Pollen Chuckers!

Lol

I just took it as a fun post....lol

Not an actual thread ....but I'm chucking a LOT of pollen currently, so I resemble that remark

While yes the Tread/Post was meant to be on the lighter side. I also was taking a jab at stigma of the moniker "Pollen Chuckers". For lots of different reasons most of us fall under this moniker. With that said there are lots of ways to make small batch seeds. I mentioned one in my comment that no one seemed to key in on it. This was the first time I used a small paintbrush to apply pollen to just one branch of a plant. To do this I covered most of the plant with a plastic bag. Leaving only the branch I wanted to pollenate. The brush sucks up pollen rather well and releases it easily by light tapping it above the buds. I also lightly painted it across all the small hairy buds. After that was done. I covered the pollenated branch and sprayed the rest of the plant with fresh water. I will repeat this again in a couple days. The plant was a Recon clone I had that was in the 4th week of flower. This was never a planned project. I had a early flowering male from another project pumping out pollen and I just couldn't resist. Ie: Pollen Chucker LMAO

Just noticed a bunch red hairs on one branch of the Recon Og. Thought something was wrong for a minute. Then I remembered it had been pollenated. Hairs are wilted and pods are starting to swell up so things are looking good. More people these days are spreading pollen. Just thought I would mention this little sign so others would be aware. After a hair catches pollen it will wilt and dry. It is a really good indicator that pollination has happened. This will happen when all the other hairs on other branches are white and fresh.

Just noticed a bunch red hairs on one branch of the Recon Og. Thought something was wrong for a minute. Then I remembered it had been pollenated. Hairs are wilted and pods are starting to swell up so things are looking good. More people these days are spreading pollen. Just thought I would mention this little sign so others would be aware. After a hair catches pollen it will wilt and dry. It is a really good indicator that pollination has happened. This will happen when all the other hairs on other branches are white and fresh.
I just had my ACDC, the God of Thunder, pop some pollen this am, will be creating fun stuffs in about a week

I've noticed the crinkled hairs myself. How long after pollination do you think they take the pollen?
I'll usually cover with a paper sack for 3-5 days, but thinking maybe that's too long

What say you my friend??

Not sure if that could be called to much. It is excessive though. The plants take care of this all by them selves so I don't have tons of info on this. Once a speck of pollen hits a bud the deed is pretty much done. The way you mentioned doing it is fine. You don't need to leave the bag on though. It is best to pollenate again in a couple of days. One key thing when pollenating only one branch is to be sure you spray down the rest of the plant with water so pollen wont spread. I use the same bag I used to cover when pollenating. I then flip it inside out and cover the pollenated branch so I could mist the rest of the plant with water............. I only used a small paint brush to spread pollen from start to finish it took less then 5 minutes. It sure wouldn't hurt to keep the bag on over night anything past that is overkill.

THIS JUST IN. New info on pollen I never knew! I was talking about pollenating plants with my mentor. In this conversation I learn that female plants will store pollen. How they store it I have no idea. He informed me that when a plant catches pollen early on the hairs will dry and it will start making a seed. These seeds will end up inside the bud when finished. When males are taken away and there is no more pollen. The female will release pollen to the later pods. Lots of times these later seeds will end up being immature when harvested. This was noticed by females continuing to make new seeds months after the males were taken away.

I actually kind of confirmed it in my Tahoe seed project. I had 1 immature seed on the surface. I cut the male branches off 6 weeks ago and there has been no pollen since. I sprayed the whole plant down before bringing it into the main flower room. Inner seeds are starting to burst out now and they are all finished and brown.

Positive that the pollen took on the Recon. Kind of funny how I noticed. Over the last couple days the pollenated branch has been leaning more and more. Finally had to restrain it. While all the other branches are fine. The pollenated one has become to heavy to hold its own weight because of the seeds being made. All the pods have cute little belly bumps.

Yes it is. I just harvested the Tahoe OG. I am hoping it is full of female seeds. I can see quite a few split pods with nice little brown seeds in them. No pollen has been present in the last 5 or 6 weeks. 1 small test bud showed 4 mature and no immature seeds. Trichomes show only a few amber ones. Harvest time for seeds worked perfectly as the buds are not over ripe. Never been so happy to soon be smoking seeded weed.

I hear that brother, I've got a bucket load coming myself!
912caf1204c525f5d07a89f5a3186ded.jpg

Half the plant looks just like this lmao

Another try the paint brush pollination. Looks like the Recon Og is producing plenty of seeds. So I am going to try it again. The biggest difference in what I am doing and what they suggest is time. I was always told to leave the bud exposed to pollen for at least a day. Then to repeat. After learning that a plant can store pollen I am choosing not to pollenate a second time. Also I am only exposing the bud to pollen only long enough to apply the pollen with a brush.....................................

Here what I did. First I purchased cheap small paint brushes. It came in a variety pack and at least 3 will work for what I want..............................
Step 1. I used a clean new piece of aluminum foil to catch pollen off the male plant.
Step 2. Use a small dry paint brush to clean up any pollen piles left. The brush sucks the pollen right up.
Step 3. Seal foil up for transport.
Step 4. Using a clean plastic bag. Cover 3/4 of the plant to be pollenated. Don't forget to make branches.
Step 5. Carefully Open foil and slowly paint on the pollen. Lightly flicking the brush over the buds helps release the pollen that has been soaked up by the brush. I do this and I paint it on the buds also. Make sure you get all the buds on the branch painted with pollen.
Step 6. Reverse the plastic bag slowly making sure not to break branches. I then mist the rest of the plant down with water. Then carefully remove bag. I then placed the plant in a corner with very little air movement.
Step 7 Wait and feed. 1 downfall to this method is the plant should be fed though out the seed making process. No flushing for this one. I grow in soil and use only guano's so it is not a huge problem for me. It will only effect flavor. Also these branches may need a longer finish time then the non pollenated branches to finish the seeds all the way. Harvest when seeds split out of the pods..
I should be clear here and say that yes I might get a couple extra seeds from drifting pollen. I am only working with 1 male now so all seeds will be of know strains. Also I am working with a known male from a known strain. This is the planned project for this male. I am back crossing to a very potent strain that only lacks flavor. Here's how all the genetics line up.
Mother plant. Blue Russian = Trailer Trash Betty x (Blueberry x Northern Lights). This plant showed sex at 6 inches tall while in veg. Very bushy with tons of crystal and a fruity smell.
Father plant. This is a 2003 Trailer Trash Betty. This is the year with the best flavor. TTB is a home made White Russian that has been reworked over the years with Super Silver Haze and other genetics. This male didn't show sex tell soon after lights were dropped to 12/12. It does show some of the other great Betty traits. This is a real bushy plant with close internodes. This strain can produce as much as 6 ounces per plant in 2 gallon pots. It reacts very well to super cropping so there is no need to top these plants. This male also produces crystal and carry their traits rather well.
The 1 main trait of Trailer Trash Betty is no ceiling. The more you smoke the higher you get. This out of a strain that is in the 20% THC range can get quite interesting to smoke. When this trait is transferred it makes for excellent smoke. Though it has never been tested I'm sure this strain is in the low 20% THC. With this back cross I'm hoping to get better flavor and a increase in resin production. I'm not sure how these genetics will blend but it is doubtful that the offspring will be worse then the parents. In the end I may not get better but I shouldn't loose anything either.

Back
Top Bottom