Fish grown weed - First run lookin good!

TWINTURBODOGO

Hey all, thanks for stopping in and having a look.
So a lil about the grow.
Well it's 1 Critical Kush lady started from seed in a dual root zone aquaponics setup. Basically I pump my dirty Fish tank water up to a plant that cleans the dirty water and returns it to the fish clean.
Dual root zone is just like it sounds it's 2 zones in the pot for the rots. The bottom 2/3 I'd hydroton balls. The top 1/3 is soil the two layers are separated by a layer of burlap. To keep the soil washing down into the planter and then into to fish tank.
It gave the best of both worlds, hydro in the bottom and the top can take advantage of all the benefits that hydro losses compared to soil.
This allows me to amend the nutrients that are lacking in the fish waste. Like phosphorus and potassium.

I am learning this technique from a group of guys, mainly Steve and Marty from a YouTube podcast named Growing with Fishes they are both VERY knowledgeable about aquaponic cannabis and have been growing it this way for quite awhile. Along with other great looking plants and veggies!

They also are using things like worm beds, making lactobasilic (don't think that's how it's spelled lol) bacteria additives, ferments of fruits to make fertilizer.
I'm blown away by this and couldn't wait to try it myself!
So this spring I setup a 20 gal fish tank with a 10 gal tote as a planter bed and started a seed in a 2 1/2 gal bucket.
And placed the whole thing outside.

She's done very well and so have the fish I brought little Kush lady inside and out her in a tent to flower her, a little over 2 weeks ago now. She's making nice buds and coming along great.

I'd love to show her off to you guys and gals! Tell me what you think of my little Critical Kush lady!

420-magazine-mobile1020322729.jpg

420-magazine-mobile820001503.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1090757848.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1785958843.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1591191804.jpg

420-magazine-mobile576267968.jpg

420-magazine-mobile1647429192.jpg

420-magazine-mobile454830853.jpg

Re: Fish grown weed, first run lookin good!

You know it's funny, I got into this whole thing from the exact same thing. I have a aquaponics system and my friend found a bag seed and threw it in there for shits and giggles, never expected the thing to grow, hell when it did I wasent even sure what it was! It grew like a monster tho. I eventually had to kill it because there was no way I would have been able to grow it as it was huge and my system is not that big. After all that that i did tons of research and made me a full blown tent system. We nicknamed him groot and now lies in a display case for memory of my first grow :)

IMG_239227.JPG
IMG_238627.JPG
IMG_238924.JPG
IMG_238726.JPG
IMG_239023.JPG
IMG_239128.JPG
IMG_238830.JPG

If you could tell those fan leaves were freaking massive, I imagine it would have gotten like 10 feet tall. Not to mention most likely a photoperiod. It was almost touching the light already so no way I could have grew it out. But that's okay tho it taught me a lot :) The thing I like about aquaponics is not having to water. Other then that I don't see much of a benefit. Everything that fish poop I can add to my soil with nutrients. Even not having to water I honestly think an aquaponics system requires more upkeep then a soil grow. I'm all about simplicity. Pretty much the only thing I do now is water every few days and that's it :)

Lol I actually see aquaponics as less maintenance. Cause there's no need to dose with nutes when watering or anything. Just top off fish tank once a week.
Well that and I have always grown and liked the speed and yeild you can get with hydro. Now I can have the best of both works using dual root zone.
And I plan to raise catfish, tilapia and trout wich I can eat, yum!

I took another look at those leaves and ya those are great size!

So added a swirl filter and am going to feed all the solid waste caught in it to the worm bin I have. Also the ph is going down and more stable since switching to r/o water.
So ph is closer to in range now!

Awesome! That setup is beautiful. Im hoping for a housing change in the near-ish future that would allow me the space and privacy to do something like this on a large scale.
Raise food for your family and meds at the same time? One step closer to getting off the grid. Lol
Im off to check out the you tubes now! Thanks for sharing man.

Thanks for lookin and replying with kind words!
That's exactly my goal, become more self reliant and be off grid!
I recently traded a couple oz of some killer White Rhino for solar panels lol.

When you hit YouTube some good guys to watch are Potent Ponics, APmeds, Fish Ganja Guy, Bright Agrotech, BrayneGro and Growing with Fishes podcasts.
Last night Aquaponic Dumme had a grow tent giveaway!

I use fish waste too, but slightly differently. I work at a salmon hatchery and we compost our dead fish, which I recycle the next year. Excellent stuff. I recently started a grow journal using it to grow some Dwarf Low Flyers, if you want to check it out Flytier's CKS Dwarf Low Flyer - Fall Of 2017 Indoor Grow . Best of luck with it.

Very cool man. A full sized aquaponics grow where you can keep some catfish and tilapia, as well as cannabis, is where its at. You get quality fish as well as cannabis. Thats the future of home gardening and improved self sufficiency. Shoot the odd moose/deer, grow a few veggies, and you remove half the toxicity that we are exposed to. Well done man

You sir hit the nail on the head!
That is exactly what we're looking to do. I can control what goes into my food!

This is really cool. My sons school is in the process of setting up a giant greenhouse full of aquaponics grown veggies. The kids will farm tilapia and they plan to let the culinary arts kids cook with what they grow. Anything left over will be donated to soup kitchens in the area. This is the future as far as self sustaining lifestyles go I believe. I'm watching with interest.

Do you run into nutrient deficiencies? It seems there would be a lack of some nutrients.

Hey all thanks for the questions and comments.

Yes there are some nutrients that are not provided by the fish. The soil portion of the pot allows me to add those missing nutes to the plant. But keep them out of the fish water.
I have had to add cal mag and bloom nutes.
And I have added parsley and lettuce to the tote. They'll use up the extra nitrogen

Hey all thanks for the questions and comments.

Yes there are some nutrients that are not provided by the fish. The soil portion of the pot allows me to add those missing nutes to the plant. But keep them out of the fish water.
I have had to add cal mag and bloom nutes.
And I have added parsley and lettuce to the tote. They'll use up the extra nitrogen

That's awesome, how do you keep the nutes separate? Like I said, my son and I are discussing how to feed his plants at school, so I ask from a scholarly standpoint .

That's awesome, how do you keep the nutes separate? Like I said, my son and I are discussing how to feed his plants at school, so I ask from a scholarly standpoint .
I water the soil layer with just enough water to saturate the soil but not drain back into the fish water.

When I put the system together in the beginning of measured how much water the soil could hold without dripping or running into the bottom of the bucket.
So the soil could take about 1.5 quarts of water before leaking out. So I use about 1 quart to water with.

I hope I'm making sense lol.

Back
Top Bottom