Germination

jeffmika

Hi how do you manage to keep your seeds wet in the paper towel over night. I tried waking up at 3 to give a quick spray but still dry in the am. I also work 12 hr shifts any tricks or suggestions mine dried out 2 times the survived the first I'm not sure about the second. The sprout seems to have withered a bit ill show some pics not great but you can kinda see any help would be great.
20170220_123953.jpg
20170220_123932.jpg

Can I ask why you're not simply planting into soil? Germination techniques like this aren't exactly necessary.

Many people just don't know how to plant seeds correctly and plant too deep. Plant them twice as deep as the seed is wide, soak, and then let it do its thing.

Sometimes I roll my seeds around in some sand paper to scuff them up a little. The theory is this lets them get moister faster. It seems to have increased my germination rate to 100%.

I germ I fold the paper towel over put it in between 2 plates
stays wet
once the tap roots about 1/2 to 3/4 inch I throw it in a rooting plug
I keep that damp until theres a sprout then into soil or hydro it goes

I have to agree with placing the seed directly into the soil. Never thought about scratching them a little bit, though. Of course... I haven't germinated even one seed yet. However, upon reading a lot of posts here, placing it directly in the soil seems to make the most sense to me. Since I am blind, it makes it that much easier for me as well. Thanks for the tip on scratching up the seed a little bit. :thumb:
Happy growing and God bless everyone!

do not mess with a dragon,
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Truth be told you can do it what ever way you like. I've done cotton, paper towel and soil, only failures have been dodgy old seed, but 95% sprouts. Quickest rates have been soaking for 24 hrs then into cotton.

Can I ask why you're not simply planting into soil? Germination techniques like this aren't exactly necessary.

Many people just don't know how to plant seeds correctly and plant too deep. Plant them twice as deep as the seed is wide, soak, and then let it do its thing.

Sometimes I roll my seeds around in some sand paper to scuff them up a little. The theory is this lets them get moister faster. It seems to have increased my germination rate to 100%.
I soak my seeds in a water bottle overnight then crack them open where the taproot pops and place a few drops of water inside. Of course all the water won't stay in the seed but the point is to get some moisture inside the outer shell. I've had a 100% success rate in store bought organic seed starter mix and compostable seed starter cups.

Sent from my SM-G935P using 420

Back
Top Bottom