No more bashing Miracle Grow

The Germinator

Miracle-Gro Breaks Into The Cannabis Industry With Black Magic

If you watched this year's NBA playoffs - as many, many millions of Americans did - you might've seen a 30-second spot for a performance hydroponics company called Black Magic.

The spot - entitled "Growers" - praises the "perfection-seeking" tendencies of green-thumbs who operate "under the cover of darkness," represented by a range of attractive, plaid-and-hoodie clad, Doc-Marten-wearing actors tending plants under glowing purple LEDs. A voiceover intones:

Growers can be found everywhere. Below buildings and on top of dive bars under the cover of darkness is what they seek. Their attention to detail and pursuit of perfection would drive uninitiated people into madness. Black Magic products are rich and dark, capable of performing beyond conventional levels. Users of Black Magic products may improve the quality of what they grow with suggested usage and care.

Wow. A home-growing ad during the NBA playoffs? Where did this come from? Black Magic, as it turns out, is a subsidiary of Scott's Miracle-Gro: yes: that Miracle-Gro, the garden and lawn-care giant founded in 1868 in Marysville, Ohio, and now a multinational company with offices and research facilities all over the world.

According to Forbes, Scott's Miracle-Gro CEO Jim Hagedorn has invested hundreds of millions of dollars in marijuana-business: $135-million last year on two California-based businesses that sell fertilizers, soils and accessories to pot growers; $120-million on a still-undisclosed lighting and hydroponics equipment company in Amsterdam; and a promised investment of another $150-million by the end of the year.

"It is the biggest thing I've ever seen in lawn and garden," Hagedorn told Forbes.

"I came back [to the office], and I told everyone 'We're doing it,' " Hagedorn said. " If you don't like it, leave. We're doing it. It's beyond stopping. And we're not getting into pot growing. We're talking dirt, fertilizer, pesticides, growing systems, lights. You know it's a multibillion-dollar business, and we've got no growth in our core. Are you guys stupid?"

The company launched its new line of hydroponics equipment in 141 Home Depot stores across Colorado, Washington and Michigan - and it's big money, especially compared with regular garden and lawn care biz. The green-and-black branded bags of peat and coco coir blended soils retail for about $16 from Home Depot, versus the $8 price-tag of Miracle-Gro's standard-issue organic garden soil.

Given the edgy, controversial reputation of Miracle-Gro CEO Jim Hagedorn, the gardening giant's decision to cash in on the cannabis industry's, ahem, rapid growth comes as little surprise. One thing is becoming rapidly apparent: at-home, small-to-medium-scale growing operations aren't going to stay "under the cover of darkness" for much longer - and the days when home gardening was strictly for botany geeks are coming to a close.

Source: Civilised
Author: Julia Wright

Miracle grow is owned by Scott's

Scott's is a horrible company, convicted many times in US courts for careless and fraudulent activities related to their labelling and handling of the many toxic products they manufacture.

Scott's is owned by a company called Monsanto.

Miracle grow is owned by Scott's

Scott's is a horrible company, convicted many times in US courts for careless and fraudulent activities related to their labelling and handling of the many toxic products they manufacture.

Scott's is owned by a company called Monsanto.

So we're judging nutes by their owners? Advanced nutes owner was charged with child rape. Guess the nute line is no good?
What they've done has nothing to do with product. Black magic potting soils ingredients are great. I am not boycotting any company because their owner did something bad.
Did you even look at the ingredients? Research black magic at all? Read up on the business deal that went down?

So we're judging nutes by their owners?

Nope. I'm not judging the nutes. I'm judging the manufacturers for their actions as a company. Actions which make child rape look benign by comparison. It's slightly off the topic of your original post commanding us not to bash MG. You'll just have to live with that I guess.

Did you even look at the ingredients? Research black magic at all? Read up on the business deal that went down?

Nope. I couldn't care less. I'm not giving my money to killers like Monsanto. That's my point.

I am not boycotting any company because their owner did something bad.

I am. Have a nice day.

I don't research the owners of every company I employ in my home and business. The ones I have researched are all a little sketchy in some area. I was told once, "Watch your pennies and your dollars will take care of themselves". I'm 52y/o, I've grown longer than many of you have been alive. So have friends of mine, indoor and outdoor. Mir Grow is as good as any other thing on the shelf. It's inexpensive and accessible by all. Like all things, it must be used responsibly and carefully. Amendments are needed, it's not a cure all. So, pay your hundreds and thousands of dollars on "Premium Nutrients". Let some dipshit make you pay 1000 times more for their "special" NPK. Then get on your knees and pray you don't get fooled again.

Bayer and Monsanto (aka: Miracle Grow Owners)

They want to make a monopoly of the cannabis market and as Bayer being a phamacutical company wants to make money from cannabis now, but were always against cannabis treatments so they can sell us all the dangerous pills for billions of dollars.

I for one will be boycotting anything from these companies and i urge all to do the samething.

Bayer Takes over Monsanto::::

Bayer to Buy Monsanto Creating World's Largest Seed and Pesticide Company

Bayer and Monsanto Merger will steal cannabis industry and change seed genetics.

Bayer Monsanto Merger Will Steal The Marijuana Industry - Your News Wire

Boycott these guys....

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

I'm really tired of all the anti-GMO, anti-coprorate misinformation online and circulating among pot growers now days. Blog sites and alternative news sources aren't great places for information. I'm still waiting for evidence that Monsato are soul-sucking evil corporate witches and that GMOs are here to enslave humanity. All that sentiment has permeated into the cannabis-growing social niche and I think it's regressive.

To each their own. But good luck calling up scotts miracle grow for help with your cannabis plants. Grown legally or not they won't help you. I'll stick to what works and what's always been made specifically for the plant we love. But like I said, to each their own.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I wondering who owns general hydroponics these days seems I read somewhere someone bought them out???

Scotts now owns:
Botanicare for $40M
General Hydropoinics for $135M
Owns 75% of Gavita through a subsidary company "Hawthorne Gardening Co" for $125M
Owns 80% of Aero Grow
Oso Technologies (soil meter company)
Blossom (smart watering controller)
Black Magic (developed by a scientist at GH)

Scotts isn't owned by Monsanto but has a long term exclusive marketing and branding agreement with Monsanto for Round up and Ortho products.

Bayer also has a marketing agreement with GW Pharmaceuticals who is the manufacture of Sativex and in trials with another cannabinoid based drug called Epidiolex.

When you look just at GWPH.. you will see investors like Bank of America, Fidelity, Prudential, Morgan Stanley, Blackrock, Duetsche Bank...

The big 1%'s are already investing..

Its sad to see but our industry is going corporate... GMO weed is already happening...... protect your genetics and seeds! Support small businesses and companies. These coporations can care less about marijuana, they just want the money.. .and when money becomes the main focus of anything, quality always goes down, immoral things happen, and pretty much never is a good scenario...

Back
Top Bottom