First Time Grower & Poster - Saying Thanks!

WilliamEdman

Hello 420 Mag Community -

I'm a first time grower and I just wanted to take a moment and thank everyone for all of the information/advice they've given. :thanks:

I've built my own little grow box (may post pics later) out of a Stack-On Gun safe and using a 300w LED fixture. I'm doing White Widow Fem from Crop King Seeds in Vancouver in Hydro. I'm in week 3 of veg and just started low stress training and she's taking it like a pro. I'm growing her in a 6 gal container with about 3.5gal of water volume using the General Hydroponics Flora kit for nutes.

I started with two strains/plants but the Purple Kush didn't root properly and has spent the past two weeks trying to figure out what she wants to do. I pulled her out of the box last night as she was too far behind the WW and noticed some old root rot but new roots growing, so I planted her in a mug near a window and will see what happens. Maybe I'll throw her in the back yard.

At any rate - once I've determined the pics I've taken contain no geotagging info, I'll post some up. I'm pretty please so far and am excited to LST my WW and see what she does.

Thanks again all - couldn't have done it without you!

re: First Time Grower & Poster - Saying Thanks!

IMG_1492946091.jpg
IMG_1492946116.jpg
IMG_1493756280.jpg
IMG_1493806863.jpg
IMG_1494380240.jpg
IMG_1494465167.jpg

IMG_14945517811.jpg

Very nice, I like your creativity, very cool.

Just a heads up though since you are a first time grower. You know how our government has been telling us for the last 80 years that cannabis is addictive, well that is a lie, but what they did not tell us is that growing cannabis IS addictive. It is just so rewarding and satisfying to grow your own that you will find it almost impossible to stop. I started my addiction with 2 plants grown outdoors, then up graded to a 4x4 tent with 1 LED light and a 8 lamp t-5 fluorescent light. Next came the 3 new LED lights and a 5x10 tent followed by a 600 watt DE electronic ballast. I also upgraded to a 10x28 greenhouse for the back yard. I am presently working on convincing the wife we need to buy property outside of town, preferably with a large shop which I can convert into a grow room.

I feel everyone should be aware of the risks involved in growing and while it is truly addictive I must say, it is one of the most enjoyable forms of addiction I have ever experienced. Welcome to the club.

Too true OlderGrower hear hear. Being a sufferer of s.a.d. (seasonally affected disorder) growing helps the most when Autumn leads into those long winter nights. I tend the garden and it`s the height o summer lol. W.Edmund no thank you for joining the more of us the better. regards

That's awesome man! Due to the local laws here, I doubt I could get away with a green house, but a guy can dream, cant he?!

Thanks for the nice words. I'm pretty pleased with my box, although I'll probably redo a few things before the next grow. I originally designed and built everything around two attached 4g square DWC reservoirs I had built but, at the last moment, decided to swap it out for a smaller bin (the white one). So the mylar doesn't come all the way down, or as far as it should, and my intake is a little higher than I would have liked, but I think next time I'll either do the dual 4g reserv's or one 5g bucket.

I drilled 4" intake and exhaust holes using a holesaw for a template and sawzall to cut through and exhausted it straight out the wall to my back yard. One thing I REALLY like about using this cabinet is that I can use rare earth magnets to hang everything. My exhaust fan, 300w LED light, charcoal filter and little air moving fan are all held up by magnets so I didn't have to drill those holes, and I can move them around. I'm actually doing the same with LST - I'm using the little hook magnets to LST the plant around the box. I'm pretty stoked.

I had the pest management guy over here the other day to spray the house and he didn't even bat an eye at the setup - zero light bleed and almost no noise. I have a rack of servers maybe 10' from the box so that sort of drowns things out.

Anyway - thanks again. I'll post updates as things progress. I'm very excited!

That's awesome man! Due to the local laws here, I doubt I could get away with a green house, but a guy can dream, cant he?!

I grew up in the 60's and 70's back when I thought there was a chance of legalization only to be squashed by Tricky Dickie Nixon. I even grew for a while back before I met my wife but the fear of being thrown into prison over it was more then I cared to gamble so I quite growing and smoking for over 30 years. Now I live in a state where it is legal not only medically but recreational as well (Yay Oregon) and the day, ok so it was a little earlier, it was legal to grow recreationally I started growing. My point is, this crazy prohibition of MJ is on it's way out and it will not be long before you too will be able to grow legally in a greenhouse in your back yard. In the 70's 24% of people in America believed MJ should be legal, today over 60% feel the same way and with the internet allowing people the opportunity to get the facts easier then ever before, that number will be growing, especially as people see that MJ can actually be beneficial to their health.
Keep the faith, your state will eventually see the light of the future and join in on the end of prohibition.

Preaching to the choir. I see what CO and WA were able to do with all the tax revenue raised from the LEGAL sales and, man, that's just awesome. Granted.. I won't be paying any taxes on it (hehe) but you get the point. If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be, too.

I live in Georgia.. you know.. one of those states that would probably lynch and hang me if they caught me. I only started smoking in the last five years or so. I told my wife, when we got married, I'd be more likely to start smoking bud than drinking ever again (I haven't had a drink since 2002 when I went to high school in Belgium) and I'm glad I chose the greener path. My wife's been totally cool about everything, too. She doesn't partake but understands it helps me turn my brain off at the end of the day and would rather it be home grown than purchased somewhere else. Heck, I like the idea of knowing exactly what's going into my plants. I can't wait.

Has anyone here tried White Window from Crop King Seeds? Or just the WW strain, for that matter?

Working from home today and just hit a bowl of SuperMan.. and there goes the stress, haha. Can't wait for my WW...

Pretty cool grow box, the gun cabinet. I use the alcove in the kitchen where the fridge used to be, all decked out for a new purpose. I'm just new at it too, and there are lots of people who are eager to give a person advice and information. I'd like to give my own thanks as well. Some of the people who've helped me out are on this thread, so once again, thanks guys.

IMG_20170513_193907.jpg
IMG_20170513_194005.jpg

Dude, that's awesome! What are the dimensions of your box? What are you growing in there?

Yeah - I went with a Stack-On 16 gun cabinet which I'm really happy with. Aside from my intake hole, there is zero light bleed and contains all of the sound. We hosted Mother's Day yesterday - my dad and I spent some time in the shop where it lives and he didn't even notice it.

I managed to resurrect my Purple Kush plant and am going to just let her grow normally, while the White Window gets the LST treatment. I'm pretty stoked...

Dimensions? Hmmmmm, I eyeballed it all actually. I'd say the inside dimensions of my grow room are a little bigger than the outside dimensions of a fridge haha. Maybe I should have just used the old fridge itself. Totally lightproof and pretty much soundproof. I don't worry about anyone seeing it anyway. I'm growing some WWs in there now I have a couple that are well over a month old and some seedlings, For some reason they are growing real slow; I guess it'll pick up with practice. I'm just new at growing yet. The older ones are getting something a little worst than LST - maybe MST, for lack of better term. The seedlings will get LST too, but I think I figured out a better plan than for the first ones.

Very nice man. This is my first grow, too. I decided to go with hydro instead of soil... I seriously can't keep a houseplant alive (my wife and I managed to kill a cactus.. somehow). My WW is about a month old at this point - I think she's doing quite well:

IMG_1494892787.jpg
IMG_1494892778.jpg
IMG_1494892761.jpg

My PK keeps wanting to die on me. I checked it at lunch today and she was perky and happy. When I checked this evening she was shriveled up and all pissed off. If she doesn't come back I'll just say screw it and cut my losses.

Yeah, I'm not a natural-born horticulturist myself either. I was able to pass botany, but it's not the same thing. Last week I tried to sprout some beans and they just rotted in the soil, if you can believe that. My WWs are about the same age and size as yours. I'm too bloody stubborn to give up though. When my little ones get a bit bigger, I'll transplant them and start the LST Just the same. We're supposed to get some warm weather this week, so I plan on putting a couple of them out by the door for awhile.

Hey All -

Been a while so I thought I'd update everyone. I've really been enjoying the progress and changes Roberta Plant (as she's been named) sees, daily. We're nearing the end of week six of flower and I just got some GH KoolBloom to add to hopefully some bulk to things, but I'm not concerned. Roberta's buds are heavy and thick - not airy at all. The buds about 8-10" down from the main ones started out very airy but have seriously bulked up and grown up to meet the larger colas. I had to get a dehumidifier for the room where the box is located to keep things down, so that's been down around 35%-50% (at the very top end).

To keep things moving through, I decided to build a seedling/clone box out of a Bush 30W Collection Media Center I found on Craigslist. It's about 2'x2'x2' but what I really like about it is that the back is thick MDF and not cheap cardboard.

Here are some pics of how things have progressed. I'm quite proud for my first grow. For my next one, I will be using a GH HydroFarm res instead of the POS I'm using now, and I'm probably going to upgrade to a 600w LED, and keep my Robertas a little lower, although the 300w LED I'm using isn't really doing any damage to her. I'm quite pleased.

Without further adieu:

IMG_118.jpg

IMG_121.jpg
IMG_131.jpg
IMG_141.jpg
IMG_15.jpg
IMG_16.jpg
IMG_17.jpg
IMG_18.jpg
IMG_19.jpg
IMG_20.jpg

IMG_CB1.jpg
IMG_CB2.jpg
IMG_CB3.jpg
IMG_CB4.jpg
IMG_CB5.jpg
IMG_CB6.jpg
IMG_CB7.jpg
IMG_CB8.jpg

Well, Roberta Plant (white widow) provided a bountiful harvest of 16oz wet and just shy of 5oz dry. I'm pretty pleased with that for my first grow. I've got her curing in some UV curing jars and some Boveda 62% packets to regulate humidity and make sure no mold or bacteria grow.

I've already moved the clone I had taken from the clone box to the flower box. I upgraded to a 600w equiv LED that may be a bit overkill but I think it may produce larger, more dense buds and further down on the stalk. I've also switched to Advanced Nutrients Trio PH Perfect line, from GH, which Roberta Plant II seems to absolutely love. I can't wait to see how she turns out.

Here are a few pics from the harvest and the new Roberta:

IMG_1503191497.jpg

IMG_1503191492.jpg

IMG_1503196203.jpeg

IMG_1503449746.jpg

IMG_1503449766.jpg

Thoughts, anyone? Just shy of 5oz dry from a 20"x17"x45" growing space.. I'm pretty happy and proud of that... anyone else?

That's a pretty good yield from a small grow space! Good job man.

As for the upgrade on the light there are two things. One as you know these ladies love light so the more the better. However, considering the space you have her growing in I would be careful because you don't want her to get light burn when she gets too close. LST if you can and you should be ok.

Keep it up! Great pics.

Back
Top Bottom