To Fox Farm Ocean Forest or not to Fox Farm Ocean Forest

Guys I am like a newborn here and would love some advice from experienced gardeners. I am getting ready to try my hand with a couple potted plants on my patio. Right now I am in the "planning" stages, getting my act together. I have been doing much reading but I will never be one of those know it all people. So I have a few questions.

From everything I read about growing mediums Fox Farm Ocean Forest always got rave reviews, that is until recently when reports started popping about bug infestations in their product. So that kind of worries me. Another product, also made by Fox Farm is Happy Frog which seems to get a lot of favorable comments.

What do ya'll think? Is the Fox Farm bug scare just a scare or is it something to really worry about?

Finally, I need to balance the PH of my water to feed the plants. My budget is VERY TIGHT so would a drop test be the best way to go for me? I appreciate each and every one of you in advance for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

OH I almost forgot. Perlite........about 30% of your medium should be perlite?

I'm also new here and I think I can help with a couple questions.

I had one plant in veg that turned male and I had it growing in FF Happy Frog. Seemed to love it. I only developed a slight nitro deficiency after 9-10 weeks but I was also using Neptunes Harvest with blood meal. I've never heard of the bug scare so I can't help you there.

As far as ph, the drops will work but I would highly recommend a ph pen. The convenience is much better. I also use General Hydro ph up and down. They're about $10 a bottle. There are other options out there so look around.

And your correct on perlite. I think 70/30 soil to perlite is the norm. I've also heard 60/40 is ok. The perlite will help the soil drain and avoid excess water retention, protecting the root system.

Some people go up to 50% with the perlite (I go 30-40%) plus FF already has it in their mix. I've only seen two references I think in hte same thread of FF having bugs...OMG, it's organic soil, hopefully bugs don't like organic soil. Maybe FF should use a bunch of pesticides (kidding).

I'll second getting a PH pen, if you go that route will will also need (excuse me for my lack of proper terms, it's been a long day) the testing solution so you can test it weekly or monthly to make sure it's reading right at PH7 or PH 7 and PH 4 if you are a super nerd. You will also need some storage solution to keep the testing head wet, if it dries out you have an expensive paper weight. You don't need commercial PH+/-, just use vinegar for the minus and I forget the other household thingy for the plus.

Good luck with your grow! Oh and remember that your plants can't digest the nutes in your soil or what you feed them if their PH is off....forgo a few beers at the pub and get one of those meters.

Your are testing the water PH level prior to feeding your plants correct? I think for what I can save going with the drops to test the PH I could afford to buy a bag of the Fox Farms soil. Are you saying the plant turned out to be a male because it was growing in the Happy Frog?

I was looking at perlite today and it seems to make sense to buy the big bag as it won't go to waste I'm sure.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

No, the FF soil didn't make it go male. It was a bag seed I decided to try. And it turned out male literally the day I was gonna switch to flower. Oh well. I got a AK48 fem starting now.

And yes, test and adjust before you water. What I do is fill up a large container with tap water and let it sit for 24hrs. The chemicals in tap water, especially chlorine, need to evaporate off first. Then come watering day I measure out my desired amount and check the ph with my pen. Add ph up or down as needed and check again. I try to keep my ph around 6.3

I apologize in advance if this is not allowed. This is the PH tester I have been considering. Will this be adequate for the job? Also, where do you buy the chemicals needed for this type of tester?

31Ez_m4cEkL_SX385_.jpg

That pen will work fine. My pen isn't as fancy. The calibration fluids can usually be found with the pens. Check the bottom of that page where it says "items bought together". You should see the calibration fluids. Double check with the seller, the pen might come with a calibration mix to get it started. My pen came with two small powder packs you mix into distilled water and calibrate with that.

That pen will work fine. My pen isn't as fancy. The calibration fluids can usually be found with the pens. Check the bottom of that page where it says "items bought together". You should see the calibration fluids. Double check with the seller, the pen might come with a calibration mix to get it started. My pen came with two small powder packs you mix into distilled water and calibrate with that.

Thanks for that information.

I love FF, it's a great product. Don't skimp on soil. I add close to 50% perlite, but it's a pretty light soil and will work as is

Guys I am like a newborn here and would love some advice from experienced gardeners. I am getting ready to try my hand with a couple potted plants on my patio. Right now I am in the "planning" stages, getting my act together. I have been doing much reading but I will never be one of those know it all people. So I have a few questions.

From everything I read about growing mediums Fox Farm Ocean Forest always got rave reviews, that is until recently when reports started popping about bug infestations in their product. So that kind of worries me. Another product, also made by Fox Farm is Happy Frog which seems to get a lot of favorable comments.

What do ya'll think? Is the Fox Farm bug scare just a scare or is it something to really worry about?

Finally, I need to balance the PH of my water to feed the plants. My budget is VERY TIGHT so would a drop test be the best way to go for me? I appreciate each and every one of you in advance for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

OH I almost forgot. Perlite........about 30% of your medium should be perlite?

No bugs in mine fox farm products I have happy from and ocean forest
I use a ph drop test
And yeah 30% perlite is good
Everyone grows different and every grow room is different. So to each his own and you'll enjoy the therapy of gardening.

I've used FF OF exclusively for several years. Never seen bugs in it.
I always use it as-is out of the bag, and never mixed it with anything else.

The nutes in it seem to last right up to flower when up potting. Sometimes I'll add some every other watering for the last week of veg.
Then I'll start using nutes regularly every other day during flowering.

I have had good results using FF soil.

I'm on my 1st grow ever and using FFOF and the trio of nutes
I also did 3gal of perlight per bag....
Been very impressed....but don't over nute... The soil has good vitamins up to week 6 or so...well did for me

Back
Top Bottom