Has anyone smart homed their grow tent?

BrokrnEyes

Over the Christmas holiday, my parents got an echo dot and a few smart home devices of which they asked me to set up for them in their den. After about an hour I had the system up and running and was admittedly rather impressed by the fact that the lights, TV, and really everything in the den canal be controlled with my voice or my smart phone. When I got back to my own place, I went on to Amazon and started looking at all the smart home products. The first thing that popped into my head when I saw the smart home power strips, and even a smart home temperature and humidity probe that did not need to be hooked into the thermostat, was how to apply this to my grow tent.

Smart home temperature and humidity probe, which is of particular interest, can have it's an off threshold set to turn any device plugged into it on or off, perfect for turning on a ventilation fan when the interior of the grow tent gets too hot or too humid.

The individual outlets on the smart home power strips, unfortunately it seems that all of these power strips only have four outlets and for USB outlets, can be independently controlled to turn on and off (The USB outlets are controlled as a block, and so would be more useful for circulation fans).

From my own experiences with the smart outlets my parents got, I know that these can run on timers that you set from your smart home, as well as can be turned on and off from the same device when at least in the wi-fi network (I haven't had a chance yet to test if you can control the system outside of the network, but would be surprised if I couldn't. What's more, the fact that I could set the schedules from my smart phone means that it would be far easier on my eyes (admittedly a personal issue) then giving myself a headache trying to read the LCD screen of the timers currently use, not to mention the hassle of reprogramming them during a Grow.

So has anyone actually done this to their grow tent yet? If so, what are your thoughts and experiences? Would you recommend it?

I have seen a couple of people here mentioning something like that in passing. One guy was able to see his tent interior--plant + temp/humidity gauge--from his smart phone. All I can do is view images that my time lapse camera takes from either computer in my house (again, plant temp/humidity), but even just that--being able to see what's going on without having to go to the tent and open it up--is pretty cool. It just occurred to me that if I install an IR light source I can see in there when the lights are out as well.

Yeah I saw cameras as well, though until a pair of old men in DC are removed from power I don't feel comfortable putting that sort of tech in a grow tent. I have to admit I'm really itching to do this.

until a pair of old men in DC are removed from power I don’t feel comfortable putting that sort of tech in a grow tent.

Only two? (One FOR SURE!)

I'm legal and this is limited to my home network, but yeah, caution is called for (and not just with plant images--having Alexa or Siri or whoever listening in on my life gives me the willies).

I use smart strips. I have one that has 4 plugs and each can be controlled individually. I like it because I can set on and off schedules easy from my phone anywhere I am. I didn't think of the temp/humidity probe tho so I'll be looking into that now as well!

Only two? (One FOR SURE!)

I'm legal and this is limited to my home network, but yeah, caution is called for (and not just with plant images--having Alexa or Siri or whoever listening in on my life gives me the willies).

Yeah, ATM (and honestly, probably more realistically) I want Sessions out. Granted he wouldn't be doing this without Drumph's go ahead and there's no guarantee the next one would be any less idiotic but if this roll call vote goes through a lot of Republicans are going to be on the spot if they state their against legal pot especially given this year is a midterm year, they're already going to take a beating but this and net neutrality may see them not having the White House for a few terms.

Honestly, I'm not too concerned about Siri or any of the other smart home AI's, it will only take 1 confirmablr account of what is said around them being given to the authorities/government to crash their stock value anf I don't think any of the companies are willing to risk it. Heck, Apple to its credit refused to help open smartphones for thid very reason.

I have 2 Sonoff switch/sensors connected and monitor with iPhone. You can turn off device too. You have to wire the switch. Odd thing is the TH16 has a loop timer setting, but the Sonoff 4CH has NO loop timer and you are limited to 8 events. So I plug the TH16 into the 4CH switch so I can switch the looper. IOS app- EWeLink

Back
Top Bottom