Growing knowledge

pufpufpas

I think I'm in the right place. Duh! obviously 420 magazine is the right place! What I'm trying to say is I hope this is a place I can journal learning experience I have found and shared around the site. I'm not growing but my knowledge is and my passion of growing continues to produce!
Anyhow I will start by saying it is also a way for me to reach like minded individuals, ones that maybe have social anxiety and don't get out. I have been reading here over two years time and I continually become mind blown! I have spent time helping on a few big grow in person years ago. (around y2k) for them that remember. It has never left my blood, and through the years I have dabbled but never taken things that seriously.
I have gained immeasurable knowledge and forgotten more than I should have. Maybe this will be the place to store some of that wealth.
The actual endless possibilities of this medication and the safety of it make me want to devote more of my life to it. I'll be back but feel free to chime in. I know there are other newbs out there trying to reach 50 post.
Or maybe others like me who tend to read everything including excessive rambling.

mag
do you put your soil in the oven? cooking soil. ..

So seriously when I started reading here I thought cooking soil was putting it in the oven. Obviously after learning the requirements of site navigational skills. (that's another chapter) I am truly beginning to indulge upon this information in the easiest of terms. I'm not a complicated man. Much like my plants when I'm healthy feed me! When I'm not feeling good leave me alone! Anyhow. oh yeah please share what you use and how you cook your soils.
I like to use 20% perlite
20% mushroom
20% manure
10% spg. peatmoss
30% organic pot soil
Keep in mind this is only a baseline. What is actively growing is recycled and has many additional ingredients. So I prepare everything by washing all of them down doing a good flush and checking PH of each. I will check again at different times throughout the cook much like you would check the PH of any plant. There are several methods to checking PH, I simply use drops. Anyhow after all products are rinsed I prepare them either in a clean tote bin or a wheelbarrow. I keep the soil wet for 1 month no turning then start to water with mixing and generally turning as you would a good compost. l have found the mix to be a bit hot or strong at this age I believe because of the manure and mushroom. So I have found better results after at least 6 months. What else y'all gonna do stare at your plants, listening the humming, wondering where that good jar went. Hope y'all didn't fall asleep yet.
What y'all got cooking?

Hiya, i'll talk back-building. By some delightful accident I read the thread on it whilst in week 3 or 4 of flower. I have a regular 'christmas tree' plant with a dominant cola, and about 14 other colas. I nipped off the top tip of 9 of them, leaving the others to see if there was much, if any, difference. Within 2 weeks there was a noticable difference in the shape and density and thickness of the back-built buds.
You know the way natural cannabis plants have double branches in the lower colas, (like candleabras) and the bud on each opposing branch is pretty uniform in size etc? I would say the bb buds have 1/3 more density and weight than their opposing 'left alone' bud.
That and bud washing are 2 excellent techniques i have learnt here. Now to find out what high brix is all about :)
Are you not in a situation where you can grow?

Dobbi, thanks for chiming in. Yes unfortunately not able to grow at this time. I have in the past. I have been using this back build thing since the early 2000s. The only prob I ever had was slight foxtailing however it could have been from high temperature. I think the method is tried and true and When I grow again you better believe I will be waiting to tip the tops! only thing I had a problem with was a few longer flower times on the sensitive strains. Who wouldn't wait a week or two to add an extra 30% yield.
So experimenting I have seen an early and late and just a late BB. Couldn't say which was better. The look was better on the once BB later in flower. The two toppings seemed to slow the maturation down but the density was increased. we ran that mama plant for about 4 years. Ran grafts and dabbled in breeding. It's in my soul now. I will have to grow on through the journals for now. Just glad to see people do this.
I used to think it was an insider's trick. well I'm off for some rest this old body ain't what it once was.

I like tea, and so do my plants. on a dandelion kick lately.
Someone asked me once if I used essential oils. They listened on how I used them around the house and in the garden. After what seemed like forever, I finally realized they meant if I used them for my health. I have to say wow! Now after taking them I can't see any reason not too. I always knew they were good for things and now the garden and myself use essential oils. I'm looking for a less expensive hemp oil that is efficient with anti-depression effects. hopefully soon!

So if y'all were wondering. My last attempt went awesome up until the second week of flower. My cheap LED panel went out on me. It was a shame. It ran for less than a year. Bought it off an old friend. Haven't told him yet. Finished them out under some small cfl they were great! I was expecting even better. So I closed up the lab and dug in deep here reading all the grow journals. Like seriously almost everyone. I have not read any journal when I did not learn. The value in each journal is unique and a real treasure. Having this is like being able to grow in alternate dimensions. Ever wondered if this or that techinc would work? Just pop on over to this journal or that journal and boom! You can see documentation of results in real time. So for now I guess I'll save my loose change for a few decades until I can get that future LED fixture. Well I consider being here school so I back to taking notes. See y'all in class.

Sorry dude I was harvesting yesterday and didn't have a minute. I had mites in veg and foliared with haberno pepper spray, plant vitality plus (it smells like death), and mighty wash. They looked brighter and cleaner after their dunks, it's something I will never not do again. Have a look on the thread. They sent washed v unwashed to the lab, 0.1% of a difference in thc content.

Sent from my happy grow room.

Yeah the pesky old mites. Would you give more thought about the pepper spray? I use very little to fight pests but I'm looking to add a few things. I do not have a pepper spray yet! Now the question homemade yup. Must hit the libraries tonight. I'm sure someone's got something on this.
And as far as the budwash, Guess you could say I sprayed a few outdoor girls down really well the day before chop. Can I get a partial credit? Thanks for chiming in!

Back
Top Bottom