Temperature or humidity - What is more important to control?

red420

I have a 27"X27"X63" grow tent with (2) 300 watt MarsHydro LED grow lights and a 6 inch inline fan and filter along with 2 clip-on fans. I use an Ink-bird IHC-230 temperature/humidity controllers to control my fan and my fan is my only means of temperature control. The problem I am having is that If I want to keep the temperature in the low 80's then my humidity will drop down into the mid to high 20% range. If I let the humidity go to a range of 40% to 60% then my temperature will rise into the low to mid 90's. So what is more important... my temperature or my humidity level?

Re: Temperature or Humidity, What is more important to control?

Temperature and humidity go hand-in-hand if the humidity you're not paying attention to your heirs draw which makes it hard for your roots to pick up nutrients if your temperature is ok in your humidity is normally way huh very seldom is it low with it being high you have to worry about mold insects and other things like that blooming you want 40 to 50% humidity and you want the temperature as close as you can to 76 degrees you can control your humidity as easy as a small cup of water inside your grow space you can go to Walmart and get a thermometer and humidity in one for like $2

let me ask this another way. During lights on I use the thermostat portion of my controller. I have it set to turn the fan on at 84 degrees and shut off at 80 degrees. The fan has a difficult time getting the temperature much lower then that and runs excessively long and pulls the humidity down to near 30% when the fan is on. Do you think I should allow the temperature to range higher, say 86 to 90 degrees and see if I get higher humidity levels on average. No matter what I do the humidity will drop when the fan is on and it always drops much faster than the temperature does.

let me ask this another way. During lights on I use the thermostat portion of my controller. I have it set to turn the fan on at 84 degrees and shut off at 80 degrees. The fan has a difficult time getting the temperature much lower then that and runs excessively long and pulls the humidity down to near 30% when the fan is on. Do you think I should allow the temperature to range higher, say 86 to 90 degrees and see if I get higher humidity levels on average. No matter what I do the humidity will drop when the fan is on and it always drops much faster than the temperature does.
What ya should do is get a Bowl Of Water maybe the size of 1 gallon bowls and fill it 1/4 with water and put a towel in it hanging half in and half out...

Put this in the grow area as it will raise the humidity.. start slow with this method so ya know how much water to use as if ya need more add more water.

Then also keep temps to a good temp with your fan or fans.

Or buy a small Humidifier..

Drop your thermostat to degrees the filter is going to have to work harder to keep up but it's going to like your plans to stay cooler the hotter the air the dryer the air and for humidity wise putting a cup of water in there where it can't be hit by the Light will bring your temperature down and bring your humidity up when your lights are all it's going to take long enough for their to adjust temperature wise it will have no effect on the plants but you were heat Zone will cool down by holding the moisture in the air take your circulating air and move the top hot air don't allow the hot air to blow on to the plants it dries the oil out of the leaves anything else just ask

Drop your thermostat to degrees the filter is going to have to work harder to keep up but it's going to like your plans to stay cooler the hotter the air the dryer the air and for humidity wise putting a cup of water in there where it can't be hit by the Light will bring your temperature down and bring your humidity up when your lights are all it's going to take long enough for their to adjust temperature wise it will have no effect on the plants but you were heat Zone will cool down by holding the moisture in the air take your circulating air and move the top hot air don't allow the hot air to blow on to the plants it dries the oil out of the leaves anything else just ask

Thanks,Imhigh85. I'm going to lower the thermostat the 2 degrees. New setting is 78 to 82 now.

Regarding the humidity. I have a large bowl with a gallon of water in it plus 2.5 gallons of water in 1/2 gal. containers. see my current journal post pictures. The humidity is still staying in the upper 20% to lower 30% range. I wish I could get it higher when the lights are on.

I had this same issue. I'm in the basement so heat isn't too much of an issue. However, I was having humidity issues especially in the dead of winter. I bought a little humidifier off ebay that uses a regular drinking water bottle and has a dial control. I think it was $15 or so. My temp stays around 77-79 and humidity between 46-49%. (I have a schnauzer and greyhound that for the most part respect the boundaries of the grow area but I couldn't do the water bowl humidity trick because it would be an invitation for mayhem).

The simple answer to your question is Temperature.

I have very poor humidity levels, which are always on the low side. I have a 32" x 32" x 60" tent and continually run my 6" inline fan for purposes of fresh air and keeping temps down. I've tried everything from water bowls to humidifiers, but nothing helps due to the continual air circulation. My humidity is very low in winter at about 24%. The plants may not flourish as they would in perfect conditions, but they still grow very acceptably without any noticeable issues.

The simple answer to your question is Temperature.

I have very poor humidity levels, which are always on the low side. I have a 32" x 32" x 60" tent and continually run my 6" inline fan for purposes of fresh air and keeping temps down. I've tried everything from water bowls to humidifiers, but nothing helps due to the continual air circulation. My humidity is very low in winter at about 24%. The plants may not flourish as they would in perfect conditions, but they still grow very acceptably without any noticeable issues.

Thanks for the helpful and straight up advice man. Much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom