giving them a week of veg under 2 1000 watt MH lamps they were switched to 12/12 . I still have them under MH but will be switching those out for HPS on the 7th. Only thing I don't like about 12/12 is I can't be in there with them doing other thing (like making this post) until the lights come back on. I could literally sit in there all day and be perfectly happy.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. Like I said, this is my first solo grow so any advice is always welcome. I am growing in a 9.6' x 4.9' x 7' tent, 2k watt of lighting, 3 gal pots with coco, Jack's nutrients, SCROG method (a little crazy, but hey...), and there are 6 lovely ladies. Tonight when the lights come on I'll take some new photos. The issues I am dealing with are powdery mildew, spider mites, and root aphids in case anyone wants to chime in there. I did start a journal for this grow, but the responses seemed to have died off. Cheers to you all and happy growing!

Images are from a couple days before flip.

CCK_8062.JPG
20161228_005739.jpg

Hi, I posted a more thorough answer earlier but it didn't post.
In a nutshell, you have a nice set up there, but I'd be a bt worried about the 'invaders'. I had spider mites yself for a while, and they are a (insert curse of choice) to deal with. As a preventative measure, I keep a rosemary plant in my tent.
But you need to hit those feckers hard or they will rob your plants of their vitality, you of yield, and sanity.
To clean up from spider mites, your tent and outside room should have the cleanliness standards of a dentists lab. I read that somewhere, and upped my cleanliness game. Any dead leaves etc you remove from the plant , put them in a ziploc bag.
As for products to hit them with- and the gnats & mildew, I hope you get a few reccs from people.
I used a few things, Plant Vitality Plus got rid of them in the end, but I was in veg. Mighty wash is good too, but as you re in flower, I'd see what others have to say.
I now treat my tent like a lab. I tie my hair back and change into a clean shirt if I have been out or around a pet that goes out if I even need to open it.
Btw- mites hate humidity and they don't care for cold much either. Although upping humidity with PM etc might not be good.
Other products I've seen recommended are Forbid & Avid for mites.
I hope you get on top of the issues facing you, nothing worse than constantly 'chasing a grow'.
I hope some others can offer some info on your other uninvited guests. And I hope you eliminate the feckers and get to enjoy your grow!
Good Luck! :thumb:

Hi sorry your journal died off. Problem is without comments it will drop to the bottom of the threads page.

Im mostly a coco grower with a lot of experience. Your set up looks clean and good. Nice light source, one thing so many new growers neglect.

So you def have some issues. Im not sure what products you have available for pest treatment but the only product ive ever used that eradicates mites is a product called killermite. Mites are notoriously difficult to treat. You need to get on top of that or you will def have issues down the line.

I have never had aphids of pm so im not the best person to advise there.

Check out my journals for pro tips on coco growing. They are all in my sig.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Hello. .
Powdery mildew can only be controlled, not eliminated, unless you want to use some pretty hardcore chemical intervention. (What you'd do, is treat your mother plants to eradicate the PM, & only control the PM in your 12/12 area until you can harvest.) PM is insidious and will ruin a room of buds in a couple of days. I don't advocate for napalm-esque solutions, but I prefer educated eradication to control whenever possible. Spider mites, everyone has different solutions for, but in my experience very few things eradicate, they only control-and again, the solutions that eradicate can be controversial, especially to tree hugging hippies .

Just wanted to leave a quick comment and to say hello . I'm the local newbie . I'm new here, as I am to growing . I'm looking forward to seeing how your girls turn out ! Good luck and hope to see you around

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Back
Top Bottom