First grow stories!

DirtBagg

Hi guys, I was just curious what you alls first grow went. I'm on my very first grow. $till learning and on my 2nd week from seed. I'm growing 2 pineapple xpress from g13 labs and 1 uk cheese in soil. 4x4 apollo tent. 6 inch carbon filter exhaust. 4 mars hydro 300w led lights.
-What strain did you grow?
-Did it go as expected?
-what would you have done diffrent?
-Did you spend a bunch of money on cool equipment. (Like me haha 500$ in 2 weeks)
-what was your yield like?

Re: First grow stories! !!!

420-magazine-mobile1390083632.jpg
here's my setup

First grow was three bag seeds planted in fox farms ocean soil w/ no nutes ,only distilled tap water. Two males pulled in bloom stage leaving the little girl that grew into very nice looking lady. Being the bag lady that she was, the hooter wasn't much better than the bag hoot that she came from. But she gave me a nice clone that started a clone string that lasted for 5 years. The interesting aspect of that five year span was how awesome the clone grow intensified.Very smooth tokes and very Kush like high.

My vwry first grow was... pathetic lol. I knew absolutly nothing. I thought a light was a light. I had a bag seed i threw into some soil from the back yard. Put it into a 2x1 box lined with the reflector lids you get from chinese food lol. At the time i thought it was a good set up lmao. Ended up getting spider mites and yielded a wopping 20 grams. This was like 20 years ago and i didnt have access to the internet or anyone who knew anythig about growing.

Just harvested my first grow. Skunk bag seed that I abused at just about every chance as I learned. I had bad spider mites, nute issues, and not having a tent so they spent their first two months on my shady deck. I was happy to see some buds at the end even though it was harvested early due to the mites I still got some smoke. Picture is half of the harvest, the other half is in a mesh basket. Thanks 420 crew for all the help.
Fullfirstharvest.jpg

Outdoors in 1973 at a place I was renting from a college professor while attending UTEP. Nice plot with about 20 or so foot high

plants in spring. He came by to fix a well pump, asked what it was so I told him an experiment for my last Botany class, he thought

that was cool. 2 days later some smart ass published a photo of a plant that was the same size as mine on the front page of the

school newspaper, oops. He showed up that afternoon waving the picture in my face demanding that I pull it all. I asked him if he

would mind if I dried it so it would not go to waste. He said sure just quit growing the shit.

Looks like those buds could use a little trim. Hooe you got a fan or some sort of airflow in there. Hate to see you get mold after all your hard work

Thanks, I had to hang them up last night as I ran out of daylight before I could do a wash for them. Today I am using Doc Buds bud wash process as I want to be sure I kill any of the damn mites still there and wash away as much of the webs, dog hair, Neem and dust that is probably on them. I'll try and post some pics of how they look afterward. I will have them in a room with good air circulation from a fan but not blowing on them. Doc Bud leaves some of the leaves on the buds until after the wash and then once dry it is supposed to be easier to trim so I will see how that goes. Thanks for the advice though, I sure as hell don't want to let them get screwed up. Too much time in the trenches fighting spider mites to not be able to enjoy some of my first home grown.

oh boy haha. first grow was in my sister in laws apartment. I may have neglected to ask permission if i could grow there..... lol
I had some good stuff too. had one gdp, one cherry pie, and a girl scout cookies, and can't remember the other two strains.
anyway, I got like 2 weeks into flower under a 600w HPS and then sister in law made me get rid of everything. never got to finish it. very sad lol. kept the equipment though obviously. still got the 600w hps barely used but i switched to all LEDs to do my electric bill some justice. I now have my own house so no more abortions haha.

Drying was finished yesterday as almost all stems would snap like a twig and the really big ones were breaking but not snapping off. Ended up with 2 and 1/2 ounces of dried manicured and ready to smoke buds. An ounce of that was in popcorn buds and sugar leaves that is going to go into my first batch of butter for some edibles. One big mistake I made is fighting the spider mites so late in flower, pretty sure I lost a fair bit of trichomes with all the neem and water pressure spraying. I am going to start proactively spraying as they go through veg and early in flower hoping to head off any problems before they get started. I had a question about the Boveeda humidity packs though, do you still need to burp the jars once or twice a day or since it has those in it can they just stay sealed? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Harvest_1-2.jpg
harvest_124.jpg

Drying was finished yesterday as almost all stems would snap like a twig and the really big ones were breaking but not snapping off. Ended up with 2 and 1/2 ounces of dried manicured and ready to smoke buds. An ounce of that was in popcorn buds and sugar leaves that is going to go into my first batch of butter for some edibles. One big mistake I made is fighting the spider mites so late in flower, pretty sure I lost a fair bit of trichomes with all the neem and water pressure spraying. I am going to start proactively spraying as they go through veg and early in flower hoping to head off any problems before they get started. I had a question about the Boveeda humidity packs though, do you still need to burp the jars once or twice a day or since it has those in it can they just stay sealed? Thanks for any advice you guys can give.
Harvest_1-2.jpg
harvest_124.jpg

Obviously I am also a new grower so take my advice with a grain of salt. But I have never heard of boveeda humidity packs. But in my little experience and from every piece of advice I have ever gotten on growing, always do a full cure in sealed jars and burp them. No fast drying methods, no shortcuts. I have read from several sources that doing a hang dry until crispy, then cure and burp for at least a month, will always give your bud the best terps, taste, potency and will always give the smoothest smoke. I tried fast drying on my last harvest but I only did it for about 3 days in a drying chamber I build and then I let them sit another day then cured. My buds tasted alright but I'm still thinking of doing an actual hang dry next time to see the real difference. But again, I'm new too. And the best way to figure out what works is experimentation. Happy growing! Peace

The Boveeda are humidity control packs that keep the humidity at 62% which is supposed to be the best humidity to cure in. They can release moisture or remove it when needed. I dried for 6 days in my veg tent at around 70-75 degrees and around 40-45% humidity. Since this is my first go I figured I would use the Boveeda packs to head off any mold or bud rot issues. I'll post in a week or two on how they are curing. I smoked some last night and I had a bowl of nothing but the red hairs and some kief left from when I was trimming. I was the most stoned I have been in a very long time. Best night sleep I have had in a month probably. Thanks for the advice on the plain jar cure, I might go that route with my Borderline XTRM that is due to be chopped at the end of the month.

Right on. Ill have to do some research on boveeda. sounds interesting. who knows? they may work. I built a drying chamber as i said and used it on my last grow, and it did work quite well to speed up the initial dry time. after about 4 days the stems had a good snap to them, but then i just cured normally after that for about 3 weeks. but as I have read, drying chambers are not usually recommended for the full drying process. I may do a little experiment with my next harvest. maybe Ill split up the harvest into groups and try different drying and curing methods on each all with the same strain. see which group comes out better as far as taste, Harshness, potency, and terps go. I know I have a few friends that would happily volunteer to taste test each group and give a rating in each category. ooo that sounds fun. I have always been told that the old fashioned way is the best but that is only anecdotal evidence. It would be really exciting to see what an actual experiment would have to say about drying/curing methods.

Just signed with the forum. I'm on my first grow. Still learning a lot and making a lot of mistakes along the way. I have 1 GSC clone that has been in veg for 6 weeks, Topped, LST, and scrogged. Overboard? I also have 1 OG Kush, 3 bag seedlings that just reached veg stage.
Vivosun 4x4 tent
400watt Mh
400watt HPS
Veg cabinet
Sunblaze 2x4
100watt CFL
a58150d8d3d5ab83a81f3eff116a9868.jpg
1b76b74fc5de6e6d33324e251e6d5742.jpg
eda1685324324b2f84b4b0157a0a09be.jpg
aa401cf9d6eef41b5177aa19746fcae6.jpg
8ef5ab22b6c79546acce8b5d8ff370d5.jpg

Harvest_1-2.jpg
harvest_124.jpg
You should burp once or twice a day for a week or 2 before using the packs as I read on there site says they will last longer if you do it that way

Just signed with the forum. I'm on my first grow. Still learning a lot and making a lot of mistakes along the way. I have 1 GSC clone that has been in veg for 6 weeks, Topped, LST, and scrogged. Overboard? I also have 1 OG Kush, 3 bag seedlings that just reached veg stage.
Vivosun 4x4 tent
400watt Mh
400watt HPS
Veg cabinet
Sunblaze 2x4
100watt CFL

nice! And don't worry about over training. I have topped my cotton candy kush i think 3 times already? and I just topped her again like a half hour ago. She had something like 20ish tops already before I topped again today. In the vegetative stage these plants are incredibly resilient! With my plant, it seems like the more I train her the better she seems to grow. I may need a trellis net like yours though for all the tops I got. My plant practically supercropped itself ha ha! Trying to fill my full 2x4 square footage with one plant so she needs a lot of training. But man is she filling out! This is only my 4th, but best grow I've done so far! You should start a grow journal and put a link for it in your signature. I'd be happy to check it out!

Real funny story with my first indoor grow. It was late 80's or early 90's. I was growing 2 strains from the Super Sativa Seed Club if I remember right. The strains I grew were Skunk #1 and Afghani #1 under a 400 watt MH in soil. All went well tell a month into flowering. While I had noticed the skunky smell in my apartment. Little did I know the whole building smelt like skunk. The maintenance guy finally tracked the smell to my basement apartment. He was going to evict me for poor housekeeping lol. Luckily the guy was a good friend and I could show him what was going on. With his help we managed to convince they other 5 apartments in the building that a skunk had hibernated under the foundation.
This was way before charcoal air filters. Which I have came to love. While Amsterdam went with the sweet Skunk as apposed to the Road Kill Skunk. What I grew was plenty skunky to damn near get me arrested. In the end it cost me a few buds of each plant for silence. Doesn't sound to bad but back then I wasn't getting very much per plant. I think I got 3/4 of a ounce from the skunk and 1/2 ounce from the Afghani.

My first grow was just a shot in the dark as a project with my father. Ended up with bud that turned to dust upon touching it lol it was a great learning experience though. After that I attended a local Cannabis school and got my techniques on par.

Back
Top Bottom