Do You Know Any Cannabis Know-it-alls?

flytier

Ok, so I work with a couple guys who've grown in the past. One grew outdoors for personal use and the other grew large-scale indoors for, let's say, other than personal use. One is completely convinced that if I don't follow his word to the letter, I'm doomed to failure (and he swears up and down that it's impossible to produce feminized seeds and that there's no such thing as C. ruderalis), and the other is trying to convince me that my way (small micro-grow in a kitchen alcove) is way too small and I have to go at it on a larger scale. When I try to explain what I'm doing I get cut off in mid-sentence and have to listen to stuff that don't make any logical sense (I've studied biology in university) or stuff that is over my head as far as growing goes.

As I'm a new grower I'm content to start small and learn from my mistakes. Anybody else know people like that? I guess I should have kept my trap shut.:rolleyes3

Ok, so I work with a couple guys who've grown in the past. One grew outdoors for personal use and the other grew large-scale indoors for, let's say, other than personal use. One is completely convinced that if I don't follow his word to the letter, I'm doomed to failure (and he swears up and down that it's impossible to produce feminized seeds and that there's no such thing as C. ruderalis), and the other is trying to convince me that my way (small micro-grow in a kitchen alcove) is way too small and I have to go at it on a larger scale. When I try to explain what I'm doing I get cut off in mid-sentence and have to listen to stuff that don't make any logical sense (I've studied biology in university) or stuff that is over my head as far as growing goes.

As I'm a new grower I'm content to start small and learn from my mistakes. Anybody else know people like that? I guess I should have kept my trap shut.:rolleyes3

I'm also a first time grower but it sounds to me like there's definitely more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak, when it comes to growing weed. Honestly, I started with growweedeasy.com, read over all their material, then went to forums and started learning what I could. I say I'm a first time grower but I did actually successfully harvest a female plant in my back yard last summer. I didn't really tend to it as I didn't want to draw attention to what I was doing, but I ended up with about a half oz with absolutely zero effort and no additional watering.. we had a draught last summer, too.

With regards to the small micro-grow - you and I are in a similar boat. You actually have more space than I do (I'm at 20"x17"x45" interior dimensions) but I'm doing hydro and only one or two plants, max. As long as you have light and nutrients, you should get a yield. I went with a dimmable 300w LED setup so I can adjust the intensity once the plants are at full growth. I'm hoping my LST keeps them short enough but very full.

I'm not sure what to expect with regards to a yield, but my goal is between 4oz and 8oz. Next grow will be from clone of the WW so things should move along a little more quickly. Do you have any idea what you were expecting, as far as a yield?

I have never run into people like that on this topic, but on just about every topic in life. Some people are close minded and egotistical. You could grow in a shoebox, if that what pleases you. It doesn't matter. Work with what you have.

Don't listen to people like that, try what you have in mind, read stuff and educate yourself as you go along.

Basically all you need is: seeds/clones, medium, light and water.

How much space do you have available and how much weed do you need to be self sufficient?

To be honest, I really don't know what to expect. I'm flying in on a wing and a prayer, as it were. If I get anything I'll count it as a win. When some of the extra stems on my WW get a bit taller I'll try to clone again (my first 2 tries fell through) and hope for the best. growweedeasy is a pretty good site; been through it myself. I downloaded a ton of books from torrent sites as well - everything from the basics right up to the genetics of it. When I do something like this I like to get myself a good knowledge base.

I just have CFLs and screw-in LED floodlights in my setup, but I have no prior knowledge to compare it to for efficiency. I have space for half a dozen 5 litre buckets, but hopefully a couple will spend the summer out by the door until they they look a good enough size to bring them in for 12/12. I don't want to keep flowering plants in the open; too much temptation for people to have their way.

I have never run into people like that on this topic, but on just about every topic in life. Some people are close minded and egotistical. You could grow in a shoebox, if that what pleases you. It doesn't matter. Work with what you have.

That's my plan.

Don't listen to people like that, try what you have in mind, read stuff and educate yourself as you go along.

Basically all you need is: seeds/clones, medium, light and water.

How much space do you have available and how much weed do you need to be self sufficient?

Here's my grow room. It's the alcove where the fridge used to be. As for self-sufficiency, well, I've been over a month with none, so anything is better than nothing. That's about the best answer I can give.
IMG_20170513_193907.jpg
IMG_20170513_194005.jpg

Once you get the hang of it, that size area should be able to give you 1g per day.

If you want maximum gram per Kwh and day, you can grow SoG (Sea of Green) style with many small single cola plants in small pots giving little to no veg time.
You have the height to make a 2 level SoG setup running plants in small pots 12/12 from seed/clone, room for maybe 18 plants in 1L-2L pots per level, 36 plants harvested every 12th week with just 5g per plant your well over 2g per day.
So you can make a decent turn around in small space, maybe make the bottom level veg/mother room and continiously feed the 12/12 level above with clones once one is finished flowering.

Do you have any extraction?

Are there holes drilled in the bottom of the buckets for drainage?

What K (Kelvin) and wattage are your lights?

Once you get the hang of it, that size area should be able to give you 1g per day.

If you want maximum gram per Kwh and day, you can grow SoG (Sea of Green) style with many small single cola plants in small pots giving little to no veg time.
You have the height to make a 2 level SoG setup running plants in small pots 12/12 from seed/clone, room for maybe 18 plants in 1L-2L pots per level, 36 plants harvested every 12th week with just 5g per plant your well over 2g per day.
So you can make a decent turn around in small space, maybe make the bottom level veg/mother room and continiously feed the 12/12 level above with clones once one is finished flowering.

Do you have any extraction?

Are there holes drilled in the bottom of the buckets for drainage?

What K (Kelvin) and wattage are your lights?

I do like the idea of SoG, but I have no seeds or clones to grow from yet, and the startup cost for that is pretty high. Sometime this year, I'm probably going to get some M/F seeds and produce some offspring, but for now I'm just playing around and getting the feel of growing. Never really looked into the long-term aspects of it. My short-term goal is to convince myself that I can do it.

I'm doing some LST right now and waiting for some branches to get big enough to make clones from, and that will help me out a bit later in the season. As well, I have a couple seedlings I may keep outdoors in pots when it warms up enough.

Not sure what you mean by extraction. The pots are set up for drainage; I made sure of that. My lights are mostly 5700K for now but I'm buying some 2700s here and there for flowering when the time arises. I have, for now, a combination of CFLs and screw-in LED floodlights, but I will eventually go with all LEDs for better power efficiency and more concentrated light to the plants.

So far, I'm having fun with it, and that's one of my goals for doing it.

There are know it alls in everything, i work with computers and there may be 15 right ways to code some software, but theres always those that know THE ONLY way no matter what you do. I explained scrog to a friend that used to grow outdoors and he said it wont work...

When I was a kid my dad drove Dodge cars and a Dodge truck. Today, 50 years later I drive Mopar vehicles. Meaning, if that's how my dad did it then it must be right. So that's how I do it so I know it's right.

This might help you out with your lighting. Go to a site called Wish dot Com and do a search for 28W LED plant grow light bulb. The item at the top left should be a 28 watt full spectrum LED spot bulb. Now, if you scroll down, and keep scrolling and looking you can find those bulbs for $2.00 each with $1.00 shipping. I initially ordered 2 to see what they looked like. Took a good while to arrive (China) but they finally got here. They are quite small which to me is a good thing. They are very bright and run very cool. I liked them so much I ordered 13 more. That will give me 420 watts of LED lighting for $45.00 My grow area is also quite small so that should be plenty of light.

There are know it alls in everything, i work with computers and there may be 15 right ways to code some software, but theres always those that know THE ONLY way no matter what you do. I explained scrog to a friend that used to grow outdoors and he said it wont work...

yup, know-it-alls in everything,truest words ever spoken.

This might help you out with your lighting. Go to a site called Wish dot Com and do a search for 28W LED plant grow light bulb. The item at the top left should be a 28 watt full spectrum LED spot bulb. Now, if you scroll down, and keep scrolling and looking you can find those bulbs for $2.00 each with $1.00 shipping. I initially ordered 2 to see what they looked like. Took a good while to arrive (China) but they finally got here. They are quite small which to me is a good thing. They are very bright and run very cool. I liked them so much I ordered 13 more. That will give me 420 watts of LED lighting for $45.00 My grow area is also quite small so that should be plenty of light.

I just ordered 4 for a 1.00 a piece, 1.00 shipping....anything like that is worth 2 bucks a piece to try lol

What's the conversion rate for a yen and out of curiosity, do they use paypal or what? I' never shopped online before so I've never had the need to use it.

Not sure what you mean by extraction. The pots are set up for drainage; I made sure of that. My lights are mostly 5700K for now but I'm buying some 2700s here and there for flowering when the time arises. I have, for now, a combination of CFLs and screw-in LED floodlights, but I will eventually go with all LEDs for better power efficiency and more concentrated light to the plants.

I mean if you have a fan blowing stale air out of the closet?

If you want a bang for your buck try looking into DIY LED COB's ;)

I mean if you have a fan blowing stale air out of the closet?

If you want a bang for your buck try looking into DIY LED COB's ;)

No extractor, but I make sure I keep it open a few hours a day. I really haven't gotten into it enough to try the LED COB thing. Perhaps when I get more into the swing of things.

You don't need some advice it helps but it does not need it as for ruderalis it is a subspecies of of sativa I work for a dispensary so if you have any questions just post my name on here and I will pop back up

Back
Top Bottom