When did cannabis seeds become more valuable then gold?

I just finished visiting a couple of the 420 magazine site cannabis seed sponsors. I won't mention names so as not to embarrass anyone. But $32.37 for a single Pineapple Chunk seed? They are in the UK and are charging $5.40 tax. TAX and I'm in the US. So I'm already up to $37.77 and didn't even get to the shipping page.

It is getting ridiculous. Someone will come up with a way to beat this system hopefully sooner then later so people with a tight/fixed income can afford to buy a few packs of seeds.

Sorry for venting. But I feel like I just got run over by a Rhino that shopping experience hurt so much!!!

I'm a miser with all the seeds that I purchased over the years I usually buy the cheapest ones with the best genetic background I can find. For each seed that I buy I've looked at dozens of grow journals reviews I looked at the breeding characteristics so I can know what to expect when I get into the more interesting aspect of growing plants which is breeding. So usually I will expense around 50 to $65 total for my purchase and no that is not one seed I tend to go for the classics original strains etc instead of whatever is the most ridiculously named hyped seed of the moment. When I breed I usually will tag off one or two branches for polinizacion or if I really think that the hybrid effort is going to be super I'll set off a whole plant for seeds.

Wait for sales. 4/20 and hopefully Christmas. You'll get a heck of a lot more bang (bong?) for your buck if you wait for sales.

Depends on the strain, I'm not growing the great great stuff yet but most of the seeds I've seen are no more then 10 dollars each

I guess that's my whole problem with the cost of seeds and the whole breeders/seed bank thing. A seed from "great stuff" costs no more to produce then a seed from a headache producing Mexican plant. I'm also noticing that the higher CBD strain seeds have a premium price increase added to them. Kind of like the pharmaceutical companies JACK UP the price of a drug that people can't live without.

If I were a seed bank the cheapest seeds I sold would be the high CBD strains. I would not carry seeds of any breeder who had inflated prices for their "medical" quality seeds. But alas, I am not a seed bank so this is all just conjecture and my own personal opinion. But hearing of people pollinating a whole plant and getting a couple thousand seeds off the plant? I mean come on you don't have to make your car payment with the profit off one sale of seeds.

Any commodity that is regulated to the point of marijuana - it's a wonder seeds don't cost more. The reality is supply is being regulated by fed and state law and interested parties--- those who profit off of its regulation and legal status -- are perfectly content with it the way it is. The only reason states takes years to go from legalizing to actually implementing the change in law is because they are figuring out the best balance to maximize revenue with the little expected cost. It has zero to do with safety or health.. very little to do with social issues related -(no worse than legal drugs)- so what else can it be but how to prevent end users from not being required to buy from them. Now seed banks take advantage - as any good capitalist should- knowing it's all short term.
Fact is, if is now en vogue to grow. To have the coolest new lights or nutes or method of grow...it's socially acceptable even in most non legal states so people are interested in jumping in...they need supplies- what is the hardest to get for any grow? Plants or seeds. Most regulated of all parts of the growing process- despite the fact that seeds- in general- are the cheapest and easiest to produce- far easier than a hps bulb.
And sellers and government knows this.. we can clone now and it's easy as can be. One good seed is potential a forever seed. So value does seem relative until the perceived or enforced demand is reduced or removed.

A seed from "great stuff" costs no more to produce then a seed from a headache producing Mexican plant.

I don't mean to sound cynical, but this is just the way of the world, is it not? Any for-profit entity seeks to maximize profit--whatever the market will bear--and this market supports selling a quasi-legal product at very high profit. Unless their genetics are protected by law (ala Monsanto crop seeds), even great quality seeds are a commodity and eventually the prices will fall as competition takes hold.

I'm no economist, but that just seems to be the way of things... My .02.

I dont mind the price really. just making sure you find a reputable vendor is the biggest thing. I deal with quite a few shops and they do have great product and customer service kicks ass. But the shipping im not to happy about but meh. I tend to buy twice a year. each time dropping around 500 dollars 75% of those seeds are stock piled away. as long as i have those i can have medicine, and potential income. Seeds or flowers are on par with gold except you cant grow gold.

It's been worth it to me. I have used Nirvana's seeds for a while, and the assurance of quality genetics each run is worth the 7 to 10 dollars a seed that I pay. Plus, for the investment in a cloning setup, you only need to raise seeds until you get one that you like, then clone that little bitch for the rest of time. I'm still searching for "The" strain.

Got White Widow and AK48 in the ground, Chem Dawg and Green Crack on order.

It's been worth it to me. I have used Nirvana's seeds for a while, and the assurance of quality genetics each run is worth the 7 to 10 dollars a seed that I pay. Plus, for the investment in a cloning setup, you only need to raise seeds until you get one that you like, then clone that little bitch for the rest of time. I'm still searching for "The" strain.

Got White Widow and AK48 in the ground, Chem Dawg and Green Crack on order.

So you've switched seed banks to acquire the Chem Dawg and Green Crack? I very recently harvested seeds from an Early Miss auto that I got to make female pollen sacks (by spraying a branch) and pollinate itself. After trading 45 of my seeds away for nearly 60 seeds of 7 different strains I am on my way to seed independence.

0013568.jpg

There are plenty low priced seeds out there too. It's not like all the seeds out there are super high priced. Then it would be different. There is a lower priced option for almost every strain out there. Are they as good? Sometimes and sometimes you get a star that's even better. Bottom line there are other options. Quit trying to get Lamborghini quality at Volkswagen prices.

Back
Top Bottom