300w Mars Hydro Led Discussion

Gold Widow

I just purchased this light and I'm wondering what are the capabilities of this light as well as the limitations will I be able to flower in this light

Sent from my SPH-L720T using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You can definitely flower under it, I've got a load flowering just now and doing pretty well. As for limitations, they rate it as covering 2x2 feet in veg and 1.5x1.5 in flower so I will be adding a smaller UFO when I have money as I'm in a 2x2 but I'd say that's personal preference (and greed for phat budz lol) coz they're doing just great as they are with a reduction in stretch over cfl so far and a tighter internode length on strains I've run under cfl before.
I've also used a cfl to supplement in a past grow (250w) but that was overkill really and you can definitely flower tight buds with just the one mars 300

BTW, if you want to scope my plants I've got a photo from a few days back that shows them, its in my gallery. I'd post it here but I'm still learning the app and the site - this is actually my first post although not my first rodeo if you catch me drift .

Peace

J Budman

Sent from my FP1U using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I have 3 Mars 300 in a 2x4x5 cab and they work great. There are better LEDs out there but for the money, I think they are well worth it. That being said, penetration is not the strongest...I got mine within 8" of the very top of one of my last plants with a little bleaching. mainly because I ran out of room. I plan on replacing one of them with a 600 to see how much difference it makes.

I bought the Mars300 as my 'starter' lamp as well. I just started a grow journal. It arrived this past Monday so it isn't like I have a lot of experience with it but I for sure am happy with my purchase. It's a great deal and I did a ton of research before deciding on this lamp. Definitely the best bang for a beginner's buck. I was going to purchase a second come next paycheck because yes one mars 300 will work for both veg and flower and I might be able to fit three small flowering plants underneath but I just have the feeling it won't be enough. After researching though, I decided instead to supplement with CFLs... but this is my very first grow so please don't take my word for it.

This was the opinion I came to after reading through countless grow journals. I have seen a lot of successful LED+CFL combos grows. Some even credit CFL use in conjunction with LED's as the perfect performance pair. So I ordered TWO 150 watt cfl's online. I didn't buy 'grow' specific cfls. They are photography bulbs that I found online...an amazing deal from China. I am of the opinion that a lot of CFL manufacturers will put the word 'grow' or 'agro' in front of their high watt CFLs because they can hike the price up x5. Granted I will have to wait a month for my bulbs to make it to me from China so in the meantime the largest watt cfl I could find locally were 30w and those will be helping my mars 300 along during veg as well. They also give me something to work with while I make my own reflectors. The bulbs coming are much longer but still E27's.

Who knows... I may change my mind after the CFLs arrive and end up buying another Mars but the truth is at the price I am getting the Chinese cfl's at... no harm no foul. I don't know what the deal is with sourcing on these forums as I am new here or I would link where I found them because when I say cheap I mean cheap and no they are not "150 Watt equivalent" they are in fact 150 watt CFL's. The TWO of them cost me about 15 euro all together with shipping included. CRAZY right? I can not attest to their quality but they have over 30 positive reviews and some reviewers even said they were using them as their grow lamp so... If they do work well I will be shouting it from the rooftops no doubt though :)

Back to your discussion. The Mars is a great lamp to start with but in my opinion will need to supplemented unless you are seriously just sticking to 1-2 plants.

Just my thoughts.

xxKitty

I use the 300w ( true 175w) old style of Mars panels with the the 3w chips and they work great for veg and flower.

The first time I used three of them in a 2x4 space and grew about 13 Oz of Bud

But I think 1/2 lb per light is possible at least with the old style of panels if you had enough space and moved it around the plant on a 6 or 4 hour schedule

Just installed a new Mars 600 in my main grow cab replacing a 300 Mars that will be going in my new nursery/seed run cabinet. I noticed a film or residue on the inside of the glass of the 300. I removed the 6 screws holding the case on, removed that and the 4 more small screw holding what I believe is the heat sink(?), removed that and was able to access the glass for cleaning. Wiped right off with a cloth, maybe residue from humidifier. Anyway I noticed that the other 2 had a film as well and will be cleaning those today. Don't know how much this affected the light intensity but clean glass can't hurt! Just a little FYI! :smokin:

I have noticed the reflection of the leds on the glass can make it look hazy in my case its been glare not film.

Yesterday a 300W 60x 5w panel arrived on the doorstep with it I noticed the glass glare when viewed from a angle when viewed head on it was clear.

I mentioned last post that I use the older version of the old style panels with 100x 3w chips , they are rated @ 185w and draw 175w

Compared to the newer old styles 300w panel that just arrived is 6 inches shorter in length and rated @ 140w with the panel i received consuming 118w

118w + 50% = 177w

or

175w - 30% = 122.5w

So the new 300w old style panels are about 70% as powerful as the old old style

Another way to look at is for power savings or a larger footprint

6 new old style panels consume about 720w

4 old old style consume about 700w

Back
Top Bottom