Stress Free Transplant - Up Potting

I remember doing transplants and being worried about when, how, where, etc. I didn't want to damage the plant or even stress it out. I've grown on and off through out my life. Years later I've kinda just started doing it this way and I don't remember every being taught or told to do it this way. I thought I'd share this method with you all. It works for me, maybe it will work for you, or at the very least give you some ideas for what will work best for you.

Alright, first thing you gotta do is select a plant to transplant. In this tutorial I used an established plant in a 1/2 gallon container.

IMG_875610.jpg

Next I grabbed the larger container I planned to use, a 5 gallon container.

IMG_87577.jpg

I filled it a little bit and then fit a different 1/2 gallon container centered inside the pot, on top of the dirt I already put in. Then I filled in around the 1/2 gallon pot and used the same nutes, I do for feeding this plant, to wet the soil for some compaction around the sides and so it will hold it's shape.

IMG_87558.jpg

IMG_87587.jpg

Then I removed the 1/2 gallon pot, leaving a perfect shaped hole. :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

IMG_87607.jpg

IMG_87624.jpg

Next, I removed all LST and plant markers from the container the plant is coming out of. This step is very important!!!

IMG_87633.jpg

Hold the container firmly and lightly tap around the sides, you may need to squeeze or smack the sides to loosen up the rootball and soil, but it will come loose.

When you remove the container it's important to support the entire rootball.

IMG_87656.jpg

I want to pause here and put in a disclaimer. Some people like to water a day or two before transplant and other like to wait until the soil is more dry and lighter. There are benefits to both methods, however you should not water your plant and try to transplant the same day. Situations vary, but this is where you'll have to find your way and what is most comfortable for you.

Ok... Now gently place your rootball into the hole you made when you removed the smaller pot from larger one.

IMG_87664.jpg

Now grab your shovel, spade, spoon, or other digging device and top your new container with dirt and wet the soil until you've got about 20% run off.

After you've done that reapply any LST or training you're planning and of course that plant marker.

IMG_87676.jpg

Now the only thing left to do is put your lady under a light and admire your work!

I hope you found this little ditty helpful, I know it's nothing to insanely tough, but I mean hey, we're just growing plants...

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom