Confessions Of A Pirate Pot Grower

Harry Lyme

Does anybody do this anymore? Planting on ground that maybe doesn't exactly belong to you? I've done it many times with mixed success. I was just wondering...I haven't done it for a few years but i'm sort of getting the itch...

Mary jew anna is a weed that's why they call it "weed". It will grow almost any place with sun and fair dirt. It doesnt need a lot of fertilizer. I have grown decent pirate plants with no fertilizer and no carrying water in a good year of average rain. You might have to do a little weeding in early June, then you sit back and watch the corn grow. You either got a plant in September or you don't. But you don't have any money in it and you don't have any hassle...and very little actual work.....more on my growing.....''

You're not going to do this in the middle of town, you have to be on the edge of town. There are places, you just have to spy them out. Be an early morning jogger with a tile spade, i'm talking first light. Nobody pays any attention to early joggers. I've never planted seedlings but that would give you more chance of success; i'm thinking of doing that this year, because here it is almost Spring here in the Midwest US...'';

Say you live on the edge of town like me. Do a little driving around looking for say property for sale that has been on the market for a while; abandoned small properties that nobody takes care of. I've been doing a little scouting around my general area and i see several likely places where nobody would notice a few extra weeds growing. I used to have good luck planting on the edges of small farm fields but with the advent of Round-up that's out because that spray will drift and kill everything. EFF Monsanto....

My old Dad bought a hobby farm down in North East Missouri of about 112 acres. All hills and hollows, streams, small fields and pastures. This place was so remote you had to go thru another old guy's farm to get into it. I was able to grow some good crops there, but sometimes they did get mowed off. I don't know if this was done intensionally by old Dad or not... It was a cat and mouse game, we never spoke of it...

Planting near water is a good thing in case of a dry spell in the summer. You don't want to be lugging water too far and this also destroys the security of your grow. One of my favorite spots was below the dam of a small lake Old Dad had made. This was all grown up in Horse weeds and brambles... Poifect... From the top of the dam to my patch was about a diff of about 30 ft. elevation, so i was able to use a hundred ft. of garden hose to siphon water out of the lake onto my patch in the summer if it needed it which it usually did at least once in summer because N.E Missouri is and always has been subject to drought, that's why land is fairly cheap.... The lake is still there and my old patch, but now i live 160 mi. away so it's kinda outa range for me economically with the price of gas..... I miss it tho.. I could make a small plantation down there, but there's no electricity thus no a/c so i would die of the heat, it's one of the hottest muggiest places on earth...

About Trespassing: Where i live, if there's no sign up warning "No Tresspassing" then you're not actually trespassing, this is in the Midwest US. If you haven't been warned off by signs or by verbal warning then you're not actually trespassing. It's a fine line. I own property and i've had strangers walk thru hunting mushrooms or whatever in the Spring and you let'em go thru because i don't have signs up and you don't want to make a fuss. It is sort of the natural right of the peasantry.... Unless you have good fences and good signs expect interlopers.

I have lived in the city for the past ten yrs. but recently moved to the hinterlands. In just a little driving about, i have spotted miriad places where a small plot might be possible. Don't want to grow on my own property, it's just not feasible. too risky...These indoor grows are way too expensive and then there's always the worry the Man might show up...and all the hassle that might entail... The natural sun is the best light, why not use it?... Ive recently spyed out a great tract near me owned by a large Corporation, all woods and ravines all fenced in to keep out pirates like me...Nyuk Nyuk

The more i look at this Corp. tract which is a couple hundred acres, the better it looks. They got it fenced off so good it will keep out four-wheelers and dirtbikes and those knuckleheaded kids who might intrude on your patch. They got signs about every 50 ft. very serious looking.KEEP OUT..... Poifect.... There's also a nice little stream running right thru the middle of it. It looks good...I might make three or four little patches in here... A patch here, a patch there. I'm not a commercial grower i'm just in it for the fun....

This broken down old farm that ole Dad bought was down in a little valley surrounded by hills In the Spring, about the first of May there would be so many songbirds in the trees it would be almost deafening..... Warblers, Baltimore Orioles, swallows Kingfishers,Whip-por-wills at night, three kinds, so loud you'de have to chase them away to get any sleep..

Old Dad can't figure out why there ain't any songbirds anymore. it's the Round-Up, same as Agent Orange defoliant; it;s killing everything. Birds, toads, frogs, everything, fish in the streams.....

Back
Top Bottom